QKids Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Have always wanted to work from home (in 29 reviews)

• The pay is great for minimal hours (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Waking up early can be hard but gets easier with time (in 11 reviews)

• There can be some minor technical issues with the software (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic work"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at QKids part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for JiuQu is really wonderful. I've been working for them for over half a year and I've not had problems with management; they really easy to work with and really some of the friendliest bosses (if not people) I've worked with. And I love teaching the kids! They're so cute and so much fun! I like teaching the children that can speak a little more English, but I know other teachers who like teachers beginners more. You'll get every experience. It's also really great part-time pay. Base pay is $16 but super easy to reach bonuses to get $20 an hour. I also move a lot, so it's really convenient and nice to have steady work wherever I go (even though it's just part time). I know I'll always have work and income. It's also great work experience, especially if you want to continue doing ESL work (which I am pursuing). For many, it'll just be part-time work, but it is literally the best part-time work you'll ever find.

Cons

-Depending on where you live (the further west in the US the earlier you have to get up to teach) it can be very early in the morning, which can be a little rough if you go to bed late.

-There can be some minor technical issues with the software. But usually, it's on the students' end. For example, their mics won't work so you can't hear them or their camera's broken so you can see them. It can make things a little more difficult.

Advice to Management

Some of the technical could be ironed out and just a few of the lessons flow in a rather awkward way (activities are kind of disconnected). However, I noticed this is resolved already in latter lessons.

2. "Online English Teacher"

I have been working at QKids part-time

Pros

Extremely kind and understanding staff

Cons

Very early mornings, that's it

3. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Columbus, OH

I have been working at QKids part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic pay- no one else is making $16-20 an hour as a sophomore in college!
    Wonderful, understanding staff- They saw that I was sick during my lessons and offered me time off, and they are extremely understanding when you have to call off for classes!
    It's SO rewarding! Watching the kids understand and learn is amazing, and the classes are so much fun you're laughing right along with them.
    The system is incredibly well designed and intuitive. The kids play games, write, speak, listen, role-play, and practice every style of learning.

Cons

Waking up early was a bit rough at the beginning but you do get used to it!

Sometimes there are technical problems but managment is very good at dealing with them.

Advice to Management

If the teachers could see their ratings and know what to improve that would help us immensely!

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at QKids part-time

Pros

Great Msnagement!!! Amazing Students. They are great to work for. Very understanding. Also prepare yourself for each class. We all have our ups and downs but do your very best to reach the children. It’s an amazing job. Always able to communicate to my trainer and management.

Cons

Lots of tech issues but management handles each and every one.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. Thank you!!

5. "Rewarding Career"

I have been working at QKids part-time

Pros

The staff is very friendly and supportive, they truly want you to succeed. The pay is amazing and the kids are a joy to work with.

Cons

No cons as of right now

6. "ESL Teacher"

I have been working at QKids full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Rewarding, Flexible Schedule, Work From Home, The Children Are Adorable and Eager to Learn, Management is Super Helpful

Cons

Very Early Shifts (2:40am for me) Parents also have the power in regards to your schedule because they can sometimes rate you unfairly.

Advice to Management

I love this job and it is so rewarding helping other children learn the English language. Even though I work very early, seeing the children's faces makes it so worth it. Thank you for allowing me to a teacher for QKids!

"Great Job for Extra Income"

Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at QKids part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work from home
    - Friendly team in China
    - Children are adorable and fun to work with
    - You can teach 4 classes in the morning and still be done by 8:10 am
    - Schedule is flexible. You can choose the classes that work best for you and absences do not negatively impact you if given 24 hours in advance
    - Incentive bonuses for attendance and performance

Cons

- Paid monthly (not actually a con for me, but could be for some)
    - Part-time employment, so no benefits available
    - You have to handle your tax obligations for income
    - Long hiring process. You do have to complete several steps before you are hired but much of it is paid. YOU will determine the length of your hiring process - if it takes you two weeks to get a headset and ethernet that will make the process longer. If you act quickly and are prepared their response time is excellent and you can begin faster.
    - Trainings may be scheduled late in the evening (China is currently 13 hours ahead of EST; they are 12 hours ahead during DST).
    - Occasionally, there are "bugs" in the system and patience may be required. However, they normally get them worked out quickly and I have never had one of their technological issues impact my paycheck. They are apologetic and pay you for your class, even if it is interrupted by a system issue that causes you to end class early.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job! Thank you for all that you do.
    I would recommend expanding your team to include non-teaching employees in the US and Canada for proofing material and some of the writing intensive materials. Some of the reference points may be better explained to other teachers by another teacher.

8. "English teacher"

Pros

-great schedule
    -fair pay

Cons

parents have control of your rating, so that can be stressful

Advice to Management

keep up the good job!

9. "I love this company"

Current Employee - Teacher in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Athens, GA

I have been working at QKids part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, online support, make your own schedule, weekly bonus, management is nice and accomnadating, you can communicate technical issues and not be punished for them

Cons

You do not see individual class ratings (just your overall score), no raises in pay, no training after first month

Advice to Management

Rather than just send teacher’s parent feedback, provide teaching lessons to target teacher’s weaknesses. Provide raises to teachers who have been with the company for a year.

"Teacher for 8 months"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Murray, KY
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Murray, KY

I have been working at QKids (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home is great. I have another from home job in my field to build my resume after college, but JiuQu has been my main source of rent income and that sort of thing. The kids are great almost always.

I really do enjoy working here most of the time.

Cons

The parents can be overbearing and a downright distraction in the classroom, and when they rate you they aren't always fair because they don't know what an English coaching session like this should be like. Sometimes, their ratings are worthless and serve as nothing but barriers to you getting a bonus. I have only missed the bonus 3 weeks in 8 months, but it is annoying when you do: it's almost never your fault.

Software can be glitchy, but they will pay you anyway if a class glitches out.

The time difference can be excruciating.

Advice to Management

I would score their english fluency at about 80% in management, and your trainer will be a solid 90%. I think they could study a little extra English themselves. There are sometimes misunderstandings, but they always take responsibility for those. Overall, they are a great management team.