Questus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jeff Rosenblum & Jordan Berg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ambitious agency with a big vision and great people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at Questus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Questus is an ambitious agency with a big vision and passionate leaders. Most of the accounts are major global brands and the work is top notch. The people make this place great, I count my co-workers at Questus as close friends. Company culture, compensation and benefits were great, and the company events were major highlights.

Cons

Like most agencies, work/life balance was challenging. It was also hard for employees working full-time out of the client's office to feel connected to the agency in SF/NY - these people worked in difficult circumstances and were often forgotten.

Advice to Management

Remember that the Questus family extends outside of SF/NY.

2. "Questus is a family, not just a workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Questus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First agency where my coworkers became my genuine friends who I enjoyed spending time with outside of the office or even on big projects that required weekend or late night work. Trust me this is very hard to find in the agency realm. The majority of people truly care about each other here, just depends how open you are and willing to connect.

Cons

Can be a little crazy at times with client demands and work can become a little repetitive but really depends on the client you are working on and what the ask is. However, this isn't anything new from any other agency to be honest, you just feel it a little more at a smaller agency.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your employees and encourage their success and interests by mixing teams up across accounts every year or two.

3. "Great People, Fun Environment"

Pros

People are great. Pay is good. NY office is excellent.

Cons

Long hours were not uncommon

"Great experience working in small teams on global accounts. Talented, super nice team, but CD is picky & controlling."

Former Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Questus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independent agency. Also, really nice, very skilled people. Partners seem nice but have a head-in-the-clouds perspective, and CD is controlling and not very supportive.

Cons

Long hours and you work with lots of freelancers over the phone and the employees in NYC.

Advice to Management

Hire a new CD.

"Great people, great benefits, competitive compensation"

Pros

Most team members are great, the benefits are incredible, and there are tons of fun office activities. The leadership team is aware of current shortcomings and making efforts to fix them.

Cons

Seems like the agency is still trying to find it's identity and build a cohesive company vision. You'll work some late nights/long hours, but I'd say work-life balance is average by agency standards.

Advice to Management

Continue monitoring employee satisfaction and making incremental improvements

"Reach for the stars at Questus!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Questus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Leaders are transparent and keep us informed about how the agency is doing by sharing financials, outlook, etc.
    -Stellar team - very smart people and they also happen to be really fun and compassionate
    -Able to grow within your role and beyond
    -Everyone's opinions/thoughts/suggestions are heard
    -Small agency, tight-knit family feel
    -Culture is very important and they're always looking for ways to keep it going strong or make it better

Cons

-small agency, so "wearing many hats" is a regular occurrence
    -the office can be a little too quite at times when everyone is heads-down
    -there aren't enough conference rooms

Advice to Management

Continue to share information about he health, direction and focus of the agency. Make decisions that support that focus and direction.

"Myth versus reality"

I worked at Questus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had written a positive review a while back, mostly to try and attract good people to come and work there. But I yanked it when I eventually realized that it didn't reflect reality. So after thinking long and hard about whether I should post another, I decided it was time.

Frankly, I can't think of many "pros." Except for the chance to work with a handful of good, dedicated people. However the hours are so bad and workflow so chaotic, that good feeling eventually wears off.

You might luck out and get a supervisor who cares about the work, and who really tries and wants to keep the team motivated and inspired. I did, for a brief time. But this couldn't make up for all the other serious issues at Questus. That said, I would work for this person again in a heartbeat. Just not at this agency.

If you are junior level it could be a good opportunity b/c you will get thrown into the deep end and pretty much have to swim, or be dragged down and drowned by the wreck of a project you're assigned to. In other words, you will have to learn how to manage up, how to prioritize, how to not lose your cool. Good skills to learn. You will not be expected to think, however. Just do.

Another "pro" is that my experience, as negative as it was, actually helped me strengthen myself professionally, regain my confidence in my abilities, and realize better career opportunities. I have firmer expectations of myself and prospective employers, and a better idea of what I will and will not tolerate.

Cons

Yes, It's agency life. Occasional long hours, crazy deadlines, difficult clients... That comes with the territory. Everyone knows that. But this is not a place to be challenged or respected professionally. You will expected to take what's given you, not contribute (although there's a lot of lip service to the contrary), and then be given neither the time, resources or positive direction to get the work done. You will be in effect overworked and underutilized.

The company has a fundamental problem in the form of major duds at the senior level who not only were difficult to work with, but who in my opinion undermined good work. Frankly, it boggled the mind how one in particular was ever given a leadership role.

Morale is low, people are miserable, but I believe most aren't comfortable with expressing their dissatisfaction. Why? You will likely be given a whitewash of what's going on, sold a bill of goods how things are going to be better, and then whatever you said will be pretty much ignored. And it's back to business as usual. Rinse, repeat.

Advice to Management

Put your words into action. You obviously plenty to say in all the articles you publish and talks you attend. Seriously evaluate why you are in this business and hold yourselves as well as senior people accountable. It's not a game, or a party, or a hobby. It's a job, and more than that, a career for many of us.

Ease up on the sloganeering, the rah-rahs and motivational cliches. If you truly care, if you truly believe all the rhetoric we had to listen to, then you need to listen, too. Take an unflinching look at why people are not happy, and have the integrity and honesty to see your parts in it. Everyone is accountable, not just the ones who can conveniently be thrown under the bus when things go bad.

Most of us have been in this business (and actually more successful at it) longer than you're willing to acknowledge. Questus is really another stop (for some, a big pothole) in our careers. If you – partner, SVP, Director or whatever – are not completely honest with the state of things, and your part in it, then don't be surprised when there's no one left to hear to you go on about your "advertising revolution."

"A Very Difficult Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Questus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people at the lower and mid levels who want to produce great work and bring this company's vision to light.

Cons

They need to do a better job of living/working the values that they preach. There's a massive disconnect between what they pitch to perspective employees and to what actually goes on day to day.

There are serious levels of disorganization at the management levels which cause employee morale to greatly suffer and employees to have to work harder (but not necessarily smarter) than they should need to.

The creative director is often at odds with what the client wants, causing a rift and confusion for the team. He is also often a bottleneck for work and has very specific taste in the work he sees that doesn't always meet client asks.

There are too many levels of dyadic relationships within the company which causes a lot of "he said, she said." Managers make promises to clients at the expense of their employees' weekends and evenings without ever consulting the employees ahead of time. At the same time, meetings run longer than they should and often incorporate members of the team who are part of the project, but have no specific involvement in the meeting when their time could be better spent doing work to meet the incredibly tight deadlines that this company adheres to.

The pay is on the + level and the company has great vacation time and more holidays than any place I've ever worked, but when your weeks are consistently never less than 45-50 hours and often more, it basically makes you pay for that vacation time in work time spent at other portions of the year.

The company heads desperately want to lead an "advertising revolution," they just aren't sure how to get there yet, which is completely fine, but it often comes at the expense and morale of their employees.

I can't recommend this company to anyone so long as the culture remains as it is. There are good people here, they just need to be much better organized and better utilized.

"Fun, interesting and welcoming place to work."

Pros

Great people working in a fast paced environment. Never doing the same thing two days in a row. Collaboration and team work is key to success at Questus. Very young office.

Cons

Very small company with offices in San Francisco and New York. You will be asked to work outside your normal 9 to 5 hours if you work here.

"Chaotic"

Pros

You will have ample opportunities for blazing your own path, as there are little to no set procedures in place.

Cons

Management performs erratically and long term strategy sways with the wind.

Advice to Management

Improve steadiness of leadership.