Quartzy Reviews

Updated May 29, 2020

4.8
Quartzy CEO Jayant Kulkarni (no image)
Jayant Kulkarni
  1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Quartzy full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has a great set of managers and leaders who are really approachable and open to new ideas. There is always opportunities for employees to voice their opinion and have some input on the direction the company is going. -Great benefits -Catered lunch -Stocked refrigerator Everything you need to be a functional worker. I have really enjoyed my time here and look forward to continue growing with the company.

Cons

Like any start up there is constant change. Some people might view this as a bad thing but this is the same with any company trying to make their way.

2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Quartzy full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are smart, adaptable, and welcoming

Cons

leadership, planning, and building a sustainable product

"Great mission, devoted employees, good culture!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Quartzy full-time

Pros

Every team is very close-knit and supportive. Casual work atmosphere. Flat organization, you can talk with and collaborate with anyone. Consistently brining amazing people onboard.

Cons

Still working out the kinks of remote culture.

Continue reading
  4. "Great Company Culture!"

I have been working at Quartzy full-time

Pros

Quartzy is full of great people and open to remote work. The product is cool!

Cons

Things can move slowly sometimes, but we're working on that.

"Great experience with the normal start up excitement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Quartzy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although there are still the normal start up difficulties to build the right processes, everyone is very open to making changes when it makes sense. This is the first company I've worked for where I feel like I'm actually doing something good for the world. It is still a business at the end of the day, but what we provide empowers our customers to continue their good work.

Cons

Not everything has a clear process, and there is currently no good feedback on performance and how to improve. I believe this will be changing soon, but it does sometimes feel like I'm just guessing on what I should be doing to improve.

Continue reading

"I have been working here"

I have been working at Quartzy full-time

Pros

The people and the culture! At Quartzy you will meet some of the most intelligent, respectful, supportive, entertaining, hard-working people. It is a privilege to be able to come to work everyday and work alongside these individuals. It truly does feel like being a part of a family and something bigger than yourself. Everyone is working hard to always tackle new projects and think of new ideas/approaches to problems. People give 120% and won't let you fall behind if you need help. Everyone approaches their work with humility and patience. You will never go a day in the office without laughing. Never a dull moment! There is a strong sense of transparency within the company. There are meetings between different teams every week, Monday stand-up updates, Friday town hall Q&A sessions with the co-founders, and quarterly State of the Start Up meetings. These are all set in place to keep everybody up to date with the rapid changes that are happening within the company, and they really do just that. Multiple company bonding events to help you build relationships outside of the office setting! There is a constant theme of celebration. There is always something to celebrate, whether it be someone's birthday, Cheers to the New People, or someone's Quartzy anniversary! This positivity is contagious and encouraging.

Cons

Not really a con for me personally, but things are always changing! Sometimes it may be hard to keep up or stay up to date with the most recent change. There is a certain amount of controlled chaos at all times, but it just presents you with a chance to learn and tackle something from a new angle! We don't have every method developed, and we have yet to try out countless new approaches to things, so there are definitely some big unknowns which can be daunting to some at times.

"Great place to work."

I worked at Quartzy full-time

Pros

Leadership that cares about the mission and the employees.

Cons

Nothing outside of the usual chaos you would expect at a startup.

"Somewhere that the people, mission, and culture come together in a meaningful way"

I have been working at Quartzy full-time

Pros

- People I have never met such a passionate, ambitious, intelligent, and genuinely nice group of people. Everyone is so determined to do well, yet they all stop to help and support each other. People want each other to succeed. And it's a quirky bunch - there are so many unique and interesting people here that bring a different point of view to the table. It's quite inspiring to be around, and helps you learn and expand your own way of thinking. - Mission The mission and the product is something I can stand behind. Quartzy strives to advance the pace of scientific discovery through efficiency. Once you really dig deeper into this industry, it's shocking how inefficient and frankly ridiculous these processes and systems are. Quartzy strives to fix those problems in a well thought out and well designed way while putting the scientists/customers first. Every company says they want to change the world or disrupt some space, but this is in a tangible way that I can actually see the impact of the company and my own work. - Culture Quartzy is a very open environment - open to new ideas and open in the sense of communication. The company is always receptive to new ideas or solutions, and is always working to communicate with us. The founders are extremely transparent and work hard to keep everyone in the loop with staff meeting notes, bi-weekly town halls with Q&A, quarterly company presentations (State of the Start-Up), etc. - Personal / Professional Development Quartzy is a great learning experience. Even where you're not doing something towards an exact career path, you’re still learning things like time management, public speaking, critical thinking, data analysis, etc. And you learn a lot from just observing how Quartzy grows as a business. The company also has been supportive of upward and lateral movement, although sometimes it takes time for those transitions. - Bonus perks Free food, fun people you want to hang out who organize poker nights, LAN parties, etc, a 401k (finally! although no matching), wellness programs that make us work out to stay healthy, and fun company events (improv, paint night, retreat).

Cons

- Scaling Any time you have fast growth, you will have growing pains. Typically, you’re always in a state of playing “catch-up” - whether that is with hiring, executing, building infrastructure, or creating processes. It’s great that we’re growing, but it does mean you’ll never be really comfortable. I think Quartzy has made a good effort to accommodate this growth, and has learned more and more how to better plan for it, but it will never be perfect. - Switching directions Part of being at a startup is that you’re always experimenting. A project today may shift directions tomorrow based on the incoming results or data. Sometimes this means not just a shift in responsibilities but also a shift in mindset. And that’s can be hard to do. You truly have to be flexible and adaptable. - Uncertain career path When you join Quartzy, you don’t quite know where you’ll end up. Depending on the role, there may not be a predetermined career ladder for you. A lot of it is on you to explore what you’re interested in and to see how that would fit into the company. It takes your own initiative and also working with your manager to determine what is the best next step for you. But having said that, I know a lot of people who never imagined themselves in the role there are in now, but are happy to have made that transition. - Unknown unknowns The founders are first time founders, which means they’re super open in general (there isn’t a “right way” to do something) but sometimes you just don’t know what you don’t know. Quartzy balances that with hiring more experienced people in certain teams and bringing on advisors in others, but the company may be better at anticipating growth if we had more experience overall.

9. "N/A"

4.0

I have been working at Quartzy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company culture, many opportunities for fun outside of work. Great people - all very hard working and determined to learn.

Cons

Everything is approached with a scientific mindset - but business can't always be conducted like an experiment. Restrictive approaches to measuring success can hinder new ideas.

"Marketplace Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Mss

I have been working at Quartzy full-time for more than a year

Pros

My favorite part of working at Quartzy is the people. I can honestly say that I look forward to going to work in the morning because I work with people I genuinely like and who are hardworking, dedicated, and friendly. I've also had numerous opportunities to try new things by taking on fresh responsibilities, learning new tools, and working closely with people from different teams. I have never had an idea be ignored or expressed an interest in a new project without being given the opportunity to pursue it.

Cons

The MSS team uses a network of interlinked systems that can seem daunting at the outset. However, because everyone is very supportive and willing to help, as long as you're willing to learn, it doesn't take much time to get up to speed!

Found 30 reviews