Queensboro Shirt Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Fred Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Felt Like Home"

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first time I walked in to the building, I knew I wanted to be here. I prepared for the interview more than I ever had before and I really have not stopped preparing in the two years since. The work challenges you to be better and the rewards reach beyond the office walls. Hard work is rewarded hard. Open door policy with management is not just talk. Camaraderie between all departments is a priority!

Cons

It is a BIG undertaking, but the building could use more love. The snack table is too close to my desk.

Advice to Management

Keep the four Ps (Principled, Positive, Productive, Proactive) and greatness is yours. Figure out the parking situation 'cause you are going to need it.

2. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Queensboro is a company that is always striving to get better and they are 100% customer service focused. It is an extremely encouraging environment where hard work is appreciated as much as your feedback! A great place to work. Employee events make it really fun too!

Cons

The Building could use some updates

"Not a good fit? Really?"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

Pros

M-F workweek. Casual dress. Free espresso. Free shirt. Free lunch once a month. Staff meetings consist of watching movies. Seriously.

Cons

Very cliquish working environment, although it's sold as a "family." Lots of young, "hip" artists and IT people who won't acknowledge the lowlies. CEO spoke to me once on Day One and promised a conversation within the first two days about my "future." We never spoke again, and that conversation never happened. Customer Service "management" team spends a lot of time goofing off and watching videos on YouTube...which they then share with employees on the in-house Facebook, Slack. Yet, your own internet use is highly scrutinized. Employees are encouraged to take breaks, shoot hoops, workout in the company "gym" (which is sad), and so on, all to "increase productivity," but only a salaried few dare to do so at the expense of their work. Training for the position was disjointed and disorganized, and the trainers complained about each other to me when the other was out of the room. I could go on.

Advice to Management

How can you fire someone for not being a "good fit?" Especially when you don't even know the person? If I didn't fit in, it wasn't for lack of trying. Brought donuts to meetings at my own expense. Went out to lunch with coworkers. Went to a coworker's play to support him. Gave out birthday cards. Was told I had no complaints, and seemed to get along with all coworkers, so...I didn't fit in? Or I didn't fit your definition of "fitting in?" This experience was the biggest waste of my time.

4. "Fun"

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays good, good co-workers, relaxed environment, open lines of communication, generous paid time-off/vacation, steady work, moral and tolerant

Cons

Equipment a little outdated, a tad cult-like in its atmosphere/loyalty, production areas noisy, slow advancement, particularly difficult customers, no 401k

Advice to Management

Get 401k, some equipment upgrades, quiet areas/times

5. "Employees are trusted with the responsibility to improve the company."

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Queensboro's management expects all employees to consider how their actions can improve the company. There is a high level of trust involved, which is empowering. The company is focused on continual improvement. Employees are given both the responsibility to meet customer needs and the power to make it happen. One doesn't have to constantly seek managerial approval to fix customer issues. Respect for each employee's contribution is a strong part of the company culture.

Cons

Management tends to make frequent changes in strategy. Changes in procedures to accommodate the changing strategies are sometimes vague and confusing.

Advice to Management

Strive for clearer procedural norms across all departments. Gain more control of logistics.

6. "Truly amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Queensboro Shirt Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had a lot of jobs in customer service and I can honestly say that this one is by far the best.
    The owner and the management truly care about the employees and creating a awesome environment.
    It's a very laid back work environment with a great community of coworkers.
    There's very good benefits and lots of opportunity for growth within the company.
    They don't micromanage, but instead hold everyone to high standards to make sure that the job gets done.
    They frequently have luncheons and other events to strengthen relationships within the company, and to just have fun and reward everyone for their hard work.
    I really would recommend this job to anyone!

Cons

I honestly don't have any!

7. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

I have worked for Queensboro for almost 4 years and I still love my job. We moved into our new office space little over a year ago and it is such a professional and friendly atmosphere. We have an open floor plan with different departments grouped together. No closed up offices or cubicles. You can see everyone openly across the room which is so convenient. Fred the owner is in the same room with us and walks through each department daily chatting with everyone. I love what I do for the company, working with the employees and the customers. We work as a team when it comes to the work, but we also are a family when it comes to how close we all are and how we take care of one another. We know how to get our work done and have a good time with all our fellow employees. You are not micromanaged her at Queensboro, we are empowered to manage our own time wisely and get our jobs down. Our feedback matters here at Queensboro! We all work together to make this a truly great place to work. I can't imagine working for a better group of people and a better company!

Cons

There is no retirement/401K opportunities

Advice to Management

retirement/401K opportunities

8. "Focused On Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

casual, friendly work environment
    intelligent and stimulating co-workers
    ability to make things right for the customer
    focus on constant improvement
    open workspace leads to easy collaboration
    involved employees advance quickly

Cons

few amenities
    no restaurants in walking distance
    demanding customers
    no place to hide on a bad day
    noise level can be a distraction

Advice to Management

Retain customer focus and present drive toward improvement. Hire a professional cleaning crew for a once a week dusting and moping.

9. "Great place for people who like to work hard."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Queensboro has a casual work environment on the surface. Dress is very casual and everyone is very friendly. There are no doors. It is total open office environment and everyone pretty much sits together from the President of the Company to the newest employee. The people are all very nice and smart but everyone works really hard and there is no place to hide so you can't fake it, which is great as everyone has to pull his or her own weight.

Cons

Change is constant and sometimes the customers can be difficult to deal with so sometimes things get a little unsettling. The work is pretty much non stop, so there is not much down time.

Advice to Management

try to keep growing the company bigger so there are more opportunities for everyone!

10. "Entrepreneurial Company & Collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

There is a positive environment at Queensboro, where everyone is very friendly and is very proud of and passionate about the business and what they do. There is positive feedback amongst all employees when someone performs well. It is very interesting and exciting to work in a collaborative environment where all departments work together from logo design to customer service. Dress code is relaxed, and management is very responsive to employees' needs. All employees get to meet together during monthly lunches where we discuss and reflect upon the month's progress and what has been going on in the company. Advancement within and across the company is very common.

Cons

It is at times hard to stay updated with all of the projects and changes within other departments while the job does require careful attention to detail and a lot of hard work. Meanwhile, meetings and interacting with other employees helps to lessen this problem, and we are rewarded for our efforts.

Advice to Management

Even further collaboration between departments, as has been done recently, could help to keep everyone on the same page and to increase efficiency.