Quest Diagnostics Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, NJ

I worked at Quest Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has very employee-centric policies and generally a caring culture. Leadership has a clear vision of where they are taking the organization and have a focus on reducing waste and errors to produce accurate results for patients over 99.9% of the time. Employees have multiple avenues to be heard by leaders and the organization has multiple diversity and inclusion groups and participates in numerous charity organizations.

Cons

Every process is highly engineered, which is great for patients and providers, but the exacting standards and tight controls may be difficult for some to adapt to. Salaries are average for the industry, but bonus payments have been below average as the company seeks to control expenses to meet Wall Street expectations. Limited opportunities for advancement in "corporate functions" roles unless you're willing to relocate or live/work in Madison, NJ.

Advice to Management

While the company has great policies and programs for employees, sometimes this gets lost as there is a perception that shareholders come first. Shift the focus to driving employee engagement and let the employees (continue to) produce shareholder value.

"Very dissatisfied with this company!!"

Current Employee - Specimen Technician I in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Specimen Technician I in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Quest has excellent benefits. There is a very diverse workpool and I love that about the company.

Cons

Quest is not very family friendly. Very few sick days allowed and thats a little unrealistic for people with children. There are alot of 11 hous days with mandatory overtime. If you have a chronically ill child or relative that you have FMLA for, you can forget about advancing within the company or transfering to another dept. They say that does not go against you, but it definitly does!! My advice to anyone looking at this company for employment would be to keep looking. You can find a better paying, more family friendly job somewhere else.

Advice to Management

You expect us to work harder and harder for less pay by raising the stats and taking away the PFP. This company seems to be getting worse and worse the longer I stay here. Comunication between supervisors is poor at best. Take a look at your mid-year employee satisfaction surveys and really listen to what people are saying. Mabye then the turnover rate would not be so high.

"good emloyees - bad management"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician II (MLT) in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician II (MLT) in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

there is no best reason to work at Quest Diagnostics - other than a paycheck. I cannot think of any thing that makes working for quest a treat

Cons

the company does not reward its employees, many are underpaid than their counterpart in other labs. Its medical dental insurance is way below average - very poor morale among employees. no advancement oppurtunities and the merit raises are disgusting and insult to the human being. Many people languish in the same position for years and are never offered advancement. When you apply for internal transfer, they dont even bother calling back or even acknowledge that they have recieved your transfer application

Advice to Management

the mantra should be "satisfied employees translates into satisfied customers" AND PATIENT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON TO COME TO WORK according to Surya

"The "Q" in Quest does NOT stand for quality"

Current Employee - Interoffice Phlebotomist in Pgh Int ArPort, PA
    Current Employee - Interoffice Phlebotomist in Pgh Int ArPort, PA

Pros

I could never find another job in my position that pays as well as they do, however, that keeps me hanging on when I want to quit. They are very popular.

Cons

Management is incompetent, no work/life balance, work overload overload. I hear when I make a mistake from dozens of management, and no one ever pats me on the back for doing a job well done. I feel as if I cannot express my self to management as it will be held against me. They work us to death, when I come home from work, I feel like I have been fro 12 hrs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

5. "All work and no play the new Quest logo"

Current Employee - In the Testing Area in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - In the Testing Area in Houston, TX

Pros

The pay is generally OK. Company benefits are OK with plenty.of TOP(time off with pay)

Cons

They work you like slavery is legal. I have been in the laboratory field for well over 35 years and Quest is where I have worked the hardest, I am so very tired after working more than my 8 hrs. The pay is OK but who has the energy to go out and spend it. And management is a complete joke. have the managers at Quest cannot do my job, nor would they try. I have worked for a lot of booksmart people but thaat is all they are, they have no concept of the real workplace.

Advice to Management

At least try to make me feel you are listening when we tell you how to fix A,B or C.

"Lais sez-faire or lazy, unfair as I prefer to call it."

Former Employee - Technologist I in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Technologist I in Wood Dale, IL

Pros

Benefits and pay are adequate at best.

Cons

Favoritism is a serious problem at Quest. Promotions are not based on work performance. Several employees are working in technical positions for which they are not qualified to perform. Management is very unconcerned about anything but their own paycheck.

Advice to Management

Become more engaged and actually manage your employees.

""in human" resources Iin Auburn Hills MI"

Current Employee - Client Service
    Current Employee - Client Service

Pros

I like the people I work with, we're the ones that are actually doing the work. TOP time and
    blueprint for wellness.

Cons

Human resources has a couple coniving people that play GOD with employees lives.
    They have their favorites and since they are the keeper of secrets they can make a decision
    about your pay or getting a position without you knowing there was a complaint, they don't
    have to disclose if nothing can be proved, but word gets around from all the nasty gossip
    and rumors.

Advice to Management

Make a "no gossip policy" then fire the first five people caught doing it. That will end that.
    But maybe not since management are the main gossips.

8. "Behind the times, disorganized"

Former Employee - Billing Coordinator in Teterboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Billing Coordinator in Teterboro, NJ

Pros

Benefits and 401k above average. This is why many employees stay. The stock match program was the best part of the job.

Cons

They seem to hire based on continuing diversity opposed to actual skills. Middle management and team leaders were not efficient workers or outside the box thinkers. Company is focused on micromanaging and very strict about hours and non-work life balance.

Advice to Management

More work life balance is needed to make this a better place to work. Feels too micromanged. Need to insitiute flextime and other arrangements.

"Not so nice"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Its a job, thats about it.

Cons

They run the business chronically under staffed. We work double the way we should. If quality was really a goal, then we would have enough workers. If you make a mistake you hear about 100 times from 5 different people. I never see my superviser and the only time I DO hear from them is when i mess up.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make happy customers...and we are NOT happy.

"Employees are disposable and undervalued. Treated as a number not a person."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hills, CA

Pros

Fellow employees and staff are what make you stay. Pay is fair, but not the best. Benefits are all right. Only 5 paid Holidays a year.

Cons

They preach People, Patients, and Growth, half of what is taught by HR contradicts what is being seen by staff from management. Management leads by fear, micro-management, and very little compassion and people skills. I have heard unbelievable things said to employees. Staff is afraid to go to HR with things that are said or done. Even HR is full of fear.

Advice to Management

Take a look at who you are hiring for management. Do you like them? Respect them? Would you follow them? Or are you hiring them to make "numbers"? Respect your employees and they will work for you because they respect you, not because they fear you and are afraid that they will lose there only source of income. Numbers don't make the company, people do.

Showing 1,605 of 1,682 reviews