Qualcomm Reviews | Glassdoor

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance was out of whack (in 367 reviews)

• No work-life balance and highly demanding (in 76 reviews)

1. "Not bad"

Pros

Great place to make a career

Cons

They didnt ask employee imput

"#metoo"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was a dream job until I was taken advantage of and told to not speak of it. This could be such a wonderful place but at its current state is scary.

Cons

Was inappropriately touched by my manager in my office and told to be quiet about it. This person is a high level manager and of course I was and am frightened to speak up but somehow, someway I will come forward regardless of what happens to my status in the professional community.

Advice to Management

Companies and individuals have to be held accountable for the actions in which they do to destroy other human beings. I am ashamed and disgusted that I didn’t come forward earlier simply due to fear and what the business world would do to me.

3. "Contract rates $56 an hour"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The type of work is engaging.

Cons

Contract rates too low for U.S. contractors.

Advice to Management

Contractors may work 3 to 6 months out of the year and are never guaranteed an extension. To pay $50 an hour for a Senior level engineer is like paying less than $50,000 a year. The pay is way below market value and I’m having to continually turn down development opportunities from Qualcomm because of it. The market rate that Qualcomm refuses to pay while outsourcing and offshoring to cheap labor is $120 an hour to $145 an hour. Some make $175 an hour for shorter contracts.

Qualcomm is paying $50 an hour and Indian contract houses are failing to pay American labor and have a 50%+ margin.

Companies like Qualcom, AMD, Dell, and NXP engaging in this salary cap should be investigated by the federal government. This is no different than caping automotive part prices preventing competition and is a form of racketeering and a violation of anti-trust laws. Why the government does not hold corporation accountable is because of corporate lobbyists and no doubt kick backs to politicians at the expense of American labor. Democrats and republicans are both responsible for this failure.

"No Value for Employees"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Compensation comparable to market
    * Quite relaxed work culture

If you are thinking of retirement, could be one of the best but not for new job seekers.

Cons

Many:
    * Management is rigid in assigning projects to new comers. If you are a fresh graduate, don't expect to get on a project of your choice or matching skills.
    * No values for past employees. I did my undergrad internship, 2 year full time in India and then grad internship in SD and at the end, didn't received my full time offer. Even after good work, manager review and a patent application out of my intern work.
    * HR is not very helpful. When I was not selected, my HR didn't even had the audacity to inform me and kept me hung. I came to know from a 2nd HR but already a lot of time had been wasted
    * During my full time in India, I kept asking for a project/team which suits my skills and area of interest, but they were like, we can't.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their skills. People stick to Qualcomm only because they had some personal reason or till they find a better opportunity, and not because they love (like hell) qualcomm. You can find many examples from R&D to QCT, you have lost many good people over time. I am saying this because, I have spent considerable time in Qualcomm and had worked with global teams and not only local, and so I know it.

"Physical Design Engineer"

I worked at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Worst place to work. Full of weak managers that just listen to SD.

Cons

Good benefits. Matching 401K and vacation.

"Stay Away From QC"

Former Employee - Corp Finance Department in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Corp Finance Department in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex hours - Onsite gym & cafe

Cons

New executive management - Outsourcing US jobs to India - Lied to by exec mgmt

Advice to Management

I worked there for 18 years and for a long time I was so proud to say I was a QC employee. However, that changed when Paul Jacobs retired.
    The atmosphere went from a "Family" work environment to being seen as an expense that needed to be cut.
    The employees are what made QC ... Management needs to keep that in mind

"A company on the wane"

I worked at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Good benefits and 401k, decent cafe on campus

Cons

No career growth, too much politics, weak CEO ,lack of true innovation

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and management team . Eliminate middle management

"Beware before you start at PMIC VI"

Current Employee - PMIC VI Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PMIC VI Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to live in San Diego.

Cons

Most of what they tell you at the job interview is incorrect. Very political and clannish culture. You have to be from the same ethnic background of the dir to advance in this department. People sabotaging each other and managers encourage the unethical behavior. The reasoning is to promote competition which is a total BS. A lot of incompetent, insulting and rude managers. Terrible work life balance. Compensation is not good relative to the industry standards. Very depressing atmosphere, avoid PMIC VI at all costs.

"Do not pursue employment at Qualcomm"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm (More than 3 years)

Pros

Past reputation. If you enjoy spending 50% of your time in conference rooms without windows that smell of mold filled with broken stained chairs and tables that are falling apart - this is your company! Company looks great from afar but once you actually start working it's a different story.

Cons

Qualcomm will own you. They will state in your legal documentation that you are free to do what you want on your own time as long as it doesn't conflict with Qualcomm business but if you do you will be fired without notice. Qualcomm wants you to be Innovative, but if you do so on your free time, they will fire you for even working on a simple free app for a cell phone that has nothing to do with their business.

Their pay is low and their health insurance used to be good but deduct 5k from your salary since they now have a 5k deductible before you get any benefit from their health plan.

You will be given little or no opportunity to progress your career as promotions as they are issued out as a popularity contest. If you do a great job, work late hours, but don't interface with outside teams you won't even get a chance of being considered for promotion. Leave the company and come back a few years later and they may hire you at a better title, that's really the only way.

You will be required to work overtime as everyone at Qualcomm is. Qualcomm only allows their time tracking to show 40 hours a week (I can only imagine for liability purposes) so even if you work your butt off you won't be able to prove it. Qualcomm hires a lot of people coming from other countries and works them to death. When employees finally figure that out, they leave which is why Qualcomm has such a large turnover.

Not a great experience at all.

Advice to Management

I don't believe there are actually any managers at Qualcomm. Managers should be interested in helping you career develop and scheduling time to talk to you about your projects and how they can help. I've never had that, Managers at Qualcomm prefer not to be bothered.

"The ship has sunk."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work in some groups. Some smart engineers still in the company. Nice campus in San Diego. Weather!

5G adoption might be an upside in 2020 possibly.

Cons

Pay is not comparable to other tech companies.
    Losing talent due to attrition.
    Massive cost cutting.
    Can't attract the best people currently as talent quality is going down.
    Severely understaffed in many groups.
    Cash bonuses and RSUs practically non existent for last few years.
    Leadership lacks vision and is risk averse.
    Horrible medical plan. (Previous plan was great)
    Annual review cycle from twice a year is just a cost cutting tactic.

Advice to Management

You have lost and continue to lose talent very fast mainly due to poor compensation, and reduction in benefits/cost cutting. It might already be too late to recover.

Listen to employee feedback.

Don't be too over confident and dismiss competitors.

Showing 163 of 4,366 reviews