QTS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
QTS Chairman & CEO Chad Williams
Chad Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free coffee is good and the 25 cents candy is cool (in 11 reviews)

• This was a great organization with good people and incredible executive leadership (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious power struggles exist between executives and upper management (in 12 reviews)

• This company is way too top heavy with high executive salaries (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company that has guts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working for QTS. I have had the privilege of working in 5 different industries for 6 different companies throughout my career, and I can honestly say that QTS is unique. In a good way. The leadership cares. They are present and supportive and empowering and they hold true to their core values of Integrity and Character and Trust. QTS understands that you have a personal life and that family is important. You are expected to work hard and get results, but I have never worked for a company that is so supportive and team oriented. And this is unusual to say, but I LOVE working for my boss. He provides support when I need it, and lets me run when I don't.

I plan to retire from this company.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, so be prepared to wear a few hats. If you are the type of person who likes to be in a silo with one area of focus, you will have a tough time growing with QTS.

Advice to Management

Decentralize control. Offer opportunities in HR, Finance, Networking, Training, Development, etc. in locations outside of HQ. You have amazing employees who want to help make QTS great, but they are held back because they live outside of Overland Park and Atlanta.

Dec 5, 2017

Wow! Thank you for being part of our strong Texas team! We truly are powered by our people and you are a perfect example of that. I appreciate the advice, and although decentralizing functions is not... More

"Decent Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Security Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Security Analyst

I have been working at QTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary only compensation is fine. Definitely inline with what you would expect. Overall everyone is nice at the company and in general very respectful. The environment is fairly relaxed and that keeps the stress down to an extent.

Cons

The medical, 401k, and stock options are all pretty bad in comparison to other companies. I would suggest if you are considering employment ask for more monetary compensation to accommodate for the poor benefits. Internally there are major issues with departments not working together well and working too independently.

Advice to Management

Back the creation of good working practices between organizations. Increase the benefits that are offered to employees.

3. "Solid Company on the Up and Up"

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun team environment, friendly atmosphere, free coffee/tea, employee-organized events, travel opportunities, volunteer events, generous PTO policy, decent benefits package, growing company that acknowledges that it is not perfect but is working toward betterment, core values are important

Cons

Organizational structure still needs some ironing out, team and departmental silos continue to exist, inter-departmental communication needs help, core values are important but not everyone follows them - one thing comes to mind - accountability!

Advice to Management

Be accountable and reliable. Stick up for and support your organization, your department, your team. Push through to finish projects and find yourself and your purpose in projects. Make QTS a great place to work.

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for taking time to tell your QTS story. As a leader in operations, I can attest to many of your concerns. I want to assure you we are working on these through our Employee Value Proposition... More

"Sinking Ship (or Nuclear Submarine) with good people and terrible leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA

I worked at QTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

QTS is in a good industry which has strong growth. By default this company should be growing 20% annually without doing much. They did at one point due to the efforts of some creative, dedicated and long-standing employees. Competition has since caught up and surpassed.
    Good Sales Leadership

Cons

Excessive Hypocrisy! What they say and what they do are two completely different things. Concentrated effort to portray themselves and their cult like gatherings and operation in a positive light to internal personnel and outside agencies. Most fall for this propaganda until they put in some time and then quickly realize what is really going on. Despite continuous efforts to create an illusion of unity, camaraderie and overall care for employees and clients, that is the farthest thing from what is truly happening in the background. Some clients are being ripped off with creative billing practices, and employees are constantly being scrutinized for real-time value creation. I was a part of this organization for roughly three years, and the environment and culture that I entered into initially, has been replaced by one of deceit, continuous infighting, leadership turmoil and overall chaos. The two individuals I worked for were good managers and leaders with long standing history and accomplishments with this firm. Under the new operational leadership and philosophy, despite their efforts and success they were not equipped to run this nuclear submarine and as such were dismissed. This is a trend that started a couple of years ago, and continuous through today. The many dedicated, long-standing individuals that have helped get this company to where it is today, are being purged out in favor of someone's ill-fated idea of ideal personnel. Yet the results (horrible morale and significant stock under-performance compared to peers or the S&P for the last year) shows that this methodology is obviously not working. Eventually the people making these decisions will run out of excuses or people to blame and fire. Hopefully the owner and board realize what the root cause of the problem is sooner than later.
    The new HR leadership, direction and to-date results are atrocious as well. The week I resigned, 11 other individuals submitted their resignation as well. The company is bleeding talent and the new HR leadership is a clown living in his brothers shadow, with his head constantly situated in the owners anal cavity. Turn-over rate is the highest we've ever seen, and even HR's own hired HR specialists have come in, looked around, quickly ascertained the toxic environment that is being created at the top, and have immediately left. The company no longer sends out notification correspondence about departing employees because the numbers associated with the mass-exitus are alarming. Both the operational leader and people leader lack anything close to resembling courage, dignity or an ability to unite and lead. One can not communicate at all and refrains from basic correspondence required by his position, and the other is a coward who uses his immediate reports to do the dirty work for him. Although there is a large element of greed that can be identified with the top leadership, I believe for the most part the original founder is (or tries to be) a good individual with good intentions. Unfortunately the executive leadership he has surrounded himself with have created a toxic, combatant like environment that is detrimental to operations and the overall well-being of this once team-oriented company. The once "drop everything" and help your fellow co-worker atmosphere has been replaced by a culture of in-fighting, passing the buck, and blaming others. This is the culture and direction that is the legacy of the current leadership and I believe it is by design. Hopefully at some point the board will realize that there are only so many excuses and lost employees that can be used before the spotlight shines on the true reason for this firms drastic turn south and overall drastic underperformance.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the clown you have in place leading human resources. Nothing but ill-will, maliciousness and toxicity there. It will take you years to fix the atmosphere and toxic environment that is being created by that leader and team.
    Look at your performance, horrible morale, revolving-door turn-over rate, lost clients and inability to sign new ones and realize that your current leadership is not getting it done. Why would any investor (including employees) want to sink money into this place when your return drastically lags behind your peers or the general market? This was not always the case. Figure out when it started, who it's associated with and correct it before its too late.

Instead of focusing on self-generated Glass door posts, paying glass door to help showcase favorable reviews, or asking your employee base to post positive things about you on this site, go out and earn it.
    Focus on being true to what you preach or simply don't preach it.

Include opportunities for minorities and women. And not in your call center where they all end up in, but rather on your executive and leadership teams. You talk a good game but you don't execute on any of it.

"the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain"

Jan 16, 2018

Based on the conversations you and I had before you left, I know you had some great years at QTS but the end was marred by performance and leadership challenges that we were not able to overcome. I... More

"Not as good as they make it out to be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A pay check. Your colleagues are good people. When upper management listens they get things done. Quick growing company that will hopefully get it together.

Cons

Nepotism! They want to say they are powered by people but they don’t invest or push for internal growth. A revolving door of people makes it hard to keep every one on the same track. Pay and benefits could be brought up closer to industry standards. Some areas of the country cost more to live in. You can’t base every thing on one areas pay scale. Need a clear concise way to escalate yourself through the company.

Advice to Management

Push to grow your employees. Try to promote from within and look at people based on merit and certifications not on who try’s to be friendliest to you or is related. Stop pushing the coo-aid

Dec 20, 2017

As a current QTSer, you should be aware of the job-leveling and compensation project currently underway. We will be rolling out the new structure based on industry standards, market data and... More

"Shady at best."

I worked at QTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time off for colunteering is a pro. They would do a good job of letting employees recognize fellow employees for a job well done.

Cons

Expensive benefits package with poor coverage. They overlook lower level employees value. Company is growing at a fast pace that leaves several programs stretched beyond their means. Pay and rewards are some of the lowest in the industry.

Advice to Management

Slow down and catch your breath, what good is building so fast when cracks develop in the foundation while you buil more on top.

Dec 20, 2017

While this is not the kind of review we like to see, I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. With our rapid growth, there have definitely been a few growing pains, but we're... More

"I am not sure what they are doing"

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant work, can be a great place just listen more to your employees.

Cons

The attitude of the Management is we do not care what the lower level employees have to say, and the ones who do care tend to leave the company or are forced to leave just so they can have the people they want in the positions.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your workers they are smart individuals and have great input that could help the company out.

Dec 5, 2017

As a leader in this organization, I can tell you we absolutely value the feedback of our employees and strive to offer opportunities for growth wherever possible and whenever there is the drive to... More

"The good and the bad"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at QTS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Incredible family and employee oriented environments, this company really focus on their core values, a great place to work if you want a stable place and a place that embrace change and always try to make you part of that change.
    - There's always a hand available to help: everybody try to help everybody when it comes to fulfill and achieve goals.
    - Training programs are great, specially for those with lower positions.
    - Flexibility - Work schedules are mostly accommodated to your needs, specially if you have family. Local management really focus on helping and meeting the staff needs.

Cons

- Wearing different hats in this company means they really take it personal - this is great place to work but if you don't pay attention they will work you to death, life balance and work is a huge challenge, specially for those in upper management positions. I've heard of managers working 3 and 4 different positions for the SAME pay rate and people still thinks this is ok.
    - Salary is not that great, but is not the lowest in the market though. I think one of their mistakes is treating every location based on size or having an average salary rate for the entire portfolio, every market/state is different.
    - Medical Benefits are not the best, again, not the worse in the market. They really need to improve in this area. Every year medical benefits increase and this increase is higher than performance pay rate increase if you get one.

Advice to Management

Try to retain the right people in the company - don't let people go for salary increases or anything related to pay rates, that is the biggest mistake small/medium companies do. I've seen very good and talented people who love this company leaving because they have been working different positions, managing a great range of national projects, etc. and this has not been recognized in their pay rate - lunches and t-shirts won't cut it.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture where employees are encouraged to take PTO for community involvement.
    Constantly evolving with technology to offer best in class services.
    Always puts the customer experience ahead of everything else.

Cons

As with any company that is experiencing rapid growth, we could do a better job documenting processes and communicating across different teams.

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you for the positive review and I'm glad to read you take advantage of our volunteer days to spend time giving back to the community. I also really appreciate the fact you value the importance... More

10. "Passionate about Technology"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at QTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My family (QTS) is an organization that recognizes and encourages everyone to live up to their fullest potential. Everyone who possesses the passion to take care of the internal and external customer is empowered to do the right thing for everyone, no exceptions. Started with this company as a customer service representative, and within a few years elevated to a Network Engineer with a very bright future. Our roof houses some of the brightest in the business; therefore, the only limitation anyone who joins our family has is there own desires. Once you walk through our doors you immediately feel the care and attention to detail that is the QTS signature. So do me a favor get to know us first, and not judge us by a few, you won't regret it.

Cons

If a person has LOW standards regarding customers, professionalism, and communications, they will not be happy with us. Our standards are extremly high, and it shows in everything we do!

Advice to Management

Continue to put people before the bottomline, you do it so well! Working for decades has taught me the difference between, an organization that pretends to care, and one that really does!