Quidsi Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • No dress code, free snacks in the break room, towards the end they offered a happy hour on Thursdays with beer (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay (if you are lucky enough to get Amazon stock) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer Care is expected to fix everything under the false pretense of "helping" other teams (in 10 reviews)

• No one has any any documentation or real training materials (in 9 reviews)

1. "Customer Care Representative"

I worked at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Great culture, company cared about their employees

Cons

Some of the scheduling rotations became an issue but it is what it is.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, a lot of visibility, chance to work across many roles and functions. You will learn a ton here if you are motivated and ambitious.

Cons

This is not the place for people who just want to coast or need coddling. You will need to learn your business and take ownership very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture and employee satisfaction. Even the little things count.

"The Chocolate Factory of Call Centers"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Where do I begin?Great attitudes from all departments and personnel, free food (including fruit for us health nuts), and even a special event they hold one day a week for employees! (I don't want to give away any spoilers). They have a recreational area complete with video game systems, pool tables, and even work out equipment. Speaking of workout equipment, not only do they have their own personal workout area but you also get a free pass a really upscale gym around the corner. The training was awesome and I really hope to one day go back to work for the company. If you've been in customer service for years like I have, this company makes you feel like all that hard work finally paid off.

Cons

The only cons that comes to mind is that with most call centers the rookies are going to get the worse shift bids at first. This is a 24/7 contact center, and when I started out, I got off work around 3am at night. So this might not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

I hope you're still being as awesome as I remember, and hope that I'll be able to work for you again. Your employees appreciate you!!

"quidsi"

I worked at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Comp, career path, team. values, opportunities

Cons

work, life, balance, politics

"Accelerating Company Growth. With Strong Work, Guarantees Career Development (and we have a ton of fun too!)"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Expanding presence inside and out of the AMZN marketplace driving growth and opportunities for willing employees to challenge themselves, make a real difference and get noticed. Innovation is still a prime focus as the company is, similarly, challenged to conceive a unique eCommerce offering for a parent company that invented the wheel. thats a really cool dynamic that quenches thirst of those with genuine intellectual curiosity and a yearn to, metaphorically speaking, build the engine, not just be a cog in the machine.

-Benefit from tools conceived by AMZN but also the creation of our own- its not a one-size-fits all platform. if you want to shine, you can- but don't expect to without extra effort (how is this not reality at any company these days?). to caveat, however, the smaller environment and collaborative atmosphere make it possible to create a path for achievement that one may lack in the churn/limited scope of roles at larger companies, esp in dev and the most critical areas to e-commerce.

-REALLY GREAT PEOPLE! Quidsi has nailed hiring the smartest folks and knowing who will win inside their culture. tons of fun, friends- haven't worked for a company where my team really felt "in it to win it," where i was truly excited to go out and cultivate new friendships with my coworkers. idk about most workplaces, but in past environments its felt like when 6pm hits, your colleagues are the last people you'd want to spend the night out with. total opposite here. (and i'm neither antisocial or shy from a good time!).

-One of the most complex and "peculiar" components of the AMZN family. How is that a pro? Quidsi isn't just a part of the machine, not simply a bolstering force back to the amazon.com landing page. It lives inside and out of Amazon, and wins in both spaces. Again, a cool dynamic that rewards talent that understands this crucial pivot.

Cons

-some micromanagement at times to attain amazons performance metrics across departments, when capacity does not exist to do so. sets up backfire situations that would be easily prevented otherwise. Quidsi is not amazon, it wont be, and it should not be attempting such a thing. It is the basis of our integration to be set apart. To be more of a partner/internal innovator than simply a vertical--we need to focus on making this happen. inherently contradictory that some managers miss this crucial difference. Lets take off such blindfolds and complete our true vision for what this company is/does/means (both independently and to our parent).

-to further previous point, this demands a lack of quality vs favoring quantity; which is a misery noticed by several areas inside the company, impacting hours and morale. impacts partnerships across businesses. certainly not unrecoverable, but requires change.

Advice to Management

Hone in on middle level management that are collecting paychecks, passing the buck/blame (if something fails) to their team and not accepting full ownership for their role and driving development. "Cut the fat!" Surely, this is a problem at near every major corporation- but we are not that. We're striving to maintain a start up type, innovative environment, and all this is a waste to the firm. We have a unique opportunity RIGHT NOW to promote the best talent upwards, because they're the ones truly quarterbacking our increased growth, while at times suffering from lack of credit. As AMZN says- Lets make the Right Things Happen. I love this company and want this concept driven stronger.

Reinvent a sometimes myopic focus on modern mom. we arent targeting a broad enough demo--pet owners arent always parents: they can be (and often are) single men or women who want to simplify. Soap is a fantastic solution for career oriented and time constrained young adults in delivery-centric metro areas, etc. Sure, Diapers started it all and I saw it happen myself. but if we want to live beyond marketplace, we need to be more inclusive about who we target.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of pros to working at Quidsi. We are empowered to be creative and lead large projects. Work/life balance is encouraged and supported. As a single mom, what I value the most is the flexibility to adjust my schedule, work from home, or take time off to meet my personal needs. My manager supports my career growth and is also my mentor. The views are breathtaking. Benefits and salary are among the best in the region - highly competitive.

Cons

There have been many changes at the company - some good, some not so good. However, our leaders are very open and communicate business updates weekly. I'm excited about the future of the company and I'm honored to be part of a company that truly cares about doing the right things for our internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, listen to our feedback, and taking action. It's paying off.

"Happy to be here"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+Challenging work
    +Motivating leaders
    +Smart co-workers
    +Work / Life balance
    +Plenty of perks (food, happy hours, snacks, games, gym, etc)

Cons

-Bad attitude from co-workers of the "old school" Quidsi.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent

"great"

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate

I have been working at Quidsi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Leadership, cheap food, open bars

Cons

Negative attitudes, lack of motivation in lower level employees

"Empowered to make an impact"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by talented colleagues, you are empowered to do the right things and make impacts.

Chance to learn a lot of new technology; Access to Amazon tools and systems; Adopt modern software development life cycle best practices; Still startup atmosphere; Good work life balance.

Directly interacting with business users; Goal is clear and you can work towards it.

Well defined career path; Options to stay technical or move to management. Unlimited opportunities inside Amazon family.

Cons

There are still old systems developed by outsourcing company before Amazon acquire Quidsi. Those systems are very dis-organized and require a lot of attention. These problems are being addressed now and tech is empowered to fix them or rewrite them.

Not enough tech resources, recruiting is very slow.

Advice to Management

Invest time to pay off tech debts. Trust technology and use them to replace tactical, manual work. Fix the recruiting!

Quidsi Response

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! You are certainly correct that Quidsians are extremely talented and innovative. Integration with Amazon has also created an incredible opportunity for... More

"A Positive Work Environment even During a Time of Difficult Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of people here remember what Quidsi used to be, but I'm only looking at where the company is going. Sure, there used to be more free food, free parking, more activities to enjoy, and you could do things like ride a scooter and race around on a regular basis. But the fact is we needed to make changes and those changes included taking some of those expensive luxuries away. I would rather do without free food and free parking and know that I'm working in a place where my job is secure and my company is going in a better direction. Even though morale fell significantly over these last few months, I feel it is slowly building up and people are starting to see things more positively again. And no one ever said those luxuries were things we could never obtain again--we just needed to make better decisions and you know what? It's working! We are heading towards a much better direction than we were even just a few months ago. I am confident that Quidsi will continue to grow and flourish under the Amazon umbrella.

Cons

Some people are still holding onto the days before Amazon purchased us-- It's time to get with the program and see the company for what it is NOW. We are not a little start-up diapers company anymore and there are more important things than free snacks and coffee. It's time to embrace the Amazon umbrella and be grateful for the opportunities we've been given since the acquisition. The negative people still here are living in the past and can really bring down morale. There are also lots of people here who feel that tenure should lead to promotions and raises. While tenure does play a role in promotional decisions, just because you have longevity with the company does not mean you are a good employee. Lots of people just skate by and expect the prize to fall in their laps. Those people will also get in your way and bring you down if you let them.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job turning this company back around and although people are full of complaints you handle it with dignity. My hat goes off to Leadership.

Quidsi Response

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Quidsi has definitely undergone some changes since our inception in 2005! Like most companies, Quidsi has had to adapt and grow with the times. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the... More