Quidsi Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Pros
  • Work/life balance is encouraged and supported (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits,lots of free food, amazing cl workers, fun environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 6 reviews)

• Customer Care is expected to fix everything under the false pretense of "helping" other teams (in 10 reviews)

"Learn and don't be shy."

Former Employee - Marketing in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaging work environment, highly achieving coworkers, great office amenities. You'll also find many opportunities to shine, so don't be shy or hold back your ideas. Managers need you to be on your game. Aim to excel in what you know.

The work you do for Quidsi is work you do for Amazon. You can learn so much from industry leaders—real leaders who have effective experience in the e-commerce playing field. Take advantage of that.

Cons

The company is very much a place for business-minded and experienced professionals. Expect a lot of MBAs and finance folks. Extremely competitive personalities. So, culturally, as a more creative person, you may struggle to feel like you fit in.

"Peer group is great, work could be more fulfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+work alongside some of the smartest & nicest people (who are also funny!)
    +Amazon stock
    +flexible work schedule
    +opportunity for advancement
    +opportunity for movement inside Amazon
    +power to own your business
    +Amazon benefits

Cons

-systems and tools don't keep up with the business
    -constantly chasing deliverables and due dates
    -lack of long-term strategy, everything we do is in the now for right now
    -some of management and leadership don't have any valuable coaching or development skills to offer
    -don't get rid of the people they should but spend time weeding out some more junior folks
    -lack of accountability, ownership, and goal alignment across functional teams

Advice to Management

Stop living in the moment, offer a long-term strategy, communicate the how and when we get there, and track against it. Stop the churn and force your leaders to do the same. Stop just saying and start doing/enforcing. There are a lot of great, talented people at Quidsi who want to do the right thing for the business but are hindered by the red tape (that never used to exist), turf battles (created by silo's of the re-organization), lack of passion (due to lack of vision and how we continue to grow long-term). Give your "high potential" employees access to the right development by providing them impressive managers or fear continued lack of strategic vision and big picture thinking for many years to come.

Quidsi Response

Oct 10, 2016 – VP HR

We also think that Quidsians are some of the smartest and nicest people around! We appreciate your summary of some of our many perks and benefits – from career growth opportunities to happy hours to ... More

"Associate Director"

I worked at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Amazing people, collaborative, highly positive environment. Simply some of the best people I have ever worked with - many who have gone on to found their own businesses. They have the right combination of smarts, creativity and drive.

Cons

Integration with Amazon stumbled at times, going through a tough transition period. Many of the senior managers left, and the company was in transition from high-growth startup to midsize growing company - and along with that came some growth pains.

Advice to Management

Sometimes teams can be too silo-ed, making for friction and/or poor communication between teams. Make sure that the new hires match the current direction of the company.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY

I worked at Quidsi (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun work culture. A great mix of smart, driven, and kind. Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

A little under the shadow of Amazon. Some challenges with integration and limited marketing budgets. Some challenges with re-orgs.

Advice to Management

Figure out a clear strategy. Figure out what works, what doesn't. Figure out how to tap into internal innovation.

"Customer care Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Great benefits,lots of free food, amazing cl workers, fun environment

Cons

Micro management, racism when it comes to promotion. If you are black or Hispanic forget moving up. You will interview for corporate jobs but although you are qualified if you are not a white male or female forget it. A degree does not matter neither does your experience, only your skin color or who you socialize with will slow you go move up with this company.

Advice to Management

You preach promote from within but yet only whites get promoted. To save face you hire blacks and Hispanics with degrees and experience but they will never get promoted to something of value. Fix that

Quidsi Response

Mar 8, 2016 – VP Customer Care

While we appreciate your perspective and are truly sorry you felt this way while here at Quidsi, this is simply not true. Over the past twelve months, a significant portion of our diverse population ... More

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

PTO
    Good Hours
    Interesting work
    Competitive compensation

Cons

Competitive business
    Technical limitations
    Have to commute from the city

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing co-workers, company parties, Paid Time Off and good benefits.

Cons

Poor Management, morale has decreased significantly. Company ended up outsourcing to the Philippines, so many of us were forced into part time or forced to resign.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent!

"Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Bronx, NY

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers and company parties.

Cons

Micromanagement, rules constantly changing or being made up as you go.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees.

"Dynamic work environment is a nice way to say change happens"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Upbeat and relaxed atmosphere
    - Engaged management
    - Lots of opportunity for advancement at the lower end of the spectrum
    - Excellent work life balance

Cons

- Lacking opportunity for higher positions. Every director or highly placed roles seems filled from an external source or the Amazon mothership
    - Very demanding workload vs pay
    - Bonuses are Amazon RSU's so you had better stick around to cash them in

Advice to Management

Look inward for more hiring roles. Most of the other complaints are just the nature of the game for a company once it matures past the startup years.

"Nice place to work"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on your dept. it can be a relaxed place to work. I never felt rushed or overworked. I freelanced so it's a nice name to put on your resume, but if you're a graphic designer the work you pump out usually isn't something you'll put in your portfolio as a standout. Everyone one the creative team was nice. It got weird towards the end. More on that in the cons but all in all nice place to work. Oh! Also, (the best thing in my opinion) it was located directly across from the Exchange place path station. Perfect!

Cons

I actually didn't feel that busy. For some this may not be a con but for me it is because I'm not too keen on a load of down time. My job could have easily been PT, but that may also be because I wasn't required to go to the boat load of meetings though. The second con concerns how they treat freelancers. That was my first freelance gig and I've come to realize it's not the norm to treat freelancers like outsiders. At first, it was fine, but then we found out (through a broad email sent) that we weren't allowed to eat the free snacks (use the vending instead) or participate in any events that previously our supervisors had invited us to. It's not that we weren't allowed to participate that was the problem. The problem moreso had to do with how it was handled. Sending an email that everyone could see months after freelancers started working there is messy especially since no one ever told us this rule. Awkward. Lol.

Advice to Management

None