Quidsi Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits,lots of free food, amazing cl workers, fun environment (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay (if you are lucky enough to get Amazon stock) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 6 reviews)

• Customer Care is expected to fix everything under the false pretense of "helping" other teams (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, a lot of visibility, chance to work across many roles and functions. You will learn a ton here if you are motivated and ambitious.

Cons

This is not the place for people who just want to coast or need coddling. You will need to learn your business and take ownership very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture and employee satisfaction. Even the little things count.

2. "Work Place"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Great work environment for employees.

Cons

Hard to move up corporate ladder

"Peer group is great, work could be more fulfilling"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+work alongside some of the smartest & nicest people (who are also funny!)
    +Amazon stock
    +flexible work schedule
    +opportunity for advancement
    +opportunity for movement inside Amazon
    +power to own your business
    +Amazon benefits

Cons

-systems and tools don't keep up with the business
    -constantly chasing deliverables and due dates
    -lack of long-term strategy, everything we do is in the now for right now
    -some of management and leadership don't have any valuable coaching or development skills to offer
    -don't get rid of the people they should but spend time weeding out some more junior folks
    -lack of accountability, ownership, and goal alignment across functional teams

Advice to Management

Stop living in the moment, offer a long-term strategy, communicate the how and when we get there, and track against it. Stop the churn and force your leaders to do the same. Stop just saying and start doing/enforcing. There are a lot of great, talented people at Quidsi who want to do the right thing for the business but are hindered by the red tape (that never used to exist), turf battles (created by silo's of the re-organization), lack of passion (due to lack of vision and how we continue to grow long-term). Give your "high potential" employees access to the right development by providing them impressive managers or fear continued lack of strategic vision and big picture thinking for many years to come.

Quidsi Response

Oct 10, 2016 – VP HR

We also think that Quidsians are some of the smartest and nicest people around! We appreciate your summary of some of our many perks and benefits – from career growth opportunities to happy hours to... More

4. "ju s t ok"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

not bad business model. Intelligent coworker. Good location. Good view.

Cons

poor engineering environment. Cr blocks the process of development. Ownership is the way everyone wants to be boss.

"good career starter, not for growth"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Quidsi is a great place for a first or second job. You can gain experience, make connections, get in the Amazon network. Lots of challenges and opportunities to fix things.

Cons

Not so good for growth. In the past year, restructuring, budget cuts, and directional shifts in an effort to turn the business around have left a wake of confusion and scramble. Tech is off limits, "systems" = excel, relationships between teams are tense. Star employees who have been with the company for years are jumping ship at a higher rate than usual and those that are still around are unhappy, frustrated, and looking for something else.

Quidsi Response

Oct 10, 2016 – VP HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We’re glad that you recognize Quidsi is a great place to gain experience. As a company that embraces big ideas and ownership over projects and... More

"culture is in the eye of the beholder"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time

Pros

- Guiding Principles and Amazon Leadership Principles: everyone seems truly to be on board with these and tries to embody them. This is great because it defines what the company culture, values and standards of expectations.
    - Teams are comprised of talented and experienced people, props to recruiting for setting the bar high.
    - Internal movement opportunities available, though you have to seek it to find it, they're there.
    - If you raise your voice with a well thought out and beneficial idea it will be heard.
    - Medical plans are good and affordable, free food is a nice surprise once in a while too.

Cons

- Negative outlook from employees who have been here for a while plays a toll on newer employees who don't know "what it was like before". I'm content with what it is now but others need to stop dwelling on the past and stop being brats about "perks" that were cut down. Morale is low because you're holding a grudge against privileges, not rights.

Advice to Management

Don't rely on the culture team and employee services to improve morale and the mood of the company because events and activities won't make me love my job more. They are fun and make Quidsi unique and I do see them as necessary but more personable department specific attention needs to come from the top down in order to be really trending in the transparent direction. Be more organic in this and less structured.

"Accelerating Company Growth. With Strong Work, Guarantees Career Development (and we have a ton of fun too!)"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Expanding presence inside and out of the AMZN marketplace driving growth and opportunities for willing employees to challenge themselves, make a real difference and get noticed. Innovation is still a prime focus as the company is, similarly, challenged to conceive a unique eCommerce offering for a parent company that invented the wheel. thats a really cool dynamic that quenches thirst of those with genuine intellectual curiosity and a yearn to, metaphorically speaking, build the engine, not just be a cog in the machine.

-Benefit from tools conceived by AMZN but also the creation of our own- its not a one-size-fits all platform. if you want to shine, you can- but don't expect to without extra effort (how is this not reality at any company these days?). to caveat, however, the smaller environment and collaborative atmosphere make it possible to create a path for achievement that one may lack in the churn/limited scope of roles at larger companies, esp in dev and the most critical areas to e-commerce.

-REALLY GREAT PEOPLE! Quidsi has nailed hiring the smartest folks and knowing who will win inside their culture. tons of fun, friends- haven't worked for a company where my team really felt "in it to win it," where i was truly excited to go out and cultivate new friendships with my coworkers. idk about most workplaces, but in past environments its felt like when 6pm hits, your colleagues are the last people you'd want to spend the night out with. total opposite here. (and i'm neither antisocial or shy from a good time!).

-One of the most complex and "peculiar" components of the AMZN family. How is that a pro? Quidsi isn't just a part of the machine, not simply a bolstering force back to the amazon.com landing page. It lives inside and out of Amazon, and wins in both spaces. Again, a cool dynamic that rewards talent that understands this crucial pivot.

Cons

-some micromanagement at times to attain amazons performance metrics across departments, when capacity does not exist to do so. sets up backfire situations that would be easily prevented otherwise. Quidsi is not amazon, it wont be, and it should not be attempting such a thing. It is the basis of our integration to be set apart. To be more of a partner/internal innovator than simply a vertical--we need to focus on making this happen. inherently contradictory that some managers miss this crucial difference. Lets take off such blindfolds and complete our true vision for what this company is/does/means (both independently and to our parent).

-to further previous point, this demands a lack of quality vs favoring quantity; which is a misery noticed by several areas inside the company, impacting hours and morale. impacts partnerships across businesses. certainly not unrecoverable, but requires change.

Advice to Management

Hone in on middle level management that are collecting paychecks, passing the buck/blame (if something fails) to their team and not accepting full ownership for their role and driving development. "Cut the fat!" Surely, this is a problem at near every major corporation- but we are not that. We're striving to maintain a start up type, innovative environment, and all this is a waste to the firm. We have a unique opportunity RIGHT NOW to promote the best talent upwards, because they're the ones truly quarterbacking our increased growth, while at times suffering from lack of credit. As AMZN says- Lets make the Right Things Happen. I love this company and want this concept driven stronger.

Reinvent a sometimes myopic focus on modern mom. we arent targeting a broad enough demo--pet owners arent always parents: they can be (and often are) single men or women who want to simplify. Soap is a fantastic solution for career oriented and time constrained young adults in delivery-centric metro areas, etc. Sure, Diapers started it all and I saw it happen myself. but if we want to live beyond marketplace, we need to be more inclusive about who we target.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of pros to working at Quidsi. We are empowered to be creative and lead large projects. Work/life balance is encouraged and supported. As a single mom, what I value the most is the flexibility to adjust my schedule, work from home, or take time off to meet my personal needs. My manager supports my career growth and is also my mentor. The views are breathtaking. Benefits and salary are among the best in the region - highly competitive.

Cons

There have been many changes at the company - some good, some not so good. However, our leaders are very open and communicate business updates weekly. I'm excited about the future of the company and I'm honored to be part of a company that truly cares about doing the right things for our internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, listen to our feedback, and taking action. It's paying off.

"Happy to be here"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+Challenging work
    +Motivating leaders
    +Smart co-workers
    +Work / Life balance
    +Plenty of perks (food, happy hours, snacks, games, gym, etc)

Cons

-Bad attitude from co-workers of the "old school" Quidsi.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent

"Dynamic work environment is a nice way to say change happens"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Upbeat and relaxed atmosphere
    - Engaged management
    - Lots of opportunity for advancement at the lower end of the spectrum
    - Excellent work life balance

Cons

- Lacking opportunity for higher positions. Every director or highly placed roles seems filled from an external source or the Amazon mothership
    - Very demanding workload vs pay
    - Bonuses are Amazon RSU's so you had better stick around to cash them in

Advice to Management

Look inward for more hiring roles. Most of the other complaints are just the nature of the game for a company once it matures past the startup years.