Questrade Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Questrade CEO Edward Kholodenko
Edward Kholodenko

Pros
Cons
  • low salary , limited growth opportunity (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay and slow promotion (in 4 reviews)

"Company going down hill"

Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Questrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, they hire about 10 new people every 3 months due to the high turnover.

Cons

Very low salary (less the industry average), limited benefits, no opportunity for advancement, every time a position opens the whole company applies to it.

Advice to Management

A great company retains its employees, a mediocre company has high turnover, no wonder you're losing clients

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Outreach and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your review. We do hire approximately 10 Client Services Specialists (CSS) every quarter because many of these agents quickly advance to other roles within the company. Our CSS agents ... More

"Mediocrity at its best..."

I have been working at Questrade full-time

Pros

Good way to enter the financial services field.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are well below the average. Company can't retain talent. Not a long term option for most people.

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Outreach and Social Media Specialist

We’d like to start off by saying thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to ensure our team is growing their careers at Questrade over the long haul. Our employees are our top priority, which is why ... More

"Client services"

Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

great colleagues, good learning experience out of school

Cons

Starting salaries both in sales and client services have been the same for the last 5 years. Any other competitors offer a better salary, which is why turn over is incredibly high. Once someone gets experience they can easily find another job with better benefits and pay. Constantly adding new products and responsibilities without receiving further compensation. Very limited growth as well, I have never seen so many supervisors in a company, beyond that there is no growth unless you are a friend of upper management.

Advice to Management

Pay fairly by increasing salary, improve not reduce commission structure, create incentives for employees to stick around (better benefits, RRSP contributions etc.)

May 12, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time you have taken to write this review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience with us was not as positive as we would hope. We’re proud of our ... More

"Client Service Specialist"

Pros

Good co-worker. Good location. Useful training sessions but thats only when you first join.

Cons

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!! management forces you to write good stuff on glassdoor. Call-center environment with NO leg room to stretch. HIGH-turn over rate because people are under-appreciated.
    low pay. They will just make you to sell accounts. Performance is only based on how you can "upsell" and "cross-sell" accounts when that's not actually your responsibility. SALES environment. Poorly managed. Have to deal with FRUSTRATED clients all the time due to poor management.

Apr 8, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we’re very sorry to hear that we weren’t able to meet your expectations as an employer. We always encourage employees to provide us with ... More

"A place to start, but terrible work environment. Most of the posts on this site are fabricated fyi."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Questrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-start working in finance
    -coworkers are awesome

Cons

-the work environment encourages and promotes people who care about themselves first
    -becoming more of a sales environment
    -terrible vacation time. management however fails to notice as they are themselves on vacation.
    -you really can just become a pawn who reports in, sells, then leaves. it sucks.

Advice to Management

care about your employees. like actually care, don't hide behind your work doesnt need to suck logo. turnover is an issue and you need to find ways to fix it.

"A meat factory"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Questrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A stepping stone to the financial industry
    Interesting coworkers
    Good location

Cons

Dealing with angry customers
    Poorly managed
    People fired left and right, brown-nosing helps

Advice to Management

You know you're doing something wrong. Change it.

"Below-average company with extremely poor management"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Questrade has been able to attract several talented people. It does this by paying somewhat decent salaries and promoting employees quickly (too quickly?) to their level of incompetence.

Cons

-Talent is wasted by managers that have never written a line of code in their lives.
    -Questrade is a financial services company that is new to software development.
    -Projects are rarely completed on time or on budget. Project management is completely ad hoc.
    -Technical teams often work on weekends without compensation or days in lieu.
    -QA teams are understaffed and see very high turnover.
    -Poor technical management. Key decision-makers and stakeholders are not technical people.
    -Managers are unable to assess the skills and abilities of the technical staff.
    -Surprisingly few opportunities to learn about the field of investing.
    -Issues with morale across the entire company.
    -Nepotism is prevalent across the company.
    -The company is unable to learn from past mistakes and continues to make the same ones, over and over again.

The last point is especially problematic. The company culture at Questrade is one that does not deal well with mistakes. Rather than accepting fault for a bad decision, managers seek out a scapegoat in order to protect themselves. This has the secondary effect of delaying important decisions for as long as possible.

The project I worked on has been in active development for over 4 years and was expected to launch 2 years ago. If one is moderately skilled at software development, they would do well to steer clear of Questrade. And for those, like myself, who made the honest mistake of joining the company--no doubt with the best of intentions--it's time to dust off those resumes and go work for a real software company. The feeling of wonder and excitement you will experience when you release working code to real customers is like no other.

Advice to Management

In order to succeed, the leadership at Questrade would have to step aside and appoint technical managers that have a history of delivering software to a large customer base.