Quartet Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
David Wennberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Mission Driven + Fast growing healthcare startup"

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time

Pros

Incredible people working to address a huge gap in our healthcare system. Employees are connected on a personal level to the larger mission which helps everyone push through the obstacles and barriers that we face. There are tons of opportunity for personal growth as we continue to scale.

Cons

Constant change as every growing startup experiences. Scaling from a 10 to 50 to 150 person company is not easy as processes and culture evolve.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the larger mission, hire A+ people and to celebrate the small victories.

"Change is happening and it feels good"

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time

Pros

I work with intelligent and engaging people as my co-workers
    We're not corporate, you get to be yourself and feel safe
    My manager is fantastic. He supports me and will step in if I need him to, or he's hands off and just trusts me to get my work done in the office or from home. It doesn't matter where I do it, as long as it's done and i'm happy.

Cons

All the change happened at once, but it's for the greater good of the business and our mission.

Advice to Management

We have an opportunity to get this right. Keep trusting everyone to do great work, stay outcome focused, have one plan in place and keep it on track.

3. "They listened, made changes, and are on the right track"

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is the same, but management and the board listened to the frustrations of the team and made changes. They promoted the chief science officer to CEO and promoted a new head of product. The new leaders refocused on goals, strategies, and initiatives. I’m exited for the new direction and focus.

Cons

We still try and do to many things at the same time, though at least now the work is shared across the company uniformly

Advice to Management

Keep listening, keep the focus clear and direct

"Bright Startup, Fallen on Dark Times"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Quartet Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great mission, and some really smart, dedicated, generous and talented people.
    * Working for a good cause feels good, even on tough days
    * Slightly more diverse than other companies (although very few Black employees, and women in leadership seem to get shuffled around a suspicious amount)
    * Unique employees contribute to a vibrant culture... mental health awareness panels, zumba class, lightning talks, tech meetups, mental health first aid training, feedback training.
    * People are nice and genuinely want to help you, even across team boundaries.
    * Family / parental leave policy
    * After a lot of departures, might be a clean slate to start again. I think a good mission attracts people with good intentions. Despite having left, I genuinely care about this company and think they can still get it together. I believe in you, Arun.

Cons

Quartet attracts great people, but is not good at retaining them. Burning people out, despite the company having a reasonable amount of money and hiring resources at this point. Bad top-level leadership in product, design and tech. Told most of the design team to leave because of a supposed "lack of positivity", throwing products into chaos while new designers and product managers got up to speed. CTO unable to maintain an APIs team, despite hiring many dedicated, patient and talented engineers.

Founder has always projected a message of approachability, transparency, and upholds a startup-y belief in moving fast and breaking things, but after the company president was hired in my 2nd year of employment at Quartet, I noticed a change. Upper management seemed to prioritize seeming like they "had things under control" with being honest with employees. As employee happiness diminished due to the culture becoming more corporate, upper management concentrated on blowing money on perks rather than focusing on how to treat people better.

So many people have left in the last 6 months. Will they get it together?

Advice to Management

Get back to the roots of your culture: valuing transparency, the ability to speak honestly, and good work. Also keep hiring diverse people (and give them equal pay and opportunities for advancement). Scaling is important -- we want to connect more people to mental healthcare -- but you don't have to sell your soul and turn into a Corporation to get there.

5. "Good experience"

I worked at Quartet Health full-time

Pros

I liked the start up vibes

Cons

Things changed a lot which made it hard

"The mission is amazing but the culture is rough"

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gave the company two points because my coworkers are awesome and the mission keeps us going. We're helping sick people get care and that is important to me.

Cons

Some of the worst gender inequality I've seen. It's brought up sometimes and we're told to talk to "HR," but leadership acts surprised and nothing gets done. As someone else posted, we can't hold onto female leadership and that sucks.

The CEO is kind of a monster. He's encouraging one minute and is blaming everyone for failing the next. I don't think he's ever run a company before and I'm not even sure if he's managed a team before. The people who seem to last the longest are those who stroke his ego.

We are changing focus a lot and are told that's how startups are but I have friends who work in startups and when I share how things happen here, they laugh at me.

Advice to Management

Actually do something about the culture. It's been like this as long as I've been here and it's not about snacks or lunches. It's about treating each other with respect. If you don't think there's a gender problem, you are part of the problem.

"Product"

Current Employee - Product in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product in New York, NY

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic mission
    Would rate 5 stars if not for issues at the top
    Super smart team members
    Great investors

Cons

CEO
    Horrific culture
    Leads by fear and intimidation
    Gender inequality so apparent

Advice to Management

I came for the mission as did most of my colleagues. Despite a CEO who simply doesn’t understand the first thing about leadership, this is a great company. He blames everyone but himself, talks poorly about those who have left, and can’t seem to keep a female executive on his team.So many hard working people who want to do great things. I am going to hang in there and hope that all these really smart people figure out that the challenges we are facing are not external, but internal here, and sit at the very top of our organization.

Aug 16, 2018 – People

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience working for Quartet. We’re pleased to hear you enjoy your colleagues and our mission, and of course disappointed to hear of your frustrations... More

"Really progressive workplace"

Pros

Modern, casual, team-oriented, diverse, great culture

Cons

None, none, none, none, none!

Advice to Management

Amazing job! I feel the environment is very lax yet people take their work seriously. Micromanaging is not the way and Quartet gets that.

"Do yourself a favor and go to any other company"

I worked at Quartet Health full-time

Pros

A few good eggs, scattered about the company.

Cons

About five employees leaving per week; recruiting team can't recruit quick enough to keep up with attrition.

Abominable upper management - I can't say enough terrible things about the CEO. No respect for work/life balance, treats women horribly and doesn't follow through with his promises.

The culture is all about work... literally nothing else.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

Jul 17, 2018 – People

Thank you for providing your honest feedback regarding your experience here at Quartet. We aim to create a work environment of inclusivity and strive to be the best. It’s disappointing to hear that... More

"Tech Org is Lost"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Quartet Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some pretty talented people, a lot of nice snacks, decent free lunches some times. A lot of employees really care about the mission (which is not to say that the company does).

Cons

If you're an engineer, don't bother. We've been stuck on a huge tech debt project for over a year and there's no end in sight. We're losing developers left and right haven't brought anyone new on in months.

There are virtually no good, competent leaders in tech and decisions just sort of happen. The frontend codebase is a complete catastrophe too.

Advice to Management

CEO should step aside and hire an actual COO who knows how to run a company. Plain and simple.

Jul 17, 2018 – People

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We’re disappointed to hear this feedback, as we work hard to create an environment where talented engineers have the opportunity to do their best work... More