Qualcomm Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance has leaned more toward work in the last few years (in 325 reviews)

• No work-life balance and highly demanding (in 72 reviews)

"Poor Culture"

Current Employee - PMIC VI Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PMIC VI Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job that pays the bills.

Cons

Work ethics are terrible in my department. Backstabbing and favorism are rampant and encouraged. Director/lead brought poor cultural values and has spoiled the work place. This poor culture encourages people to spy on each other and report to the upper management. Director/lead speaks foreign language in the lab and meetings. Managing by yelling and shaming in front of others. No hope for raises, bonuses, or promotions. A lot of good engineers have left already or planning to leave. HR department is useless and helpless, so there is no hope.
    Not a good place for young engineers.

"Qualcomm lost its mojo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology leadership
    Access to technology resources

Cons

Self-interested senior/executive management
    Lack of vision
    Lack of operating discipline

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO, hire a seasoned CEO who is a proven, excellent operator.

"The biggest employer of H1B temps"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get laid off

Cons

Worst corporate citizen, constantly using temporary workers to marginalize employees.

Advice to Management

Keep hitting up Indian job-shops for temporary H1B workers, who got their visa by fraud.

"pathetic management - no advancement if you are engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good location , San Diego
    - Good work and technology
    - Good initial pay
    - onsite activities such as learning, gym etc

Cons

- no work life balance
    -almost governament type hikes in salary
    -too micromanagement and spying by management that trickles into your private life, ruining your private life too.
    - management stalks after you suggesting insecurity in them.

Advice to Management

- Dont bother about what subordinate does, do your part well and do your work well.
    - Dont micromanage

"Worst place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unfortunately, There is nothing good about Qualcomm

Cons

Everything is worst .

1. Salaries are less according to industry standards
    2. Their health insurance is just worst since deductibles started on HSA
    3. Lot of politics in management.
    4. Server SOC team in Raleigh is worst with bad management

Advice to Management

First, Qualcomm should train managers. Managers have zero respect and zero appreciation for employees. Specially Server SOC physical design team in Raleigh is worst among all Qualcomm teams. I advise anyone to stay away from this team. I regretted my decision to join them 10 years back. Work balance is zero. You have no freedom on weekends. And at the end, managers will bite you in reviews with worst ratings. Really, nothing is going on good here. I am surprised, such a big company has worst management in history.

"Poor Management, Failing Business Model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large, Established company that will probably take many years to go all the way down the toilet

Cons

Incompetent Management
    Obsolete Business Model
    Layoffs, Demotions and Pay Cuts
    Low Employee Morale
    Decreasing Stock Value
    Highly Political Work Environment
    Commodity Product
    Unfair Employment Practice

Advice to Management

First and foremost, the current promotion and incentive system has resulted in incompetent management that is sinking the company. Stop rewarding people based on their abilities in areas having nothing to do with management. As an example, a good friend was harassed and threatened by a manager who said to him, "things will be much better for your personally if you do things my way." That goes against everything I've ever been taught about management, and is no way to motivate a man with an engineering Ph.D. from a Top Three school. My advice to management will never be heeded, because no one wants to hear that they are the problem, but that's definitely the case at this company. So my next best advice is to get out while you can.

Cell phone and telecommunications protocol businesses are in a low margin international commodity market. Phase out those markets and put resources into emerging technologies that have a more promising future.

"Keeps going downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Health benefits continue to decline.
    Constant fear of layoffs: The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    Tons of layoffs a year ago and today there are yet more layoffs. Even worse is that we have to train our overseas replacements!

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your employees. Qualcomm was once the place that everyone wanted to work. Not anymore.

"Horrible management, no work/life balance, a lot of unhappiness. Avoid like the plague!"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Verification Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Verification Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Onsite gym, San Diego weather, onsite training courses assuming you have the time to attend.

Cons

Countless! Management is terrible in this company. The place is heavily political and hostile. The environment inside the company is dog-eat-dog. For each person who gets a "good" performance review, an equal number of people must receive a "bad" performance review no matter how well they have done since people performance has to follow a bell curve distribution. This leads to cutthroat internal competition. Backstabbing within the team is encouraged and rewarded. My manager asked me blatantly to spy on my coworkers, find mistakes in their work, and write those things in reports behind my coworkers back since I am popular and respected among my peers. When I refused to do so, he threatened me that he will lower my performance and I will miss a promotion. I tried to look for another group to switch to within the company but failed. Switching groups via IOS is extremely difficult and almost impossible without the help of your manager, so if things aren’t so good between both of you then forget it, you better find job at a different company.

HR folks are useless and liars, don’t ever think of going to them with a complaint. They will almost always give you the wrong advice and will contact your manager behind your back and tell him that you came to them with a complaint even if they promised it will be confidential. HR department is just there to protect the company from any possible lawsuits; they don’t give a damn about employees. HR is a useless department completely.

If you don't want to get chewed up and spit out - and that can happen at any time - don't work there. The pay, which is below average, and benefits aren't worth the stress; it can make you physically ill. If you want to be a “good” performer by their standards, you are constantly stressing about being visible, not upsetting the wrong people and trying to stay ahead of your peers by any means, and if you have ethics, generally you don't do well. I know people who have done some truly unbelievable things to get ahead. If you aren’t cool enough then you will be singled out and targeted even by people you don’t work directly with. Be careful; don’t let yourself to be an escape goat for their failure. People advance in this company by backstabbing and connection with corrupt middle/upper management. You have to be your manager’s favorite pet to get a promotion. A bad manager can really prevent your career growth no matter how well you performed or what other people think of you.

The performance review process at Qualcomm is entirely flawed and completely subjective. Managers have the right to veto and override all 3rd-party feedbacks on an employee. They use this to create phony PIPs to eliminate anyone who dares to question their practices.

They hire a lot of fresh college grads with PhDs to do menial bench test work and treat them like indentured servants because most of them are foreigners and they need visa sponsorship to stay in the country. Qualcomm likes to hire PhDs straight out of college to make sure that they don’t have previous work experience so they don’t know that the workplace could be better elsewhere, and work them 24/7 in a killing environment. What they say in the interview is completely different from what the actual job is, a lot of sugar coating. The work is boring, repetitive, requires basic programming skills or not at all, copying and pasting. Basically the positions are low level engineering job that a technician with an associate degree can perform, however the internal policy requires that the job is filled with recent grads holding advanced degree. Utilizing your knowledge is frowned upon because that threatens your lead/manager’s image and makes him look weak. Most likely your work will be stolen by your lead. Managers are unappreciative, insulting and downright rude. If you have a PhD don’t waste your hard gained education or time here.

Foreign nationals in the company from India and China alone constitute more than 90% of the work force (diversity?!!). Those foreigners gang together, speak their own language in meeting rooms, labs, and hallways, and, shamelessly, hire and give promotions to their own kind. They hide work related information and keep the information within. They also gossip and share departments’ internal matters with their buddies in India and China. That creates a hostile environment for people who aren’t racially/ethnically related to the group members or not from the same region/village.

Mid-level and upper-level management are insecure and totally useless and clueless, they are there just to collect status from the engineers who do the actual work. Those managers create a lot of useless meetings, wasting the engineers’ precious time, while spending the majority of their day resting and vesting.

The list goes on and on. That caused a few people to commit suicide by jumping from the 11th floor balcony in San Diego campus. That just shows how horrible the environment is for foreigners to kill themselves in a company that claims to be one of the best 50 companies to work for in the world! If you are well educated, have morals and values then think twice before joining this unhealthy environment.

Working at Qualcomm feels like living in a third world country on an American soil.

Advice to Management

Managers are hopeless case, get rid of most of them seriously.

"pressure cooker"

Former Contractor - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Permanent employees get good salary.Manager was a good person

Cons

There are only cons.Pressure cooker environment with little manpower.Super high expectations and impossible targets.

11. "No growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

...

Cons

Nothing good about this company no pros, dead end job, full of beurocrisy, no guidance, people taking credit for other peoples work................... Just get out

...

Advice to Management

Stop taking the credit

Showing 145 of 3,966 reviews