Queens Tribune Reviews | Glassdoor

1.5
  1. "Decent beginning"

Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at Queens Tribune full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll make good connections if you're aggressive enough to talk to people at press conferences and meetings.

Cons

The paper does not respect your personal time or the pay you need to live and you will have to fight for both.

Advice to Management

Make sure the reporters see you speaking and acting on behalf of their best interests.

Queens Tribune2016-06-01
  2. "Despicable in every possible way"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Fresh Meadows, NY

I worked at Queens Tribune full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free parking, staff is friendly.

Cons

I worked at the Queens Tribune a long time ago, but within the first week of working there, the owner made a comment that I looked like the kind of girl that liked to be tied up. I looked for a new job nearly immediately. Also, the owner paid his reporters enough to qualify them for welfare in NYC while he drove a new porsche.....The editor in chief at the time was no less a weasel, but not in a sexual harassment... kind of way. He literally made up stories about the reporters (I was an Associate editor), talking about me negatively as a micromanager (when in reality I hardly even ever talked to the reporters and only once gave them assignments), then he stole some of my ideas and pitched them as his own and then tried to continuously make me feel like he was doing me a favor by having a job there. Within three months I left for a very successful trade magazine making twice what I was making at the Queens Tribune, and had one of the best editors/managers of my career. Oh and the bathrooms at this place were deplorable, and with the three months I was there, there was only one time I saw a cleaning crew. Do yourself a favor and stay the heck away from this toxic place.

Advice to Management

Get some management training, invest in your staff, get some HR compliance training in there immediately--you're luck you haven't been sued.

Queens Tribune2018-06-27
  3. "Absolute disaster. How is it still in business?"

I have been working at Queens Tribune for less than a year

Pros

None. Period. I don't even have five words.

Cons

How is this company still in business? Advertising takes precedence over real news. If you're looking for a place to destroy your faith in journalism in as short as two weeks, here you go, work here.

Advice to Management

Pack it up and go home, it's hopeless

Queens Tribune2016-06-27
  4. "Stepping Stone"

I worked at Queens Tribune

Pros

It is just a job a stepping stone for something better

Cons

Over work under pay. You are going to be work to the bone for no decent compensation

Queens Tribune2016-06-13
  5. "lots of fun, lots of burnout"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Queens Tribune full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, good editor, you get lots and lots of experience very quickly. Great place to begin a journalism career. You cover everything and anything and get to take your own photos, which can be fun for someone who likes photography. It's a real reporting job, not just an office/ news aggregating job.

Cons

Low pay. looong hours. people suffer from burnout. lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

pay more. give more flexibility in the schedule. have more meetings about how to improve editorial content. don't let advertisers and personal interests drive editorial content.

Queens Tribune2016-02-15
  6. "Broken Beyond Repair"

Former Employee - Reporter in Whitestone, NY

I worked at Queens Tribune full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a reporter, you get to meet and work with a lot of talented individuals. It is an excellent experience if you are just starting out in the field.

Cons

Seasoned reporters/editors do not fit in with the current goals of the company. Unless you're willing to do every story your told to, without second-guessing yourself, than I would stay away. Like a lot of small town papers, ad revenue runs the show. This job involves a lot of butt kissing, so be prepared to cater to the paper's corporate clientele. Based purely on salary, this job is a serious step backwards... for anyone who is trying to make their way in the field of professional journalism today. Bottom Line: The only ones who make any money are the advertising reps, so I strongly urge anyone interested in the job to consider it carefully before rushing in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your young reporters, some of them may have really great ideas! Also, nobody wants to work at job that requires them to work more than 40 hours a week, without compensation, without the possibility of advancement and without proper respect.

Queens Tribune2015-09-22
  7. "One step forward, one step back"

I worked at Queens Tribune part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people, sincere and devoted to paper. Editorial and ad revenue potential is great, and given long-term support, will come to fruition.

Cons

Growing, but not where it should be: overly concerned with political landscape to make notable strides an independent newspaper.

Advice to Management

No more 'business as usual.' Go out on a limb. Not every action will result in instantaneous revenue: some things will take time, but will be profitable in the end.

Queens Tribune2015-04-16

"I am the leading salesperson and I dislike the job"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Queens Tribune full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none! People are treated like serfs with no respect

Cons

Obsolete material, inexperienced management, no benefits

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century. Management has no experience computers are obsolete as well as phone system.

Queens Tribune2014-06-09

"Lack of Management Direction: a sure route to failure"

Current Employee - Director of Advertising and Marketing

I have been working at Queens Tribune full-time

Pros

Autonomy; a mostly friendly staff and access to managers at your level.

Cons

No direction from senior management; no goals set. never had a single management team meeting. Every idea to invest in the future growth of the company was shut down.

Advice to Management

Provide direction to your managers. And for goodness sake, hold meetings where all the managers discuss the future of the company.

Queens Tribune2013-04-05

"A once prestigious place to start your career, is actually now a career staller."

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Whitestone, NY

I worked at Queens Tribune part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great if you live in queens Casual athmosphere

Cons

A lot of interdepartmental relationship problems Losing money fast Pay is very low Tense athmosphere Abusive, intolerant management

Advice to Management

Get with the times, put money and time into the web! You are in a downward spiral and are standing there like a deer in the headlights. WAKE UP!

Queens Tribune2012-09-02