Quad/Graphics Reviews | Glassdoor

Quad/Graphics President and CEO J. Joel Quadracci
J. Joel Quadracci

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • 12 hour shifts along with rotating shifts (in 31 reviews)

• long hours on feet, can get boring, health care coverage is significantly more expensive for part timers (in 27 reviews)

1. "A company at a crossroads"

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

The talent is the smartest and best in the industry.
    Quad has market leadership in select verticals.
    A handful of executives are trying to do the right thing (but their is a culture of fear within the management team to not make waves).

Cons

Executive team is "old-boys club" who doesn't groom young talent and are divesting / liquidating the company in the form of dividends and write-offs.
    Each sales division competes with one another.
    Production goals compete with sales goals.
    Executive management is out of touch with their employees and their clients (and worse, they think that they are connected with their clients and employees).
    Corporate culture (which used to be very strong many years ago) is at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Look inside of your own walls for talent. Focus upon your culture. Nurture youth, and value the experience of senior employees. Break down walls created from sales compensation "plans". Executive management needs to take a hard look at themselves and admit maybe some of the challenges we're facing as a declining company might be their fault.

2. "What you say and what you do are different..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI

Pros

Big company with a lot of different things going on and growth opportunities for employees. Can move up in the company if there were opportunities...

Cons

Don’t treat employees like a top priority. We talk about how ideas are valued and we want to progress, but when employees give ideas managers get scared...

Advice to Management

Live your values. Stop trying to micromanage things and say you are making great changes, but not value your employees ideas or help to get you to a new level....

3. "not a good company"

Former Employee - Rolltender in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Rolltender in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

worked at lot of overtime

Cons

don't want to give you raises more than 10 cents a year

4. "It was alright"

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, the actual job duties were relatively simple

Cons

Ridiculous 80 hour work weeks without a day off.

Advice to Management

Give your workers a day off

5. "Pay & benefits ok but other than that it's left to individuals."

Current Employee - Press Operator
    Current Employee - Press Operator

I have been working at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay & benefits are ok
    Job security in most conditions
    Big company environment
    Vacation time helps
    It is all over the country

Cons

Leads supervisor can do whatever they want to you. Only one person can become punching bag if he doesn't keep supervisors happy even if he is a good worker. HR doesn't get involved and leave you and lower management in the pool, because upper management deals it like a production line, they are happy until they are getting results.

Advice to Management

Don't let lower managers and supervisors make the place a mess or you will not get good employees.

6. "Martinsburg, WV Location"

Former Employee - Part-Time Print Department in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Part-Time Print Department in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Quad/Graphics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people are great to work with

Cons

Expensive benefit package, poor management, long work hours, swing shifts, scheduled and expected to work full-time but not offered benefit package for full-time employment, high personnel turn-over rate

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to employees, learn to take decisive action as needed and neccessary

"Corporate customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work life balance

Cons

Top heavy company in terms of management. Did not feel valued while there but when I told them I was leaving, in wasn't offered wage increase and recognized for my contribution to the department

Advice to Management

Management not in tune with managing people only concerned with company's bottom line

"2013 is the earliest employment date selectable. It was really back in the 1990's"

Former Employee - Corporate Architect in Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Architect in Sussex, WI

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quad was an exciting and large player to work for in the local area. It was like working for the 400lb gorilla in the room, - as they also saw themselves.

Cons

Quad engaged in construction and growth activities that were unsafe and illegal when I worked there, largely because local enforcement officials permitted them to. I let the company know about these practices and told the legal department that I was required by law to report them, and would have to do so if they did nothing to address them. I was let go shortly afterward. I had a professional license to protect and was in a position that would definitely have made me aware of these activities, so my concerns were also self-serving.
    Quad had a practice of promoting unqualified people to high positions so that they would be loyal (they had nowhere else to go). It was run very much like the mafia: loyalty to the Owner was valued over qualifications, professionalism, or even competence, and some people were promoted like "made men". Having a professional license created dual masters that the company would not tolerate, and they let professionals go whenever there was a conflict between law and business practices. They were then part of a juggernaut in the local area that could do as it pleased.

As it turned out, my concerns over illegal and unsafe practices were on target: They had a large fire in a building that cost a life a couple of years after I was fired, which the founder became very despondent about, and there was speculation that it may have cost the company the life of it's founder, Harry Quadracci. I was bitter for awhile, but have seen that many American companies operate this way, to some degree or another. There is no escaping it. It's the NASCAR mentality: If you ain't cheatin', you aint tryin hard enough.

But I think a better adage would be: For want of a nail the shoe was lost. For want of a shoe the horse was lost. For want of a horse the rider was lost. ... For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

Advice to Management

My views and experiences at Quad are now very out of date. I hope the company's corporate culture has changed under Joel. Tom didn't seem to care about much except having a fun life. I only bothered to write this review for continued access to glassdoor.

9. "Account manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours in office daily

Cons

Poor leadership, no morale in plant, understaffed and over worked. They let people go and pile work on those left

10. "Challenging"

Former Employee - Second Pressman in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Second Pressman in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Quad/Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to do on the job training and they streamlined career advancement in most of the various departments.

Cons

Don't always feel like you're part of a team or have consistent leadership, sense of direction, or support on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

Better accountability