QualCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Annette Catino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is no pros that I can think of (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • QualCare maybe acquired by Cigna, but they remained as QualCare and i am not sure if Cigna is even aware how this department really function (in 2 reviews)

• does not exist unless you consider 110% work and no life a good work/life balance (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great employer, nice benefits, career and growth opportunities"

I have been working at QualCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Job Work/Life Balance, Compensation, Health Benefits, great projects, great place to build a career and grow. Smart coworkers, technology, forward thinking company with cutting edge technology/.

Cons

Cons :- changing priorities and sometimes long hours.

"Think long and hard..."

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at QualCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

none, that's why I quit

Cons

Management consists of unstable, hormonal females who have no control over their emotions. They bring their problems to work and they take out their problems on their staff. Staff is never appreciated. You can bend over backwards here and never be acknowledged. Only the brown-nosing gossip lovers get anywhere in this company. One previous review said this place breaks your spirit. That could not be more accurate. It does break your spirit, management breaks your spirit. You are treated like you do not exist, unless you do something wrong, then you will be called in to be brow beaten. During my last year there, management would not even review me. I had no idea where I stood. I just did the best I could and hoped for the best. Staff members would get cursed at and dealt with at the mercy of the moods of the management.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with dignity and respect. Acknowledge that every member of your staff is an individual. The world does not revolve around you, each staff member has their own worries and personal issues. Treat everyone with consideration. We are not robots that perform a quota no matter what. We have needs. We need to be commended and acknowledged.

"Worst Place to Work Award Recipient, hands down."

I worked at QualCare full-time

Pros

None. Warning: do NOT apply for a job at awful place. You will soon regret it!

Cons

The lack of respect and regard to human decency towards employees from management is shocking and unacceptable. This has been going on for years, with apparently no change in sight.

Advice to Management

Your lack of respect and regard to any form of human decency toward the employees is disgraceful. I have no advice to you other than you need help as human beings, you need some serious counseling on how to be decent human beings.

"Run Far Run Fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

To be honest there are no pros for this place

Cons

Such a large turnover making it impossible to do your work and is always a game of catch up.Upper management doesn't appreciate anything you do and their turn over rate is just as high. You can work 9-10 hour days and never be appreciated for the work you put in. They always expect more from you. When you have any issues or concerns you are redirected or dismissed. Lack of support from manager. Poor training of all staff, no one knows what they are doing because they are never trained properly. The administrative team is just as clueless and there is a huge turn over in the admin office as well. You can put your heart and soul into this company and not even get a thank you. No internal growth and no internal professionalism. They would first hire externally than promote internally to someone who has been doing the job for years. Ungrateful and unprofessional. DO NOT APPLY HERE! You will be worked to the bone and taken advantage of . Then when you ask about a raise or bonus you are given a sob story about how there is no money but they neglect to tell you that ALL directors and admin staff received a raise last year! If there is no money how are there more TEMPS (costs more $ than hiring) working for the company. Run far run fast!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and dont tolerate unprofessional behavior and abuse from your managers. Corporate culture needs an overhaul in ethics.

5. "Csr"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

The pay was ok, could have been better

Cons

Management thinks they are in high school and show favoritism

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults not children

6. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at QualCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of projects to keep you challenged and busy.

Cons

Management was not supportive and do not seem to care about the mental health of their employees.

Advice to Management

Please do not drive your staff away with unmanageable expectation of work, inability to develop staff, and micromanagement style.

"Predatory management, favoritism, ineffective business leadership"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at QualCare (More than a year)

Pros

- IT team is decently structured.
    - The culture on the 2nd floor is pleasant, the result of the people rather than management.
    - There are a lot of creative avenues of work, always challenging projects to take on if you are willing to take on the responsibility.
    - Exposure to business-side executives.

Cons

- Notoriously underpays.
    - Bonuses are arbitrary, and always low.
    - Bonuses are based on reviews, which are completely arbitrary.
    - Managers, especially on the IT team, are entrenched in their roles. That means that whether they are ineffective, deceptive, slave-drivers, or plain incompetent, they will most likely suffer no consequences.
    - Escalation of issues with management will often result in the employee being targeted and undermined, with little chance of defense.
    - The IT team's management does not cooperate well with others. This causes delays in projects, unrealistic deadlines, and over-allocation of work to a select few employees.

Advice to Management

QualCare has since been acquired by Cigna, but middle management remains the same. Start over; QualCare managers are out-of-touch with modern business tactics and will do whatever it takes to get the job done, often at their subordinate's expense.

QualCare has suffered loss after loss of talent, which they seek to temporarily fix with contractors, but even contractors have been known to leave prematurely.

You can't scare someone into being loyal or hard-working, so invest in your work-horses and your creative thinkers. Otherwise, as you've already shown, you'll end up creating a company that simply exists to be sold at the profit of your executives, and the misfortune of yourselves.

"Clueless management--no respect"

Former Employee - Claims in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at QualCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You only received a paycheck

Cons

I resigned recently as my job was too depressing. I have not regretted leaving for one moment.
    I always met production and quality targets, frequently volunteered for projects and to assist others in my team, and was repeatedly told I was a valuable employee. Yet I was micro-managed unnecessarily, for trivial things that had no effect on the quality of work.
    There was no chance for advancement, and pay was too low. Last year raises were 2% for everyone, regardless of effort. Bonuses were talked up all year as a reason to motivate us, but only about 45% of employees received one. Mine was barely enough to buy one cup of coffee per week for a year.
    Despite being told every month how valuable I was, after I gave my 2 week notice NOT ONE MEMBER OF MANAGEMENT CALLED OR EVEN SENT ME AN EMAIL TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY LEAVING OR WISH ME WELL!!!
    Be assured the negative comments on this site are not exaggerated.

Advice to Management

Management is too stubborn and petty to heed any advice. Cigna should at look the reviews on this site and make major managerial changes.
    I feel sorry for people insured by Qualcare. The current culture makes it difficult to accurately pay claims and provide quality service.

"Disgraceful company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at QualCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself is typical, benefits not to bad it's at 2000$ Ded the pay is ok! There are some awesome people you will meet at the company

Cons

Management is horrible and only favors whom they like, only allow for advancement of those that are "yes men" Horrible hostile environment. I do not advise anyone work here...They are running a slave ship...Management acts like they are baby sitting grown adults. You can not go to the restroom longer than. 8 mins... ridiculous... Don't even think about calling out I do not care if you cut your arm off.. You'll be fired

Advice to Management

Cigna needs to get an entirely new management team. Period...

"Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at QualCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing i can think of (except for LPNs being paid almost equal to RNs doing the UR/UM)

Cons

underpaid RNs, overworked, Nurses doing jobs outside the job description (a nurse for 10%, and 90% being an intake coordinator- you answer phone calls for intake and benefit queries which you need to do and you have to stop doing your case reviews to answer this kind of phone call, a senior manager (who is an LPN) micromanages and wants to dictate what employees need to do, they will time your breaks, they will question why you talk to your co workers, they will question whom you go with during breaks, you need to be a smoker for you to have frequent breaks because they will question you for that and if you are a smoker, no question why you go for frequent breaks, management is not even aware how organizational chart works- supervisor of intake coordinators mandates nurses on what to do, and worst of all- politics! they will give you hard time when they know you understand how the work process works more than them, and will do everything to stop you on your growth- worst case, they will make sure you resign or make up things for them to fire you. QualCare maybe acquired by Cigna, but they remained as QualCare and i am not sure if Cigna is even aware how this department really function.

and to add up, the worst health insurance coverage ever.

Advice to Management

you are no longer independent and already under Cigna. You should ask some guidance from Cigna and don't ruin the Cigna reputation. Those who is in the position for the upper management ("bosses") needs an extensive management 101 course. they badly need to be trained how to manage and know the principles of management and human relations.