Quidsi Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Pros
  • Great benefits,lots of free food, amazing cl workers, fun environment (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay (if you are lucky enough to get Amazon stock) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 6 reviews)

• Customer Care is expected to fix everything under the false pretense of "helping" other teams (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, a lot of visibility, chance to work across many roles and functions. You will learn a ton here if you are motivated and ambitious.

Cons

This is not the place for people who just want to coast or need coddling. You will need to learn your business and take ownership very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture and employee satisfaction. Even the little things count.

"Peer group is great, work could be more fulfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+work alongside some of the smartest & nicest people (who are also funny!)
    +Amazon stock
    +flexible work schedule
    +opportunity for advancement
    +opportunity for movement inside Amazon
    +power to own your business
    +Amazon benefits

Cons

-systems and tools don't keep up with the business
    -constantly chasing deliverables and due dates
    -lack of long-term strategy, everything we do is in the now for right now
    -some of management and leadership don't have any valuable coaching or development skills to offer
    -don't get rid of the people they should but spend time weeding out some more junior folks
    -lack of accountability, ownership, and goal alignment across functional teams

Advice to Management

Stop living in the moment, offer a long-term strategy, communicate the how and when we get there, and track against it. Stop the churn and force your leaders to do the same. Stop just saying and start doing/enforcing. There are a lot of great, talented people at Quidsi who want to do the right thing for the business but are hindered by the red tape (that never used to exist), turf battles (created by silo's of the re-organization), lack of passion (due to lack of vision and how we continue to grow long-term). Give your "high potential" employees access to the right development by providing them impressive managers or fear continued lack of strategic vision and big picture thinking for many years to come.

Oct 10, 2016 – VP HR

We also think that Quidsians are some of the smartest and nicest people around! We appreciate your summary of some of our many perks and benefits – from career growth opportunities to happy hours to ... More

3. "ju s t ok"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

not bad business model. Intelligent coworker. Good location. Good view.

Cons

poor engineering environment. Cr blocks the process of development. Ownership is the way everyone wants to be boss.

"Dynamic work environment is a nice way to say change happens"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Upbeat and relaxed atmosphere
    - Engaged management
    - Lots of opportunity for advancement at the lower end of the spectrum
    - Excellent work life balance

Cons

- Lacking opportunity for higher positions. Every director or highly placed roles seems filled from an external source or the Amazon mothership
    - Very demanding workload vs pay
    - Bonuses are Amazon RSU's so you had better stick around to cash them in

Advice to Management

Look inward for more hiring roles. Most of the other complaints are just the nature of the game for a company once it matures past the startup years.

"Empowered to make an impact"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by talented colleagues, you are empowered to do the right things and make impacts.

Chance to learn a lot of new technology; Access to Amazon tools and systems; Adopt modern software development life cycle best practices; Still startup atmosphere; Good work life balance.

Directly interacting with business users; Goal is clear and you can work towards it.

Well defined career path; Options to stay technical or move to management. Unlimited opportunities inside Amazon family.

Cons

There are still old systems developed by outsourcing company before Amazon acquire Quidsi. Those systems are very dis-organized and require a lot of attention. These problems are being addressed now and tech is empowered to fix them or rewrite them.

Not enough tech resources, recruiting is very slow.

Advice to Management

Invest time to pay off tech debts. Trust technology and use them to replace tactical, manual work. Fix the recruiting!

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! You are certainly correct that Quidsians are extremely talented and innovative. Integration with Amazon has also created an incredible opportunity for ... More

"Company in transition"

Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Irvington, NJ
    Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Irvington, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi (More than a year)

Pros

Your opinion on how to handle a call is valued and truly considered.
    Easily accessible by Path train.

Cons

Parking is difficult and expensive. Public transportation is your best alternative.

"A Positive Work Environment even During a Time of Difficult Changes"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of people here remember what Quidsi used to be, but I'm only looking at where the company is going. Sure, there used to be more free food, free parking, more activities to enjoy, and you could do things like ride a scooter and race around on a regular basis. But the fact is we needed to make changes and those changes included taking some of those expensive luxuries away. I would rather do without free food and free parking and know that I'm working in a place where my job is secure and my company is going in a better direction. Even though morale fell significantly over these last few months, I feel it is slowly building up and people are starting to see things more positively again. And no one ever said those luxuries were things we could never obtain again--we just needed to make better decisions and you know what? It's working! We are heading towards a much better direction than we were even just a few months ago. I am confident that Quidsi will continue to grow and flourish under the Amazon umbrella.

Cons

Some people are still holding onto the days before Amazon purchased us-- It's time to get with the program and see the company for what it is NOW. We are not a little start-up diapers company anymore and there are more important things than free snacks and coffee. It's time to embrace the Amazon umbrella and be grateful for the opportunities we've been given since the acquisition. The negative people still here are living in the past and can really bring down morale. There are also lots of people here who feel that tenure should lead to promotions and raises. While tenure does play a role in promotional decisions, just because you have longevity with the company does not mean you are a good employee. Lots of people just skate by and expect the prize to fall in their laps. Those people will also get in your way and bring you down if you let them.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job turning this company back around and although people are full of complaints you handle it with dignity. My hat goes off to Leadership.

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Quidsi has definitely undergone some changes since our inception in 2005! Like most companies, Quidsi has had to adapt and grow with the times. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the ... More

"Intelligent, passionate and kind people"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Coworkers are smart. People care a lot about achieving results and having fun. You feel like you can make a difference at every level of the company.

Cons

Located in Jersey City, NJ.

"lost culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time

Pros

The people, location is close to public transportation, the view.

Cons

Losing its idenrity, low morale, leadership is out of touch

"Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities
    Super easy commute from World Trade Center
    Autonomy with internal projects
    I was a customer for years prior to joining. Every interaction with the customer care team has been amazing, which was the big reason I decided to join.
    The Employee Services team comes up with the most creative ideas to ensure we are all taken care of - from cinco de mayo to subsidized music lessons to take your kids to work day, they go above and beyond to ensure everyone is happy
    General development opportunities - SDE bootcamp, Ted talks Fridays, internal development courses, etc.

Cons

Your responsible for bringing yourself up to speed and figuring out where to go for info. This is the flip side to having an autonomous work environment.

Advice to Management

None - everyone is doing a great job. All hands meetings ensure visibility into company wide goals.