Questex Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Kerry C. Gumas

1. "Working at Questex"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Auburndale, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Auburndale, MA

I worked at Questex Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People, great vibe, great work and life balance, and great experiences.

Cons

Not too much to do sometimes, small company, and no room for advancement.

2. "Poor Leadership and Lack of Professionalism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Questex Media (More than a year)

Pros

Very few at all but you will find some genuine and kind people working here, with which you will be able to commiserate on how under-appreciated, underpaid, and poorly managed this place is across all departments.

Cons

This is the most unprofessional, disorganized, and poorly managed company I have encountered in my career. The upper management is less diverse than a Wall Street bank, and are completely out of touch and lacking in leadership. Your supervisor will depend upon your department but the majority of them display their inexperience and immaturity regularly, and have no tact or ability to manage or motivate others. The battle cry of Questex is the "blame game", always asking who is at fault while offering no real solutions or recommendations. You will encounter differing treatment depending on whether you are well-liked by particular people, and this political nonsense transcends all aspects of your role and hopeless advancement. The salaries are well below market averages and the benefits are quite minimal, with no matching 401k. If you are expecting the stated bonuses or commissions for your position, you are better off trying to make extra money on Ebay or Etsy. The turnover rate is the highest I have ever seen, as people regularly leave for better positions after a short time, and those that don't will get laid off when they "clean house" on an annual basis.

There are thousands of better companies in New York, and you will be doing yourself and your career a disservice by working here. The company name is unknown across industries, and it would be more beneficial to take your skills and personality to a company that will appreciate you, mentor and teach you, and give you an opportunity to learn and grow. While it's true that they have invested in new products, their methods and technology are still archaic, and the staff suffers for these oversights. If only they invested in people the way they view other assets, but in the meantime it keeps the morale low in the office. As long as they can continue to use low salaries to attract young individuals ignorant of how a business should operate, no real change will occur.

Advice to Management

Stop treating symptoms instead of problems. Invest in and grow your employees and culture. Realize that your employees are your greatest asset and reward and value them as such.

"Good Work Environment"

Current Employee - Group Director in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Group Director in Southington, CT

I have been working at Questex Media (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Open and friendly co-workers.

Cons

They do not match 401k. Workload can be daunting at times.

"Okay, but don't like the cubicle world"

Pros

Nice People, Helpful IT dept., pays better then most publishing

Cons

Beige office, Loud talkers, Office Ice cold!

"B2B event and media company - great for self-starters wanting to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Questex Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Over the last 6-12 months the company has been investing in a new digital product platform and expanding its digital advertising opportunities as well as expanding its events. They have brought on new leadership from leading media companies to move the company forward. Great to see this investment in the company's future.

Cons

If you aren't a self starter with initiative, this may not be the place for you. The managers do not tend to micro-manage but do set goals and expect you to do your job and manage your time. Corporate communication could also be improved.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in leadership and bringing in new talent that is motivated and innovative.

"Changing Tide"

Pros

Questex used to be so behind the times but now the technology needed to provide impactful solutions is quickly catching up. Several new digital positions have been added at the most senior level and their impact is being felt in a very short-time frame.

Cons

The legacy of print remains in several pockets of the business and some groups give too much control to management who enlist old-school business tactics that are no longer effective. Also, Questex needs to reward employees for their efforts on a faster cycle that they have been in the past.

Advice to Management

Continue to cut management that are dead weight. A number ofl senior managers who were empty suits have been shown the door and this trend needs to continue. Finding, fostering, and retaining talent can be a point of emphasis now that technology is no longer an issue.

"Unreliable Company"

I worked at Questex Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My role was very independent, there was no micromanagement.

Cons

Questex has hired me and promised to sponsor my H1b. The company didn't stay up to its work and terminated my employment 3 weeks before the visa was due. Explanation? Business decision. The worst part was that the person who has hired me didn't even call, send a note, give any explanation. And just a few days before he was smiling at me and saying great job. My boss didn't come in person as well, she was on the phone, while HR let me know that I no longer work there.

Advice to Management

There is nothing more important than loyalty. I was a loyal employee and was promoting the company and convincing companies to trust you. There are definitely management issues, when the position is reconsidered after 3 months.

"Great Suite of Products, Horrible Technology"

Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Work remotely is a real possibility, great life-work balance, stable no-stress position. Diversity of products will help it keep steady income.

Cons

Drupal-shop. Very poor work culture of cubicles.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on a Drupal and invest in an employee culture.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Questex Media (More than a year)

Pros

The level of incompetence at this company is beyond comprehension that it's comical. This is the only pro.

Cons

So many, basically the entire company and everyone in it. It was the biggest joke from the CEO down to associates. Actually, associate level there were only 2 people I could say were somewhat useful. The level of incompetence, lack of knowledge and awareness was horrifying. Working here was the biggest disservice I did to my professional career. Also, when you leave here, you will realize no one knows this company or the magazines.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time playing the blame game and having the end result being overworking your employees when it's clearly not the problem. Instead it would be very useful if they were to actually produce solutions, any kind at all. The ones that seem like they know something, are just very good talkers- ask them to 'show you' or prove that they know what they are doing by producing absolutely anything outside of convoluted responses- that's when you will really see the level of uselessness. However, I do admire the consistent delusion and ignorance of management. Ignorance is bliss.

"Sales/Editorial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Questex Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can come and go whenever you want.

Cons

This place is pathetic. It used to be a decent company with different leadership, but now it has turned into a joke with new people who took over. They lay off people for no reason at all. Future and current employees, beware of getting unfairly fired, no matter how hard of a worker you are. My boss would actuallly make fun of our appearance and then talk about each of us to other teammates behind our backs. You always found out. What's worse, the boss blabbed all week long about firing someone before it actually happened to the so-called person (behing their back, again)—such a terrible thing to witness and a truly awkward situation to be part of. Bully behavior at its best.

Advice to Management

Hire real leaders who know how to respect other human beings.