QVC UK Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dermot Boyd

1. "If you stay too long and get moulded / outdated and be stuck here forever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chiswick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chiswick, England (UK)

I worked at QVC UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Experience working for a global company
    -Chiswick is a nice area to work in
    -Hunky dory atmosphere, everyone is always happy

Cons

No carpark space
    No clear direction from senior management
    No framework of how projects should be managed
    No such thing as work life balance
    Stay for too long at QVC and you will end up outdated and unemployable elsewhere
    Managers don't seem to escalate issues higher
    QVC dont have a service desk - expect your issues to be resolved after 1 week only if you chase it up otherwise 1 year.
    All open plan office - no privacy
    The massages advertised by HR are rubbish - they massage you with your shirt on? how odd

Advice to Management

Invest in SERVICENOW
    Invest in Gartner for researching technology tools - don't just listen to people in the office who have used something that is good.
    Provide training
    Fix the layout of the office, not setup to allow collaboration and banter
    Get a microwave into the office kitchens
    Free fresh coffee machine is essential especially from a US global billion dollar company

2. "Escorted off knowsley site?"

Former Employee - Orderline Representative in Knowsley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Orderline Representative in Knowsley, England (UK)

I worked at QVC UK part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff shop sales
    20% Discount
    Most customers are lovely.

Cons

I worked for QVC for around three months before being completely shut off from the company and 'escorted off site'. At my time there I loved it despit the strict 'average call handling time' and constant call reviews. I managed to adhere to both of these and really excelled and managed to sell most upsells that you are required to offer. However at the end of my probationary period I had two days off within three months so I was fired. Despite those who had worse rated calls and failed to adhere to AHT and PETO (allocated toilet time- which only equates to about a minute an hour), I was completely shunned from the business and was told I needed me be escorted off sit immediately as if I was some kind of criminal. Despite this, I entered the staff shop on the way out as I had only been fired two minutes before. I was obviously upset and had already seen a couple of team leader who had acknowledged me and apologised for the way I was treated. However, whilst purchasing the items my personal team leader came into my face and shouted in front of everyone in shop that I shouldn't be in there whilst spraying spit in my face. She took me by the arm and escorted me out the shop. I was disgusted. I then called up a few days later to ask when I would be receiving vouchers that I had won for selling the most upsells and coming third in my team. I was told that I was not entitled to them (despite me earning them a month earlier) and that I should no longer call. I am disgusted with the treatment of staff and the insensitivity of management. I would honestly NOT recommend to anyone.

Advice to Management

Respect and recognises peoples effect, and follow through with promises.

"Great opportunity to expand your knowledge!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at QVC UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-There is lots of opportunity to progress, that doesn't always need upwards that means sideways to build on your experience
    -Exposure to large scale projects with support and guidance
    -Ability to work cross market and cross function
    -Good benefits package
    -Great culture
    -Care deeply about the customer and the customer journey
    -Very people orientated
    -A group of [passionate like minded people

Cons

-Global working can come with it challenges from a time perspective, it takes longer to implement change
    -A lot of short term action rather than long term solutions but this is changing
    -Very lean, have to be a multi tasker

Advice to Management

-Increase headcount in areas where the impact of not building a relationship can be damaging to your success
    -Understand other markets and make decisions to make change happen quicker where appropriate
    -As we move towards global working make sure the sense of family and team isn't lost

5. "Like a chocolate fondant with liquid faeces inside"

Current Employee - Orderline Representative in Knowsley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Orderline Representative in Knowsley, England (UK)

I have been working at QVC UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Customers can be genuinely nice to talk to.
    - You can bring something to do during downtime e.g. a book, a magazine.
    - Colleagues are generally personable, especially evening staff.
    - Very easy job with a low skill floor and a high skill ceiling.
    - There's a tea trolley.
    - The company is as rich as all hell so there is decent job security.
    - There are monthly "recognition" activities to keep your mind off the monotony of everyday life, which you don't have to take part in.

- Shifts are flexible. I wouldn't say this is a pro or a con per se because there are lulls in staffing at times where you'll find your wages dropping by a few hundred, you can't make plans further than two weeks in hand unless you book a holiday, and you can find yourself going to work from 11pm to 2am. It's sometimes somewhat easy to tailor your hours, though, if you ask nicely.
    - Again neither a pro nor con, but benefits include pension (advertised as a benefit but legally required), a cycle-to-work scheme (a government initiative), discounted private medical insurance, discounted eye tests, and vouchers given to those with the most upsells (which is entirely a numbers game to incentivise upsells).

Cons

- Customers can be wrathful, duplicitous, and generally rude.
    - Upper management are woefully lacking in people skills, sometimes management skills.
    - Managers often go against their own advice and will dodge any question regarding it.
    - Lots of weird Americanisms in training that cause a language barrier.
    - A hypercapitalist atmosphere is promoted by people you never see. Upselling is mandatory. Not offering to place an order for something a customers asks about carries a graver reprimand than entering their address incorrectly. The company pinches pennies wherever it can within legal boundaries.
    - The company blows its own horn all too much for one with such ethically questionable practices.
    - Your future in the company is determined by how readily you fall into line. There is one team leader who bucks this trend, but he is extremely savvy.
    - If you have a disability that isn't a missing limb or impaired vision, you will not be treated respectfully by HR/managers.
    - Very repetetive job (people have been known to answer their own phones with "hello, QVC" or end conversations with "thanks for calling QVC").
    - You can only spend 1.9% of your non-break time using the toilet (7min58.8sec of an 8-hour shift), however time spent not taking calls due to computer failure is also monitored as though you are accountable for it. In fact, you are generally monitored on things that you have little control over (see vouchers for upsells).
    - The company is currently pushing for a changeover to new software which crashes more, has fewer features, and is slower than the software that came before it. You will be expected to bear the consequences.
    - The call centre is hard to reach for some; many spend a good portion of their wages on taxis there and back.
    - You can kiss your social life goodbye, especially if you work evenings.

Advice to Management

- Focus less on micromanagement and more on making QVC a pleasant place to work.
    - Treat the people working under you with the respect you might hope to be treated with.
    - Apply more common sense when solving problems with representatives.
    - Allow people more time to use the toilet (especially people who cycle to work (which is encouraged by the company) and thus need to drink a lot of water).
    - Train managers in disability awareness.
    - Make fixed shifts available again.
    - Put into action the ideas put forward by colleagues that you have requested.
    - Hold yourself accountable for your own bad decisions.

"Head of Facilities"

Former Employee - Head of Facilities in Chiswick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Facilities in Chiswick, England (UK)

I worked at QVC UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative, great place to work, creative and fun

Cons

Moving to US driven policies rather than European based policies.

"Great"

Pros

Friendly work environment. Good salary. Helpful Staff.

Cons

Sometimes requires a lot more overtime than you expect.

8. "Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at QVC UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Aspire to work to a set of values and become a company of choice
    Some amazing people work there

Cons

Don't address senior team behaviours that are at odds with values

Advice to Management

Walk the walk, and address the underlying issues with senior team who don't work within the values

9. "Great culture"

Pros

Great work life balance with a very flexible easy going culture. They are a fun company to work for with many events etc held in the office.

Cons

Progression increases are not fairly given and across the board a good standard is usually given even if your direct manager has given you a higher reating.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at QVC UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The whole qvc team are friendly and welcoming, no 2 days are the same which makes it exciting. The company truly looks after you with all the extra perks

Cons

Pressure to constantly save money sometimes means the people are forgotten about

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great job that you do, know it's hard at times though

11. "review"

Pros

flexible working, good people to work with

Cons

managment not engaging with staff

Advice to Management

engage and listen to staff