Qubit Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Graham Cooke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great perks (free food, subsidised gym, yoga, fortnightly drinks) (in 10 reviews)

• The Qubit team are a group of very smart people working towards a set of common, clear goals (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There are the growing pains of a start-up, most of the cons are really what you'd expect from a fast growing company (in 5 reviews)

• The only con I've experienced so far is the lack of work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Has some challenges but amazing team and great benefits"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Qubit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible & great benefits
    - Smart team and great people to work with, you'll learn a lot!
    - Interesting product, very technical
    - Great exposure to executive / senior stakeholders at cool ecom businesses (if you are client facing)

Cons

- Cross country communication can be tough with the HQ in London
    - Tech positioning needs to be solidified
    - Still very UK focused

Advice to Management

Walk to walk when it comes to putting effort and senior leadership in the US

"Disappointing experience"

I worked at Qubit full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Interesting industry and product roadmap
    - Solid client list

Cons

- After the 'restructuring', business shifted from being people-first to be revenue-first.. and people became overworked as morale/motivation sank
    - Constantly pivoting the company's value proposition, product is always over-stretching themselves to launch new instead of fix old
    - No progression, your title may change but your responsibility will not
    - Minuscule pay rises that only happen on promotion
    - Mid level management has no experience
    - A lot of self-serving people running the show and those who shout the loudest get credit/recognised; which makes it toxic for others

Advice to Management

- Become people-centric again. Continue hiring great people, but provide them the avenues and recognition to be motivated and succeed.
    - Recognise diversity - not just in gender or race, but personality and working styles.
    - Be humble.

"Has an exciting future"

I have been working at Qubit full-time

Pros

I have been at Qubit from the early days. This is a truly special business and one with a long and exciting road ahead. The journey we have been on has had to go through some twists and turns but we have come out of it stronger and more focused. I work with some seriously smart people and have had the pleasure of promoting and observing many talented individuals who have risen up through the business.

Cons

A legacy sink or swim culture has existed but training and development has vastly improved. If you're not naturally curious to learn new things then this company is probably not for you.

Advice to Management

Stay true to our core values and continue to invest in talent

"Customers are leading the way to Qubit's future!"

I have been working at Qubit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are young and smart. New hires are bringing some great experience to the business. New product direction is listening to the market needs and offering innovations not seen in the market elsewhere.

Cons

Marketing is tough in a crowed market, need to get above the noise. Still need help here.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to customers and let them drive what they need from us. Use innovation as a consistent way to differentiate, and make it difficult for competition to copy. Our customers are our biggest asset, solving their business problems will naturally bring others!

"Great Tech that needs better Marketing and Positioning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Qubit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing tech drives the solution. Almost too good and valuable for the solution.

Cons

Market positioning has been poor. Pricing seems out of line.

Advice to Management

Change your tactics, not your goals. Be patient. Say yes. Allow the market to drive and define your product, or accept losses better.

"Depressing environment and mundane work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Qubit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The team in the US is amazing. Qubit is lucky to have formed a team as motivated, talented and diverse.

Annnnnnnndddddd that's it.

Cons

Management:

The management is focused purely on the UK and is incredibly out of touch with what the US needs to be successful. CEO along with most upper level management is barely present in the US. This lack of presence has widen the divide between the UK and the US.

Middle level management has generally fallen into these roles purely from their length of employment. They have no idea how to manage a team, or create career progression plans amongst other things. However, I think this isn't purely their fault. There is a handful of incredible managers who are trying to go above and beyond for their employees but they are given no autonomy from upper management.

Benefits:

Compared to the US markets the teams are generally underpaid and a large portion of salary is bonus. Which is fine when the company is in the initial startup growth phase but as the company begins to mature, this compensation structure leads to nothing but friction between staff and Qubit.

Secondly, most of the perks that were present when I started have since gone walkabout or greatly scaled back.

Career Progression:

None. Unsure how to elaborate on this, I think None sums up the situation nicely.

Retention:

By now this shouldn't surprise you, but the US (I can't speak for the UK) is in all sorts trying to hold onto their employees. Everyone has decided to pull up stumps. Personally, this is the biggest red flag. A SaaS company is founded on good services and a good team, without this, Qubit will only continue to flounder in the US.

Advice to Management

- You need to understand different markets need different approaches... Cookie cutter does not work on an international stage.

- Be consistent. You took a hard stance on workplace shenanigans last year post conference, but this year, that has seemed to weakened.. But maybe that's because one is in management and the other wasn't. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

- Realise you are a SaaS company, not a product company. This means you have a services team, just in case you were unsure.

- Bring back TQIF's and other cool perks. They are a small cost but did wonders for team morale.

- Be more present in the US.

- Start to look at the US market not the UK employees for salary and benefits.

- Be honest and transparent. The US team is small, and there is a bunch of rumours floating around everywhere. Management should lead the charge here and look to become the source of truth, instead of playing chinese whispers.

"Don't fall into this trap."

I worked at Qubit full-time

Pros

- Intelligent, diverse coworkers. A lot of really smart people from all sorts of different personal and professional backgrounds.
    - Office perks - food, flexible work schedules, travel for work

Cons

- Extremely unprofessional/unethical upper management; a lot of drug use and serious sexual harassment from the top all the way down.

- False transparency. For example, in one all-hands I remember being told Qubit had spent absolutely none of the current funding; in another I was told that millions had been spent in a matter of months. There's never a clear picture of what is actually going on.

- Extremely political. Layoffs come fast and strong, and it doesn't matter if you're a top performer...if you aren't a favorite (or in a relationship with someone with clout) then you are at risk. Even when layoffs aren't an issue, there is constant trash talking and some sort of scheming going on.

- Terrible training, and horrible understanding of the product. When the entire company was asked to answer "what does Qubit do?" responses ranged far and wide. There were virtually no two alike. How can you expect to succeed when there is no common understanding of your business?

- Sketchy/fake Glassdoor reviews. From my first month in, I was receiving requests from People Ops to write a positive review on Glassdoor with specific suggestions of things to mention. I'm not kidding when I say that almost no one I knew at Qubit was happy.

- No morale. And no morals.

- Constantly changing directions, but not for good reason. I understand startups change, I've been there, done that. This is not the case here. For a company who supposedly captures endless amounts of data, you'd think they'd be able to analyze the data they are gathering on their own business. Not the case. Plans and directions are changed from day to day, for no apparent reason. Or at least, there is no actual explanation for these things...i.e., no transparency.

- Set in their ways. They say they want to hear suggestions and voices of the company, but it's rare that any of those ideas make it anywhere.

- Poor management. Managers barely know what they are doing, let alone have the ability to direct others. Laughable.

- Huge, unwarranted ego from upper management. Management will legitimately tell sales to turn down a deal worth hundreds of thousands of dollars for the most ridiculous reasons. I have actually heard the term "if they don't understand why they should buy our technology, then we don't need them." A primary reason why sales are plummeting, clients are churning, and sales reps are making little to no money. If you're in sales, don't expect the type of support where management wants to help you close a deal at all costs.

Most unprofessional and miserable job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Change everything. Stop laying off your valuable employees, the people who work hard and provide actual good ideas. Start being transparent with what is going on in the company and why you are making the decisions you are. Stop sleeping with your employees. Stop doing drugs with your employees. Start being mentors, examples of what you want your employees to be. Start listening to feedback from people, and making changes based on that feedback rather than telling people they are wrong. Start leading.

Qubit Response

Feb 6, 2017 – HR Department

At Qubit we have a clear code of ethics and take a zero-tolerance approach to any form of unwanted behaviour or harassment. We have policies in place to ensure that any concerns raised through our... More

"Massive turnover, steer clear!"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Qubit full-time

Pros

- Above market rate salaries (beware-- this is to make sure no one quits)
    - Nice offices and locations internationally
    - Generally smart employees (especially in Client Services and Engineering side)
    - Amazing perks and travel
    - Interesting product and well-built but no one can afford it or is willing to pay what they are charging

Cons

** You should know, because no one else has posted about it: Qubit just had a massive layoff (30+ people) and has extremely high turnover YOY. There is no loyalty here and layoffs weren't even indicators of performance. Sales are promised high reward but fired within 6 months if they haven't closed anything. Sales are stagnant. I do not recommend this company at this time because there is no job security and stress is currently very high-- I hope this will change!

- The people
    - As stated above, the pay is really high, but this is to trap employees. No one really quits, because they could never find another company to match what they made at Qubit
    - ** Sexual harassment here is terrible, and its from the top down. Most unprofessional work place and sexual harassment is swept under the rug or the person making the complaints is put on a performance plan then fired. I personally witnessed this happening in my first few months at Qubit and it was extremely unethical
    - Most unprofessional place I have ever worked and constant fear of being fired
    - Very difficult to move up, little to no internal mobility on most teams
    - Sales team is full of entirely self-centered people who would throw each other under the bus without a second thought-- stealing accounts, completely unsupportive, toxic place

Advice to Management

- Stop spending money you don't have
    - No, really, this is unsustainable
    - Don't hire people you can't afford then fire them-- this turnover is unsustainable and expensive
    - re-evaluate pricing model, the product is better than most competitors and we shouldn't be losing so many deals to them
    - standardize sales process across the board to shorten time to close
    - handle ALL sexual harassment complaints and create a safe place for women to work-- you'll end up losing more money in law suits than you would by firing the people doing the harassing-- even if they are top performers

Qubit Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Communications & Customer Advocacy Manager

Hi,

Thank you for your open and honest review. We’ve taken on board your feedback and have shared with the relevant people internally.

As a fast-growing company, we’re aware that we’re not... More

"Definition of a Start Up"

Pros

The work that you do at Qubit is really interesting. You will analyze data to drive actionable insights that actually impact your clients bottom line.

The team is made up of some really stellar people. Everyone isl incredibly smart, driven, and collaborative. I can not speak more highly of some of my peers - the talent at the company is really incredible.

Cons

Management.

Product.

Morale (and morality).

Progression.

Salary.

"Senior Account Executive"

I worked at Qubit full-time

Pros

Great smart people work here. Love working with the Brits. Dynamic fast paced company with fast innovation on the Engineering side of Qubit.

Cons

Totally saturated market so limiited sales potential. A/B Testing & web site personalization has already been done by most companies.

Advice to Management

Expamd the platform into new markets.