Quidel Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Quidel President, CEO, and Director Doug Bryant
Doug Bryant

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Worst most hostile environment"

Current Employee - Packaging in Athens, OH
    Current Employee - Packaging in Athens, OH

I have been working at Quidel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vulgarity, crudeness, bullying, and back stabbing were the norm and encouraged by the supervisors

Cons

I was called vulgar names, lied to while training, degraded, and humiliated on a daily basis. I was told to watch out because the supervisor was looking for a way to fire me. It was the most hostile work environment I have ever experienced

Advice to Management

Your production will continue to suffer as long as you tolerate the dehumanizing way your employees are treated

"Hostile Work Environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Quidel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The newer corporate office is very nice, great portfolio of products, VP of Sales seems very dedicated to her team and down to earth.

Cons

Work with a lot of untrustworthy and unqualified individuals. Leader of commercial sales organization is out of touch with what it takes to motivate people and create a healthy sales org. Does not hire the right people to lead, many very unqualified individuals on a power high are leading the organization straight into the ground. Much talent is going down the drain because people continue to leave when they realize their managers do not know what they are doing. The way the company is being run in not sustainable long term. Recruiting will forever have jobs because of constant turnover. Much time in all departments is spent getting new people up to speed, only to do the same thing again in a few months when they leave. Definitely a boys club mentality and highly political. Be prepared to work 10x as hard if you are not a white male and do not expect anything in return.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have teams review their managers every once in a while-- not with HR, try an outside source that employees can trust. Even better, Doug Bryant should oversee this so the truth isn't twisted when given to him, may be a wake up call about what goes on in his company. Treat "the little people" with more respect, try to pretend they exist and pay a livable wage for San Diego living. Create career growth opportunities for all, find HR representatives with more experience besides a life term at Quidel.

"Worst Culture/Talent of Any Company I've Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Operations Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Operations Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Quidel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The finance team is organized. Salary is competitive in the San Diego market.

Cons

The culture at Quidel is toxic. Managers/Directors were vocal "Make America Great Again" supporters, making everyone uncomfortable on the team with no impact from HR when issues raised. I had been on conference calls where managers cursed out and insulted sales managers. Turnover is extremely high, causing data to be extremely disorganized and lots of knowledge transfer lost. Files coming from my manager/team were often hardcoded excel files with no assumptions provided. The IT infrastructure and data warehouse is broken to the point where reports cannot be trusted on a first pass. There was no sense of urgency of current problems and support was nonexistent from management to drive initiatives that would result in process and system improvements.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to establish company goals and communicate them. Not one time in my 8 months at Quidel had there been any internal communication from the CEO of how the company was performing or what the overall goals were of the company. Please look at middle management and ensure competency at those levels, specifically within Sales Operations and IT.

"Avoid If Possible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Quidel full-time

Pros

Smart Colleagues, Great Location, Benefits, Vacation & Sick Time.

Cons

Constant turnover, company values stuck in another decade, untrustworthy upper management, useless human resources department (what they do all day and why they have such a large team while other far more important business units are understaffed is a mystery around the office, but here at Quidel we ignore issues until they blow up in our face :-) Your work/life balance will depend heavily on what department you are in and if you boss has the good graces of someone important.

Advice to Management

Standards.Get Some.

5. "Not impressed."

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any pros. I guess I have a paycheck.

Cons

Everything is horrible here, honestly.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage in general.

"Horrible Culture"

Former Intern - Temporary Chemical Manufacturing Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Temporary Chemical Manufacturing Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Quidel as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This job taught me what I didn't want to do in life.

Cons

Temporary employees are disposable at Quidel. You are not valued and are not given proper training.

Advice to Management

Motivate your employees instead of discouraging them.

"Read this."

Pros

Decent benefits. Flexible work hours. If you just want to keep a low-profile and just earn a paycheck it's fine. Considerate of flexibility for people with kids.

Cons

Quidel is run on a good old boy system. From executive through middle-management. Unless you're in with the right group you will not be promoted or recognized. You have to know somebody to get promotions or good pay increases. People do not move up through excellent performance. Very incompetent people are in leadership positions because of who they know. HR is unprofessional and very harsh. Sometimes unbelievable. They are like bullies. Definitely not trustworthy. Because of all this there are true leaders and excellent performers in the background making things work daily but never get promoted or good pay increases. It's not a happy environment. But whoever said that HR was a group you could trust and that work is supposed to be a happy place.....

Advice to Management

Money is always the bottom line. You're all there to make money. And that's okay. But Someday you might stop and look deep within yourself and find out who you really are. Try it.

"Avoid working here"

Former Employee - Scientist in Athens, OH
    Former Employee - Scientist in Athens, OH

I worked at Quidel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice town to live in

Cons

Little prospect for advancement. The good jobs are held by young, incompetent legacy employees. They aren't leaving any time soon.
    Only job prospect in town except for really crappy jobs at the university
    Seriously inept management. R+D department destroyed by in-fighting and general incompetence
    Medical diagnostics is a dead end career. The skills that you gain don't translate to other industries.
    Very abusive management unrestrained by HR or upper management.

Advice to Management

Show some actual leadership and do the right thing for once. The right thing isn't always easy.

"Bad Place to work."

Former Employee - Process Group Chemist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Process Group Chemist in San Diego, CA

Pros

They hire all the time because there is frequent employee turnover based on the horrible culture.

Cons

Long hours with no overtime (salaried). Mid-Managers incompetent.

Advice to Management

Replace the mid-management.