QA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
William Macpherson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a pool table so break times are always exciting (Just make sure you pot at least one ball or you will end up on the 7-ball wall) (in 9 reviews)

• Great social opportunities - weekly office-wide social events with free drinks, games and pool tournaments (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The training is unpaid for three months (in 11 reviews)

• 2 year contract with ridiculous pay back fee based on poor training program (in 4 reviews)

1. "International Recruitment Officer"

Pros

flexible, growing business, and travel

Cons

sometimes a bit disoranized, but this was due to being a new company!

2. "Ehhh..."

I worked at QA full-time

Pros

Got to work with excellent people

Cons

Trained in a technology where there was little demand for
    Spent 6 months on the bench
    No health benefits
    Poor communication between UK and US offices

Advice to Management

Improve communication
    Offer more benefits
    Improve training pipeline

QA Response

Apr 26, 2017

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with our people at QA. Regarding the points you mention, it is sometimes the case (as with many other consulting businesses) that a situation of being on... More

3. "Amazing"

I worked at QA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture and values

Cons

Expanding too quickly so it was very busy and difficult to hire staff easily to match the growth

4. "Managers Are Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at QA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits including 401K, vacation, flex time, work life balance

Cons

Since there is no/unlimited sick time your off time is monitored. Just don't abuse the benefit and co workers will rat you out if they know you are not sick.

"Not a desirable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

No set rules, and no management.

Cons

After working at QA for almost a year, I was so unhappy and fit up with the management BS and lies. There's a total lack of leadership skills and technical expertise which the management is always looking for ways to cover up with BS reasons. Employees are just diligent working bees without any transparency from the bosses. A high volume of employee turnover happened since I started last year with a range of 12-15 people who left the company both voluntarily or involuntarily. Many people have been let go with indecent management decisions. If you're looking for job security and mature management structure, don't work for this place.

"The best of the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training provided
    Academy staff exemplary

QAC is a great place to work. The staff (particularly John Gordon) are great and the career opportunities seem endless. Hard work really is rewarded, which for me personally is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

7. "Perfect start for a career in technology"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at QA (Less than a year)

Pros

Superb training facilities at the academy in Salford Quays, Manchester.
    The current trainers at the academy made the 3 months a worthwhile experience. They really know their stuff and are on hand to help and answer any questions you may have.
    This sentiment also extends the other staff members in the Manchester office. Jordan is pivotal in preparing the trainees to go to interviews with clients. It is very apparent that the work he has put into the preparation process gets you comfortable with the interview process (as there might be a couple).
    I could talk about everyone individually at the academy as there is a fantastic atmosphere within the office where you are made to feel very welcome encouraged to be as active as possible both in the classroom and outside of it.

Great opportunities for events at the company. During the academy there is a welcome drinks every 6 weeks or so with a healthy bar tab at a local pub. We've just had our company summer update at a roof top bar in London for the current consultants deployed in the area. This is a great chance to see some old faces from the academy, network with other consultants and have a chat with the CEO. And again, another healthy tab put behind the bar!

Regarding deployment, you'll get the chance to work for some of the incredible clients QA have. In many cases these clients do not take on graduates so you'll be in a very good position to start a career in technology.
    The engagement team whilst you are on-site have been brilliant with any question I had for them. Almost all of their clients have a QA consultant as a liaison officer so you will be put in touch with them and you can ask any of the day to day questions to them. Any bigger problems the Engagement team are on hand to solve the issue you might have.

Cons

Naturally, the three months of unpaid training is not ideal but you are made very aware of that before signing up to any commitments. You will be offered accommodation for the three months or a bursary of £650 p/m.

Communication is always a big problem in a role like this. Sometimes I have felt a little left in the dark with things like interview feedback, security clearance (if required) and on-site information. However, this is getting better. The newly implemented Consultant Engagement team Team is there to support the consultants with the problems they may have. This includes technical support and training, welfare, administrative tasks and anything you could really think of.

Ultimately, it is up to you to maintain the communication. I quickly realised that if I don't chase the issue or ask questions, no one is going to answer them. So please keep that in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!
    I am genuinely thrilled with my time so far with QA Consulting. Of course there are going to be some problems here and there but it is also very clear that you listen to the staff and want to improve the service. I'd encourage the academy trainees to take the weekly feedback seriously as they will consider any suggestions you tell them.
    Continue to improve the communication channels between clients, academy staff and trainees. Whether it is good news or bad news, anything is better than no news.
    I can see the on-site engagement will only improve. I have only recently been deployed but any questions I had have been answered quickly and thoroughly by the team. But regular interactions will go along way.

8. "Review"

Pros

Big secure company and nice office

Cons

Small wages and the senior management are dodge

Advice to Management

Be nicer

"Fast growing, market leading consulting business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at QA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on projects utilising cutting edge technologies, with market leading customers in the public and private sectors.
    Work for an award winning consultancy (computing magazine's DevOps excellence awards - consulting firm of the year 2017)
    Sell a compelling, unique proposition into Enterprise accounts

Cons

The speed and scale of our growth means that employees need to be independent and think for themselves. It's a very entrepreneurial environment, which isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"One year on and still amazing company to work for."

Current Employee - Tutor/Assessor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Tutor/Assessor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at QA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with the apprentices at QA. Every day is different. The support that I have received from my line manager and team is second to none. Everybody gets along with each other and I feel that we provide quality support to our learners both in the classroom and in the workplace. Car allowance is very generous, good benefits. The induction process into the organisation was fantastic with training being provided and a full six month plan.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the way the NPI all seems based on the final question. Apart from that fantastic all round.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!