QKids ESL Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

ESL Teacher

4.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You can work from home and basically set your own hours" (in 38 reviews)

• "They are eager to learn which makes your role as a teacher easy to teach" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasionally technical issues (very rare)" (in 24 reviews)

• "It limits the amount of hours to teach to either very early morning or late at night" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Incredible Company!"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

QKids offers great part-time hours that allow you to finish teaching every early in the day.
    The QKids staff is amazing, and I cannot rave enough about how wonderful they treat their employees and how kind they are to work for.
    The children are very sweet and enjoyable to work with.
    With small classes, it's very easy to interact and provide one-on-one attention during class.
    There is no lesson planning or grading-a teacher's dream!
    This job has great (and consistent) pay and scheduling.

Cons

Although it's not really a con, I wish I could teach more classes! With the time difference, teaching four classes a day is standard. It is perfect as a part-time position though!
    Also, once in a while it can be a struggle to be engaging at 6am, but it is definitely worth it.

Advice to Management

You have been such a blessing to me, and I am very grateful for the consistent and kind manner in which you interact with your teachers. Keep it up!

Mar 20, 2018 – BD

Thank you so much for the input! We appreciate your support very much.

2. "Good for supplemental income"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher

I have been working at QKids as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You choose your schedule. The company is AMAZING. The work is pretty fun, if you like kids.

Cons

The hours. If you cannot find a way to wake up early then don't even consider this. I hate waking up every morning at 3 AM and not even to really work "full time." So I could never live off this alone, but I personally couldn't work this job and another job at the same time due to scheduling conflicts.

3. "Good summer job, otherwise not worth it"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Fairfax, VA
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at QKids as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Beautifully designed lesson plans

- Teachable students

- Very few tech issues. (If there are tech issues from either side, QKids is understanding, but thankfully they are infrequent)

- You are given a "mentor / coach" who is your direct point of contact with the company and they are easily accessible on the WeChat app.

- Friendly communication from the company and the mentor. Everyone seems to be pretty laid back and personable.

- Work from home

- Direct deposit once a month, always on time

- Teachers get a full schedule in the summer months

-The iPhone teacher app is wonderful and convenient

Cons

- Very low pay (9 months out of the year it's $9 per class. In the summer it's $10 per class)

- They state that there is a minimum amount of classes you must teach every week, but this is not true. The company assigns your classes and outside of peak summer months, it does not matter how many class slots you open or what times you open them. They will only assign 5-7 classes to you per week.

-In order to get $10 per class, you must teach 15+ classes per week. It does not matter if you open your schedule to accommodate 15+, if they assign less than 15 classes to you, you will only get $9 per class (provided you get positive family feedback for the class, otherwise it's $8 per class).

- This company over hires teachers to facilitate the influx of summer students and does not distribute what classes they do have in an equitable way during off peak times.

- This company is deceitful in how they handle the bulk of their teachers during off peak times. They are not forth coming about class assignments (senior teachers retain full schedules), while most teachers are given the scraps.

- They have a kind of bizarre 5 point teacher ranking system, which they are also not forthcoming about, and which teachers cannot see.

- This is not reliable or stable income (except in the summer).

- It's really discouraging and confusing to your teachers to see that some teachers get consistently full schedules week after week, while most do not and no reasons are ever given.

- Waking up at 5:00 a.m. to teach 1 $9 class (or two $9 classes if it's a lucky day) is unmotivating and frustrating.

Advice to Management

QKids, you spout such wonderful sentiments about your teachers on social media accounts, but you have a severe lack of transparency and accountability with how you treat most of us.

If you are going to continue to rank teachers and base how many classes they receive on those rankings, please at least be forthcoming and honest about it. It is extremely unmotivating and unprofessional to see that some teachers retain full schedules, while most of us do not.

Change your attendance policy so that teachers can reach the $10 per class mark even if we aren't assigned 15+ classes, which is out of our control since you assign the scheduling.

We are up hours before the sun comes up working with multiple small children, singing the bingo song (multiple times!), clapping, cheering them on, smiling constantly for 30 minutes. It is in the company's best interest to have happy, motivated teachers.

"Amazing Flexibility"

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff are so helpful and welcoming. I have been working for them for almost a year and they are always willing to answer your questions in the quickest way possible. They also allow you to have a flexible schedule, if you need to take a day off you can tell them at least 24 hours before without penalty. Other companies require you to give them at least a two week notice before requesting time off. Therefore, Qkids matches my schedule the best, when I need to take time off for studying or if plans change at the last minute. The teaching platform is very innovative and fun to use when teaching the kids. They are always so happy and eager to learn.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons, the only issue is the time difference between China and the USA. It limits the amount of hours to teach to either very early morning or late at night.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome to your teachers! They are always there to listen and help out. This creates such a nice work environment to be a part of.

Oct 12, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you so much for your valuable input! We are constantly striving to better ourselves as always! We are only lucky to have you in ou Qkids family~ Hope you enjoy teaching~

5. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher

I have been working at QKids as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Pays well
    -Premade lesson plan
    -Amazing kids
    -Helpful and supportive staff

Cons

-Stressful hours if you teaching both morning and evening. It doesn't allow for a comfortable amount of sleep
    -Not enough hours available, I would do it full time if I could.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is fantastic and use of the software is great!

Cons

Getting a bad rating is kind of scary due to previous reviews.

Sep 10, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you very much for your sincere feedback! We truly appreciate all your efforts and your understanding towards Qkids! Please feel free to contact your coaches/trainers we will be more than happy... More

"Good Extra Money"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Columbia, SC

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work in your PJs! Great way to make extra money on the side. The children are adorable and very well behaved. Staff seems to always be available to answer questions.

Cons

Only get paid once a month.

Advice to Management

Listing $16-$20 an hour is a little misleading since you have to log into the class before it begins, and then wait 10 minutes before your next class begins. Therefore, making it $16-$20 for about an hour and a half.

Sep 10, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you very much for your sincere comments! We truly appreciate your efforts in teaching and your understanding towards Qkids. We have well noted your advice and will take action in the future if... More

"ESL teacher"

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent teaching platform, everything is planned all you have to do is guide the kids through the class. The kids are very smart and have usually already reviewed the lesson beforehand so it's even easier thanks to this.

Staff are very understanding and collaborative. They're always there when help is needed or you have a question. I have always been paid fairly and on time.

Cons

Somtimes during the off season there seems to be fewer classes available

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Sep 10, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you very much for your sincere feedback! We truly appreciate all your efforts in teaching with Qkids! It is true that fewer students sign up for the classes when Chinese public school begins... More

"Had great expctations that became shattered over time"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, kids can be fun to teach.

Cons

VERY BUGGY PROGRAM. System crashes frequently, to a point where you miss your class and you don't get paid. And even if you do get paid, you can't get that attendance bonus or performance bonus that really makes this job somewhat worth it. Very unfair when you are adamant about being on-time, only for the program to fail on you.

Lessons are extremely boring and sometimes don't make sense as to how this will teach anyone English for that matter. The need to smile constantly is unrealistic and draining. Parents are ALWAYS interrupting the lessons and saying the answers out loud during class. Sometimes I've seen parents physically hit children on screen if they don't cooperate or say something wrong. There's always that one Chinese dad in the background without a shirt on, itching his stomach; and frankly, it's disgusting.

Scheduling rules are very confusing and vague. They have an app where you can schedule yourself or request shifts off. But they say not to use it and only email them or use wechat for scheduling. Then, WHY EVEN MAKE AN APP???

Your teaching supervisor is always emailing you constantly tips you need to work on in your classes. Feels strange to be constantly watched and ridiculed on every movement and way you teach.

Advice to Management

Get better IT. Fix all the bugs in your program. Find a way to get parents to stop interrupting or even physically abusing your students. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions!
    We are sorry about your experience with Qkids. Online teaching can be challenging since it is affected by the network and the system sometimes... More

"Great job for ESL teachers"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at QKids part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids and the classes are fun, it`s very easy to communicate with staff, they will give me time off as required or needed. They offer reasonable money for your time. They offer weekly bonuses and extra classes during summer and winter.
    There classes are always improving, which show the company worries about the quality of their product. Since I started working there, I`ve seen many changes and all of them were for a better and more efficient service.

Cons

I don`t think they offer any pay raise even if you work there for a long time and since the company is not located in the US, they won't deposit your social security, you will have to pay both shares to the government as self-employed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it's very easy to talk to management and get support even during classes. I love this job.

Sep 10, 2018 – Marketing Representative

Thank you very much for your sincere feedback! We so appreciate all your efforts in teaching with Qkids. We have well noted your suggestions and will take actions in the future if possible! Thank you... More