Questex Reviews | Glassdoor

Questex Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

2.8
Questex CEO Paul Miller  (no image)
Paul Miller

"Changing Tide"

I have been working at Questex

Pros

Questex used to be so behind the times but now the technology needed to provide impactful solutions is quickly catching up. Several new digital positions have been added at the most senior level and their impact is being felt in a very short-time frame.

Cons

The legacy of print remains in several pockets of the business and some groups give too much control to management who enlist old-school business tactics that are no longer effective. Also, Questex needs to reward employees for their efforts on a faster cycle that they have been in the past.

Advice to Management

Continue to cut management that are dead weight. A number ofl senior managers who were empty suits have been shown the door and this trend needs to continue. Finding, fostering, and retaining talent can be a point of emphasis now that technology is no longer an issue.

Questex2016-02-25

"Unreliable Company"

I worked at Questex full-time for less than a year

Pros

My role was very independent, there was no micromanagement.

Cons

Questex has hired me and promised to sponsor my H1b. The company didn't stay up to its work and terminated my employment 3 weeks before the visa was due. Explanation? Business decision. The worst part was that the person who has hired me didn't even call, send a note, give any explanation. And just a few days before he was smiling at me and saying great job. My boss didn't come in person as well, she was on the... phone, while HR let me know that I no longer work there.

Advice to Management

There is nothing more important than loyalty. I was a loyal employee and was promoting the company and convincing companies to trust you. There are definitely management issues, when the position is reconsidered after 3 months.

Questex2016-03-16

"Great Suite of Products, Horrible Technology"

Digital Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Questex

Pros

Work remotely is a real possibility, great life-work balance, stable no-stress position. Diversity of products will help it keep steady income.

Cons

Drupal-shop. Very poor work culture of cubicles.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on a Drupal and invest in an employee culture.

Questex2015-12-14

"Manager"

Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Questex for more than a year

Pros

The level of incompetence at this company is beyond comprehension that it's comical. This is the only pro.

Cons

So many, basically the entire company and everyone in it. It was the biggest joke from the CEO down to associates. Actually, associate level there were only 2 people I could say were somewhat useful. The level of incompetence, lack of knowledge and awareness was horrifying. Working here was the biggest disservice I did to my professional career. Also, when you leave here, you will realize no one knows this company... or the magazines.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time playing the blame game and having the end result being overworking your employees when it's clearly not the problem. Instead it would be very useful if they were to actually produce solutions, any kind at all. The ones that seem like they know something, are just very good talkers- ask them to 'show you' or prove that they know what they are doing by producing absolutely anything outside of... convoluted responses- that's when you will really see the level of uselessness. However, I do admire the consistent delusion and ignorance of management. Ignorance is bliss.

Questex2015-12-03

"Sales/Editorial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Questex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can come and go whenever you want.

Cons

This place is pathetic. It used to be a decent company with different leadership, but now it has turned into a joke with new people who took over. They lay off people for no reason at all. Future and current employees, beware of getting unfairly fired, no matter how hard of a worker you are. My boss would actuallly make fun of our appearance and then talk about each of us to other teammates behind our backs. You... always found out. What's worse, the boss blabbed all week long about firing someone before it actually happened to the so-called person (behing their back, again)—such a terrible thing to witness and a truly awkward situation to be part of. Bully behavior at its best.

Advice to Management

Hire real leaders who know how to respect other human beings.

Questex2015-10-20

"Director Hospitality Solutions"

Current Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Questex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance and the people you get to work with are great. Travel is nice and the company is innovative

Cons

Saturated marketplace. You really need to build and have a network of relationships in order for it to work. Highly stressful

Questex2015-09-09

"Lots of Flexibility but Leadership is Lacking"

I have been working at Questex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fine for resourceful self-starters who desire some level of autonomy.

Cons

Leadership is sorely lacking.

Questex2015-06-30

"Questex Media has great potential, but didn't have the proper upperlevel leadership that I expected."

Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Questex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The freedom of working from home was the best part of the job.

Cons

It lacked upper level leadership and consistency.

Advice to Management

The company is good but so many little details need to be consistent across all divisions and all division leaders to be a great company. I feel that people turn their heads from ongoing issues just so they do not have to deal with them. Not the way a major corporation should be running.

Questex2014-05-06

"You determine your fate."

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Questex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Little supervision and therefore much autonomy. Flexible schedule/work locations.

Cons

If you have ideas outside of the management, you won't last long. Tow the party line if you want to last.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Honestly incorporate and consider input of supervisors and staff.

Questex2014-04-03

"so-so"

I have been working at Questex

Pros

Great people. Can be very interesting.

Cons

Senior Management abuses those lower than them.

Questex2014-03-26