Q Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 27, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Outstanding learning environment"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Working directly with the GP on a daily basis
    - Thesis vetting by the broader investment group and collective decision making
    - Very organized process oriented approach

Cons

Nothing material that is worth mentioning

2. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Q Investments full-time

Pros

-Team-oriented atmosphere
    -Smart, creative, hard-working colleagues
    -Culture of quick, concise communication
    -Emphasis on attention to detail
    -Flat organizational structure
    -Regular feedback from leadership
    -Hands-on learning and training from experts in your group
    -Recruiting team that works hard to ensure every hire is a good fit

The skills you learn from the culture and people at Q will set you up for success, whether you work your whole career at Q or move elsewhere down the road.

Cons

No company is perfect or perfect for everyone! As with any company, ask questions and be open with recruiters/interviewers during the hiring process to ensure a mutual good fit.

3. "Amazing professional opportunity. The best people/team around!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-wonderful, smart and hard working people and great team-oriented, collaborative environment
    -great place to learn and grow professionally
    - fast-paced, interesting & challenging work
    -impressive, thoughtful and supportive management team
    -free lunch is an awesome (and rare) perk!

I miss my coworkers and exceptional team every day! The team and quality of people - both on a personal and professional level - are unlike anywhere else you will experience in your career. If you ever have the opportunity to join this team, you certainly won't regret it.

Cons

Very hard to think of a Con - my overall experience at Q was am amazing one. The hours are somewhat longer than your traditional 40 hr work week - but still very reasonable, especially given the valuable professional experience you gain in return.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the all-around wonderful experience! Keep doing what you're doing.

"Best Employment Experience Ever"

Former Employee - Various in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Various in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to experience and grow in all functional areas of a diversified and disciplined investment firm. Firm's integrity in everything it does is number one, and its fairness and respect of employees is highly valued. Training courses and philosophies are conveyed in a systematic and thorough process.

Cons

All issues over 10 years of employment are too insignificant to mention. Buy in to the system and experience personal growth.

Advice to Management

Maintain the course.

5. "Challenging, But Rewarding"

Former Employee - Financial Control Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Control Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you get an interview, take it as a compliment. Q only interviews the best and brightest and only hires those who are a “Q fit.” As stated in other reviews, the culture is open and transparent. The job is challenging. This will not be your typical finance desk job. Each day can be different as the firm is dynamic and fluid. As new opportunities arise, your job will likely shift to satisfy changes, but I found it stimulating rather than intimidating.

Though the learning curve is steep, the learning environment at Q is unmatched, in my opinion. There are no barriers to learning - literally, there are no cube walls separating those that would collaborate. They make use of extensive training tools and resources for you to take advantage of, the most valuable being the people around you. Q is a team. Be willing to commit to the plan and to your coaches, and you might even have some fun. Don’t be afraid of what you don’t know! Asking questions is valuable to your team. “It’s not what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for certain to be true that just isn’t so.”

The compensation package is generous for the region, but be ready to perform.

Q is held in high esteem across the industry and nationwide. You will have exposure to numerous other firms and contacts. Be prepared to maintain that good reputation.

My advice? Take advantage of the brilliant minds and experience around you. Be coachable. Learn something every day, and stay open to change and opportunity. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Enjoy what you do!

Cons

The hours can be long, particularly early in the year for those involved in the financial statement audit. You will encounter stress from time to time as you manage the demands of the job, but that’s a valuable lesson. You need to make yourself available via e-mail or phone always.

6. "Review from a one-time, long-time"

I worked at Q Investments full-time

Pros

- Very competent/smart co-workers, with a team over individual mentality.
    - Detailed and process oriented work load - "give me the answer, and make sure it right".
    - Long and successful track record
    - Highly regarded in the industry
    - Challenging and fast paced; individuals that succeed have the ability to pivot and present complicated information in many different ways.
    - Good compensation package.
    - Flat organization with virtually no office politics.
    - Strong leadership at the top, and throughout the chain of command.
    - Facts trump opinions, new ideas are welcomed - when the play is called, everyone executes.
    - presents employees with the opportunity to work with some of the very best people in the industry (both within Q and outside relationships)
    - very flexible capital with the ability to break into new markets/asset classes etc.
    - committed to finding new opportunities and hiring the right people to succeed

Cons

- tethered to your desk and email, but candidates should know this going into the job
    - hours can be long, work can be stressful - but, what job isn't?
    - Note - Q doesn't apologize for its culture; either you're a fit, or you're not. If you're considering a position, know what you're committing to before you accept. Q does a very good job being transparent on the culture because they believe they have created one that works for the company. This is not meant to be a warning, rather advice to truly consider whether or not you can commit to what is expected.

"Rewarding, Professional,"

Former Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GREAT place to work. I was the only female employee in the IT department and IT is very male dominated field however at Q I never felt it was an issue as they treated everyone with equal respect and professionalism. The management, especially the partners went above and beyond to accommodate my religious holidays as a Muslim employee and also made reasonable accommodations throughout my pregnancy. I got to learn a lot and grew my career when I was at Q. During my last year I actually got to work full time directly reporting to the CEO of the company and that experience is/was extremely valuable. Q definitely hires the best and the brightest and then brings out the very best in them and if you are a Q fit, you will succeed. Q invests a lot in their employees by making sure we have helpful tools and constant feedback available. The management is always there to help. They also offer a lot of training videos about the company’s philosophy, management styles, and strategic planning to help us be successful. Here is a short list of some of the pros of working at Q:
    - Endless learning opportunities.
    - FREE LUNCHES delivered from local downtown restaurants.
    - Vending machines that allow free soft drinks.
    - Company sponsored team dinner outings for you and your spouse/partner at upscale restaurants.
    - Decent sized portfolio yet a small firm, you are able to get feedback from the management faster.
    - No workplace politics, Q is very focused on success. You will not find negative nancies, debbie downers, or negative nathans here.
    - They often gave us extra time off during labor days.
    - Family like atmosphere, open office area that allow us to work closely with our teams.
    - They have a lot of other perks I may not be able to discuss in details, but you will see in the policy : )

Cons

I honestly do not think there are any cons, however they maybe a few things that can be challenging for you.
    - Hours can be long, do not expect your typical 9-5. That should not be an issue for anyone who is hard working and driven. I view it as a competitive advantage that will stay with me throughout my life, I will never settle for a 9-5. The day ended at 6 pm for most teams which is reasonable.

- Lunches at your desk could be a challenge, it was a challenge for me when I joined, however I got used to it and I prefer eating at my desk now, even though my current employer does not require it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, Q is doing an excellent job.

"Top Tier, Dynamic Investment Firm"

I worked at Q Investments full-time

Pros

- Hands down some of the smartest people I've had the privilege of working with. You don't earn a track record of excellence and out-sized returns for more than 20 years without it.
    - When Q decides to commit to an investment, they dedicate the appropriate resources, time, and effort to it, and they do it the right way. In the process, you get to actively participate in an incredibly disciplined process and be involved first-hand in what it takes to execute a best-in-class investment strategy.
    - Right sized firm. Big enough to exert influence on core investments at the firm when necessary, but also small enough to be nimble and always pursue the best market risk/reward opportunities (not just own the market outright).
    - Tremendous learning experience. Put in the time and effort to do the work the right way and contribute to the Q team, and you will have some amazing opportunities to work on a wide variety of incredibly interesting market-relevant investment opportunities.
    - Flat organization. There aren't layers of management to navigate through. You get an opportunity to work with senior partners and investment professionals. You also get to work alongside the founder/CIO, who (1) has been in the business a long time, (2) created in Q an incredibly well-managed investment firm with an exceptional long-term track record that many fund managers would be envious of, and (3) is actively engaged in the business / investment process. Simply a great environment to share ideas, learn, and ultimately execute on the right investment opportunities.
    - What you see is what you get. Not a political place. A very strong culture of communication. You know where you stand at all times, and you get virtually instant feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Cons

I don't have much to add here by way of cons other than items related to fit and culture. The firm spends a lot of time upfront figuring out if they are a fit for you and you are a fit for them. They don't pretend to be the right place for everyone, but if they are the right place for you, and you get an opportunity to work there, I think you would undoubtedly thrive.
    - Team player, not me-first culture. If you're willing to do the work that the team demands, the way that the team demands it to be done, you will succeed here long-term. Check your ego at the door. Working at Q is about making the team better, no matter how big or small you perceive the specific task at hand may be. Using a football analogy, you have plenty of opportunities to contribute and draft up the next play. But once that play is called, the team gets together to execute, and your job is to help execute the play with the rest of the team.
    - If you're expecting a 9-5 investment job, this isn't the place for you. Having said that, the hours are driven by actual meaningful work that have an economic impact on the firm, and not by face time. Being a naturally curious investment professional, I found Q to provide an appropriate work-life balance within the confines of traditional demands of the investment business. Equally as important to me, I found my actual time at work to be intellectually rewarding.
    - Impeccable detail oriented. Many people say they are detail oriented but are really not. If you are more of a high level thinker, Q may not be the right fit for you. Q values people who "roll up your sleeves" and "get into the weeds" of the work that you do. It's not a place to sit back and let others do the work for you.
    - Not your traditional corporate ladder. Don't expect lots of chains of command or promotions at regular intervals, but do expect to be rewarded and recognized for hard work, doing things the Q way, loyalty, and team effort.

"A company for self-driven creatives and thinkers"

Former Employee - Trader in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Trader in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Q for about 10 years, in both operations and investments.

I remember exactly why I wanted to work at Q. I had a job offer from another company, and I had already accepted it. I remember meeting my future colleagues at this other business. After a few hours of chatting and conversing, I felt a sense of dread as I realized I might be the smartest person in the room.

I then came for an interview at Q, just to be thorough in my job search. After the first round of interviews and introductions, I felt that I might be the dumbest person in the room. That drew me in completely; the opportunity to learn from others employees at Q was incredibly compelling.

You will excel at Q Investments if you are naturally curious and creative, if you are willing to accept the experience of your co-workers and bosses while also challenging their status quo, if you are willing to be outspoken and have an opinion while also respecting the thoughts and opinions of others, and if you are willing to work under a chain of command.

Because Q is not a large company (less than 100 people), a natural assumption is that there would be fewer opportunities for growth. On the contrary, Q presents more opportunities for growth/expansion than a large company, because the challenges of the hedge fund business constantly present new opportunities, and fewer employees means each person is responsible for a wider variety of tasks.

If you're willing to put in the study time on your own, if you're willing to speak up about what you want to accomplish, and if you show an acumen for both the job you're doing and the next job you're interested in, Q will reward that initiative. I nearly tripled my total pay package in my decade at Q; I received a raise and bonus increase every single year. If you want to earn more, you will.

Q doesn't have a defined career-track program like a Fortune 500 company. No one is going to hold your hand as you learn the ropes. You're not expected to know much on Day 1, but you're expected to learn quickly and be adaptable.

Even after nearly a decade of experience at Q, I was expected to handle a variety of tasks. One hour I was trading millions worth of stocks and bonds, and the next hour I was making dinner reservations for invited guests, and the next hour I was analyzing and summarizing large amounts of market data.

Smaller companies like Q put everyone on their toes. Mediocre performers cannot hide behind a boss or a co-worker; excellent performers stand out.

Note that lunch at Q is catered by many different restaurants (at no charge to employees), and you're expected to stay in the office and not leave. When I first started working at Q, I loved the free lunch program. After a year, I disliked it; I wanted to leave the office for lunch sometimes. But after another year passed, I was back to enjoying free lunch, and frankly never looked back again. I finally figured that going to get my own lunch every day was not really "freedom"; instead, it was a burden. I learned that Q's free lunch is a good trade-off that increased my pay package.

Over the years I also learned the secret that other Q reviews haven't revealed: nobody really cares if you leave the office occasionally. While the standard policy is to be in the office during office hours (like most trading firms), many employees will take a walk outside for several minutes to enjoy the sun or get a coffee. Many employees take time away from the office for doctors appointments or to go to school events. If you're an employee who has shown promise and performance, you're not going to be prevented from attending your child's recital; this is an absurdist viewpoint that I can confidently tell you isn't fact. I've even seen employees take months off (unpaid) or perform remote work (in another country) in extenuating circumstances. Many things are negotiable for the employee earning his keep!

The owner of the company has been doing this for a long time. He has his way of doing things, and it has worked for him for more than 20 years. Don't expect to come in and upturn the apple cart. Be willing to listen and take instructions and you'll get along with him very well. I can honestly say that while I disagreed with him at various times over the years, I always felt able to express my objections and I never felt like he wouldn't listen to me. I changed his mind over the years sometimes, and he changed my mind a lot, too. He was very good to me and my family in my time at Q, and I am grateful for everything I learned under his tutelage. This was true of all of the partners at Q. I still talk to each of them as friends.

If you're not into titles on business cards, if you're not into wearing suits to work, if you're not into having six layers of bosses between you and the CEO, then you'll enjoy Q. And if you're smart and innovative, they'll love you back.

Cons

Q is not a place for people that want to leave the office every day at 5 pm. You will be expected to work until 6 pm most days, and sometimes longer, and you will be expected to at least read your emails each night and a few times each weekend. For some roles, you may need to be in more constant contact in certain situations. I worked some holidays and some weekends over the years. If you value your free time significantly more than your career or you want a 40-hour workweek, Q is not for you. That is as bluntly as I can put it. Summers are slower and may present more opportunities for time off, vacation, travel, etc.

Q is not a place for people to learn non-Microsoft enterprise-level software. Q doesn't use Jira, or SalesForce, or Oracle, or Hadoop, or Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services, or a number of other up-and-coming cloud-based platforms. Much of Q's software is developed in-house and is proprietary, tailored to the specific needs of Q's business. On the investments side, you'll spend nearly all of your time in either Excel, Bloomberg, and Q's proprietary software. If you place a strong emphasis on learning and using the latest cloud-based software, Q is not a place for you. My personal belief is that Q's software stance is not a strong positive or negative either way, but I wanted to mention this for the small minority of people who do care. Q's huge upside is an IT and developer teams that are more than capable of making modifications to existing software to meet new business needs and challenges. I rarely experienced computer issues, and I very often was able to get software changes approved when I could prove the need. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. If you don't ask for something, you won't get it; that's as true at Q as it is in life.

"Great Firm to Work At! Accept Offer if You Have the Chance."

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Q Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Challenging and rewarding firm to work at. Employees receive a lot of on the job training, and work in a collaborative environment. Well performing employees in all divisions can expect to be given new opportunities and responsibilities over time.
    -Firm has a very flat operating structure. Employees that are just starting out their careers will get experience working directly with senior investment team members. All investment team members will interact with and learn from the firm’s partners and founder (20+ years running a successful hedge fund).
    -Q Investments has a very broad investment mandate, and can invest in anything and everything if the risk-reward makes sense. You will never be bored with nothing to look at because the market segment you cover is unattractive. Q constantly moves into new asset classes, so you will have chances to learn about other markets and strategies.
    -Good benefits like catered lunch, in office coffee/beverages, holiday meals, firm activities, scheduling, and investment opportunities.
    -Central office location in downtown Fort Worth.
    -Overall, a great opportunity to join a top performing and established investment fund, and work with many other talented and driven individuals.

Cons

-Given the nature of the business (investing capital in global markets), deadlines and schedules can get tight at times. All efforts are made to accommodate non-work schedules but every now and then deadlines must be met.