Qoo10 Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Qoo10 CEO Ku Youngbae
Ku Youngbae

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"From Designer to Marketer to being both roles!"

Former Employee - Design Lead & Promotion Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Design Lead & Promotion Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Qoo10 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am extremely grateful to those that gave me the opportunities and groom me. Here's my honest review:

1. With Great opportunities comes Greater responsibilities comes Greater power.

If you work really hard and be patient, management does look at your performance. For those Designers that left negative reviews, please think again. One have to understand Qoo10 isn't a design agency. Being a designer is obviously a minor role but definitely can never be underestimated. As a designer, most of your work is "seen". If you want to be appreciated and rewarded, you need to shine first. If you intend to shine by doing daily routines, I think you are stupid. You have to work hard, work smart and work your way to grab the opportunity to design big campaigns and events. When sales is good, it just shows 2 points, good marketing and obviously, a good design.

2. With the Right leaders, Right planning and Right mindset

What is better in working the daily routine is the chance to be learning something new. Design in Qoo10 is by far very routine and most of the task are basics. Very often, you get bored by doing the same thing over and over again. However, pushing myself to being a marketer allows me to take part in decision making and execute the design work with the understanding of the strategy behind every banner. This is my source of fuel that pushes me further. With that in mind, when things happen the way you expected, sales go up, that sense of achievement is so fulfilling. Not just the satisfaction from finishing an artwork but also knowing your design is working.

3. The Ultimate Freedom when you are in control

In my full 1.7 months of working in Qoo10, 65% of the time is spent listening to instructions on what to do and what needs to be done. However, the remaining 35% turns out to be my best enjoyable moments of working in Qoo10. At the beginning, I started off with just Graphic design knowledge. But my thirst for web design pushed me to read up on HTML coding and I learnt the hard way, stress and googled for answers on how to code. With the knowledge, I start to play around with what can be done and this simple joy kept me going.

However, listening to instructions and doing repetitive things overtime made me feel everyday to be a chore, especially if things are not working out and every (marketing) idea is failing. I started to come work late and to be honest, I was late 80% of the time. I know I am wrong and I am bad employee. I voiced out that I wish I can make decision and plan what to do. At this point I was on the verge of resigning so I didn't hold back my words.

After being promoted to a mixed role of Designer/Marketer, I see myself growing interest for sales and I enjoyed working with account managers to discuss what else we can do to bring up the sales. From the most basic stuff like TimeSale/DailyDeal/Groupbuy and setting discounts to understanding the power of every advertisement slots in Qoo10, I gambled my way. I am extremely scared of making mistakes and most importantly, making losses $$. The trick is to start off doing small, test it out a few times and slowly build your confidence. Do not be afraid or at least try not to. Once you understood every single cards on your deck, you will figure out a logical systematic way to determine if a deal will sell or not. With my strong knowledge in design, I spent my time coming up with ideas on how the banner will be design, what elements should we be using for this campaign and how this banner will shine out of the any other banners on Qoo10. At the end of the day, when you see your items on the best selling page, this is when you know the effort paid off.

And here's the thing, there is no end to it. After knowing your effort paid off, the following week you will be facing new challenges, how can you replicate this results? What work and what didn't work? What can be change for improvement? When new idea hits, you just won't stop trying new "weird" and "outofthebox" ways.

Cons

1. "Struggle to work with other department of various goals"

I wish the goals of every department can blend well with one another. In my opinion, I understood everyone have to work towards their target. But sometimes, this action results in a very negative side effect.

A car with petrol cant move without a driver.
    A car without petrol cant move with a driver.

In some cases, one individual's goals will discourage other party from doing something. The party will have to follow to fit that individual goal. However, if the party follow the individual goal, this party will lose something that another party goal is.

After all, we are working in the same company hoping to achieve a common goal. If all goals can be align, it will benefit the entire company.

2. "I dislike having to depend on others when I can do it better myself, less hassle."

I see this as a con because I find it extremely difficult to work with "some" people who doesn't understand the bigger picture. If you have bigger power, people will give face to you. I dislike this mentality. Maybe it's just me. You can disregard this point if it is invalid.

Advice to Management

"Just 5 cents"

1. Reward those who put in hard work regularly not because of how long they work (OT), but the challenges involve to create something out of nothing. That's the real magic trick.

2. Come out with proper education system set aside to guide the new comers. A lot things has been done before but forgotten. If only I have a mentor, my life will be easier hahahahah.

3. Simplify the QSM and the entire Qoo10 system. This increases the productivity and capabilities of what can be done.

4. Invest in better computers for designers. Looking at my pinkish faulty monitor burns my eye and I have to check the design using my phone or colleagues monitor for the colours. I also spend 1/3 of my time working waiting for files to be saved. The thinking is, if a human brain can work faster than a machine, then something must be very wrong. Or maybe I'm just too fast.

5. Allow people to swap roles if they want. I understand this is extremely troublesome but hear me out. To accomplish something requires a lot of teamwork. A lot times we do not understand the difficulty faced by others and so we become "selfish", to think what is easier for yourself and totally neglect the potential success or the greater good if both parties were to work together. If management can swap roles, one will understand the challenges face by others.

6. Take 16Personalities into account. Remind everyone to learn more about themselves in terms of their strengths and weaknesses.

For those that wish to join Qoo10 or still in Qoo10, whatever position :

Never look down on Designers. Never ever think that you are good. Be humble, be nice, be understanding and most importantly work smart. Always lookout for ways to do things better because there is always room for improvement. Respect is earn and not given. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Chances, Choices and a little bit of luck. And believe in magic.

"Trash"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Qoo10 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no.1 online market in singapore yet

Cons

Trash. Waste of time. Mindset of the CEO is just a trash. No system, No manual, No pay for working more. Worst ever.
    CEO thinks that employees have no value. Just Do Do Do Do Do before Thinking!!! Dont think!!! Just Do!!!!!! And if you quit others will come!!! So never mind!!!

Advice to Management

CEO, you must listen to your employees. This is not your own company.

3. "Part time designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Qoo10 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Department was fun and i enjoyed what i was doing at Qoo10

Cons

The part time pay for designer is so little. There is little to none job progress for designers. You won't be able to learn much and progress in this company as a designer. As a designer, departments don't involve you in any meetings as well.

"Underappreciated Designers"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Qoo10 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Occasional buffets on Public Holiday days ie; Chinese New Year, Christmas

Cons

Really low pay for a part time designer (rate is $7/hr). As far as I know, there's only 2 designers per department. Thus, workload can be crazy at times (especially during events) as there's around 5 - 8 Account Managers and around the same for the Marketing Team per department. How can only 2 designers handle all of the work? We work pretty much non stop, whereas majority of the Account Managers & Marketing Team side simply needs to just make a few calls and have occasional meetings with their clients. Aside from that, they just chat among one another (most of the time with a high volume) and often times, gossip about clients or other colleagues. It is safe to say they don't really care about the Designers workload and how busy they are already. The Designers are way under appreciated for the amount of work that we are doing.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay of the Designers. Hire more designers.

"Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Qoo10 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- young age group co-workers 20-30s
    - leading ecommerce in singapore
    - location near to Bugis MRT
    - nice office reception

Cons

- Management does not appreciate employees efforts, except managerial roles whom are 80% not in the office most of the time.
    - Koreans management does not understand Singapore's trends/market, thus always comparing with Japan/Korea
    - AWS does not exists
    - Credit point system is not transparent, bosses couldn't answer how they'd grade you.
    - Not a professional working environment, some employees dresses like harajuku style. High knee socks, checkered mini skirts.
    - Theres no company bonding session, especially when teams are expected to work cross functionally between different teams. Conflicts between designers, marketers and sales team.
    - No skills advancement courses for staffs.
    - CEO never made appearance to engage conversation with staffs. Some employees don't know who the CEO is.
    - Expect roles/team changing every few months. With no clear directions or goals.

Advice to Management

Learn from Jack Ma, how to run a business. Start reading.

"A company with no clear goals, no direction and a toxic environment to be in"

Former Employee - Marketing in Bugis (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Bugis (Singapore)

I worked at Qoo10 (More than a year)

Pros

can't think of any pros

Cons

- management expects you to know everything and execute your work and ensuring targets are met
    - tasks/projects keep changing, hence we are unable to measure the performance of our work as they will be passed on to other teams in 1/2 months
    - no consistency in the company since projects/tasks are being thrown around to different teams
    - senior management are Koreans. They don't even take the effort to study or know more about the local market, their shopping habits, taste and preferences.
    - performance is based on a credit points system but there's no criteria or performance rubrics on how they assign points to employees, basically is all based on the manager's gut feeling and if they like you or not, which is total BS
    - one word to describe the working environment - MESSY

Advice to Management

- pls treat your employees fairly
    - pls train your senior managers professionally
    - don't expect your employees to do a good job when your senior managers don't even know what they are doing

"Not Ideal Company"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Qoo10 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for fresh graduate or who want to learn about e-commerce.

Cons

Employee must handle many tasks, achieves many target, no support from company to achive the target, no training.

Advice to Management

Fix your strategics.

"My honest review"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Qoo10 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good place to learn how the e-commerce industry works. Depending on the team you are assigned to, you will be exposed to many different kinds of works, ranging from no-brainer web banners to challenging and complex web creative development.

Cons

1. Designers are being treated as second-class citizens

For an online business who relies heavily on Designers for creative visuals and to a certain extent web programming, there exist a complete lack of respect and understanding for the Designer role. Designers are often deemed not smart enough to attend relevant project meetings. Instead, this is entirely up to the Managers and Marketers to discuss and decide on the creative direction. They would then in turn advise the Designer on how a banner or page should look like. Also, very often you will find that the Company chooses to hire Designers as part-timers for a flat rate of $7 per hour. Bottom line: Are Designers that cheap and expendable?

Advice to the Management: Be open and listen to the opinions of your employees. Everybody has different skills and talents to offer. Understand the importance of Designers and their contributions to the Company. Also, hire the right people for the job! Are you looking to hire a Web Designer, Illustrator or just someone whose all intents and purposes are simply to make something look pretty?

2. Your hard work and contributions do not count for anything

Imagine working non-stop for over 10 hours a day, creating web banners, designing a newspaper advertisement, writing HTML and preparing eDMs for a very important campaign. On top of all that, going through all your work to make sure that everything is in order. Once, I worked tirelessly on a Friday and Saturday for a total of 24 hours. I was very thankful for a part-timer who worked alongside me during that fateful period. Nonetheless, when an event is successful, Designers are sidelined and the real credit goes to the Marketers and Sales Managers.

Advice to the Management: Be more appreciative towards Designers. Award promotions fairly across the Company. Designers are as equally important as Marketers and Sales Managers. Assess and promote a Designer accordingly based on his or her age, level of experience and overall contributions. After all, a promotion only encourages your staff to do even better, right?

3. Lack of manpower to fulfill those last-minute requests

Work distribution is uneven throughout the Company. Your knock-off time is heavily dependent on the team you are assigned to. Work requests for Designers may come in as late as 6pm or later.

Advice to the Management: Plan for important events weeks ahead. Share the marketing plan with Designers in advance. Allow ample time for the Designers to work their magic during normal working hours.

Advice to Management

"Research indicates that workers have three prime needs: Interesting work, recognition for doing a good job, and being let in on things that are going on in the company." – Zig Ziglar

"The Unspoken Truths of In-house Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Designer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Qoo10 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Enter/exit any of the 3 exits at own ease
    - Vending machine subsidised by half
    - Access to Office building 24/7
    - Fantastic air-conditioning system
    - Unlimited smoking break

Cons

In general:
    - Fine system not implemented on late submission for design request from Sales
    - Marketers condoning Sales’ late submission as some of them don’t see it troubling/apologetic in delaying designer’s operation
    - Bringing me to next point, last minute request will contain ridiculous requirements; as Sales/Marketer’s sense of entitlement strives on
    - Be expected to deliver awesome visuals on short notice as negotiating won’t matter
    - If the Sales doesn’t pick up, it’s still designer’s fault because short notice is never a valid excuse
    - Be prepared to be blame shifter’s target. Be it good/bad design, if Sales is not up to expectation, be ready to get blame; whereas vice versa is not applicable
    - Overpromises to client at the expenses of in-house designer’s support will happen
    - Teammates discreetly marking up design content on spreadsheet will happen
    - Be prepared to be treated as subordinate over co-worker, as rejecting workload is as good as aiding requester with boss’ siding
    - Designer’s contribution to offline event will be disregarded; as visitation to ongoing event during working hours/lunch break, will never be initiated; unless requested
    - Perfunctory / no update will be given to Part-time designer voicing out for Full-time conversion; despite serving for some time
    - Presence of non-creative background Marketing Head recognising themselves having same quality as Creative/Art Director
    - And because design is subjective; if the Head picks on you, it means your work will be forever subjected to his/her preference.
    - And because of that, designers tend to stay within safe zone; ceasing innovation
    - If you give feedback/bargain, Marketers might perceived your unwillingness as disruptive because they don’t expect much of you, thinking it’s simpler done than talking
    - Marketers won’t prepare deliverable’s needs prior to two working days on normal days; such miracles only happen when it’s approaching their block leave
    - Creative juices flowing is expected to run full day, if not, reciprocated with doubtful eyes
    - Inter-regional sites misusing local site’s event/campaign banners without permission
    - Expecting an ordinary office CPU to function its processor like prints ad agency’s for newspaper editorial.
    - Solid State Drive are issued upon request but capacity restricted no larger than 250GB despite some working files are huge causing often migrating/upgrading of hard disk
    - Rushing work and leaving workplace at knock-off timing will leave a bad impression
    - As designers are “encouraged” to stay behind since changes are bound to happen
    - No enforcement of work transparency, some preferred to e-mail individuals for help without notifying the entire group/division/leader, or using of the SharePoint network
    - Basic etiquette of not sharing master copy of working files, is frowned upon
    - Slot allocation may not tally; resource allocation might indicate as 1 slot but chances are crafting up to 3 priority-worth of slots
    - Ratio of designing resources to marketing resources is unbalanced
    - Annual Wage Supplement is an non-existing entitlement. Let alone D&D, and/or retreats.
    - Credit Points system revamped; resulting rewards of incentives/increment hold up to every end of [3(n)+1]th month
    - Few cases of probation lasting more than 6 months, despite having good conduct

Advice to Management

Good, Fast, and Cheap design don’t exist.

10. "Average"

I worked at Qoo10 part-time

Pros

Team is generally nice to new staff but it really depends on the team that you get assigned to
    Hours are till 6pm for part timers but can get really long for full timers

Cons

Work is very repetitive...
    No real credit given when securing a deal