Quidsi Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Pros
  • Work/life balance is encouraged and supported (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits,lots of free food, amazing cl workers, fun environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 6 reviews)

• Customer Care is expected to fix everything under the false pretense of "helping" other teams (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, a lot of visibility, chance to work across many roles and functions. You will learn a ton here if you are motivated and ambitious.

Cons

This is not the place for people who just want to coast or need coddling. You will need to learn your business and take ownership very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture and employee satisfaction. Even the little things count.

"The Chocolate Factory of Call Centers"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Where do I begin?Great attitudes from all departments and personnel, free food (including fruit for us health nuts), and even a special event they hold one day a week for employees! (I don't want to give away any spoilers). They have a recreational area complete with video game systems, pool tables, and even work out equipment. Speaking of workout equipment, not only do they have their own personal workout area but you also get a free pass a really upscale gym around the corner. The training was awesome and I really hope to one day go back to work for the company. If you've been in customer service for years like I have, this company makes you feel like all that hard work finally paid off.

Cons

The only cons that comes to mind is that with most call centers the rookies are going to get the worse shift bids at first. This is a 24/7 contact center, and when I started out, I got off work around 3am at night. So this might not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

I hope you're still being as awesome as I remember, and hope that I'll be able to work for you again. Your employees appreciate you!!

"Empowered to make an impact"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by talented colleagues, you are empowered to do the right things and make impacts.

Chance to learn a lot of new technology; Access to Amazon tools and systems; Adopt modern software development life cycle best practices; Still startup atmosphere; Good work life balance.

Directly interacting with business users; Goal is clear and you can work towards it.

Well defined career path; Options to stay technical or move to management. Unlimited opportunities inside Amazon family.

Cons

There are still old systems developed by outsourcing company before Amazon acquire Quidsi. Those systems are very dis-organized and require a lot of attention. These problems are being addressed now and tech is empowered to fix them or rewrite them.

Not enough tech resources, recruiting is very slow.

Advice to Management

Invest time to pay off tech debts. Trust technology and use them to replace tactical, manual work. Fix the recruiting!

Quidsi Response

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! You are certainly correct that Quidsians are extremely talented and innovative. Integration with Amazon has also created an incredible opportunity for ... More

"A Positive Work Environment even During a Time of Difficult Changes"

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of people here remember what Quidsi used to be, but I'm only looking at where the company is going. Sure, there used to be more free food, free parking, more activities to enjoy, and you could do things like ride a scooter and race around on a regular basis. But the fact is we needed to make changes and those changes included taking some of those expensive luxuries away. I would rather do without free food and free parking and know that I'm working in a place where my job is secure and my company is going in a better direction. Even though morale fell significantly over these last few months, I feel it is slowly building up and people are starting to see things more positively again. And no one ever said those luxuries were things we could never obtain again--we just needed to make better decisions and you know what? It's working! We are heading towards a much better direction than we were even just a few months ago. I am confident that Quidsi will continue to grow and flourish under the Amazon umbrella.

Cons

Some people are still holding onto the days before Amazon purchased us-- It's time to get with the program and see the company for what it is NOW. We are not a little start-up diapers company anymore and there are more important things than free snacks and coffee. It's time to embrace the Amazon umbrella and be grateful for the opportunities we've been given since the acquisition. The negative people still here are living in the past and can really bring down morale. There are also lots of people here who feel that tenure should lead to promotions and raises. While tenure does play a role in promotional decisions, just because you have longevity with the company does not mean you are a good employee. Lots of people just skate by and expect the prize to fall in their laps. Those people will also get in your way and bring you down if you let them.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job turning this company back around and although people are full of complaints you handle it with dignity. My hat goes off to Leadership.

Quidsi Response

Aug 20, 2015 – CEO

Quidsi has definitely undergone some changes since our inception in 2005! Like most companies, Quidsi has had to adapt and grow with the times. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the ... More

"Intelligent, passionate and kind people"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Coworkers are smart. People care a lot about achieving results and having fun. You feel like you can make a difference at every level of the company.

Cons

Located in Jersey City, NJ.

"Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities
    Super easy commute from World Trade Center
    Autonomy with internal projects
    I was a customer for years prior to joining. Every interaction with the customer care team has been amazing, which was the big reason I decided to join.
    The Employee Services team comes up with the most creative ideas to ensure we are all taken care of - from cinco de mayo to subsidized music lessons to take your kids to work day, they go above and beyond to ensure everyone is happy
    General development opportunities - SDE bootcamp, Ted talks Fridays, internal development courses, etc.

Cons

Your responsible for bringing yourself up to speed and figuring out where to go for info. This is the flip side to having an autonomous work environment.

Advice to Management

None - everyone is doing a great job. All hands meetings ensure visibility into company wide goals.

"Difficult to find fault ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Quidsi for over 3 years and feel no reason to look for another job since I am constantly challenged. I have been able to work on multiple projects across the company interacting with some of the smartest, kindest, open minded and driven professionals on projects beyond the scope of my function. Quidsi’s philosophy on performance evaluation is so fair, giving you the chance to create your own goals and ask for feedback on them from those that you believe can best comment and assess your abilities. Your voice is also heard with the anytime feedback in place should you want to comment on anyone within the organization at any level. It is so refreshing to see the changes since Amazon’s acquisition with the implementation of better systems, best practices, and focus on continuous improvement while at the same time a conscientiousness on the preservation of Quidsi culture. There has been just slight adjustments to the principles promoted to account for maturation and business focus. The company fosters learning and development through training, promotion cycles , and transfers internally within the greater Amazon network. They also recently renovated the office space accommodating additional conference rooms, huddle areas, and the infamous stacked kitchens overlooking the beautiful views of NYC giving me even more comfort of Amazon’s commitment to Quidsi’s future.

Cons

While I have seen some cost cutting controls in place, I believe it is in the best interest of responsible sustainability. Amazingly though, it hasn't watered down the fun, celebratory culture.

"Great place to work if you like challenge and innovation"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get access to Amazon retail technologies and resources. Force you to think big. Have benefit of working for a big company and yet enjoying some startup culture. Tough hiring process means you have bright, tenanted colleagues to work with. And you have a tons of good knowledge and experience to acquire that will benefit you career development in long run.

Cons

Company is going through some management and system transition. Which can translate to the need for everyone to rethink about what they have been doing everyday and think differently. This can be challenging, which can be a problem for someone but others like me may enjoy it to certain extend.

Advice to Management

Keep up the startup culture, keep innovating, don't be afraid to try new ideas and embrace the controlled failure, be best teacher..

"Tremendous place to show your skills. Perfect setting to get your feet wet if you're starting your career in management"

Current Employee - Hourly Associate in McCarran, NV
    Current Employee - Hourly Associate in McCarran, NV

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not micro-managed. Given the tools to excel.

Cons

Can't blame the company for much, they're fairly new, trial and error.

Advice to Management

Keep it going. Didn't get to be number one for no reason.

"Great culture...the kindest people you will ever work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

exciting, vibrant environment
    very open to new ideas - they want people to come up with new ideas and see them through to fruition
    smart people who work hard and play hard
    kind, caring people are the norm
    awesome benefits - happy hours, lunches, tons of events, activities, charity work.....
    fast paced, constantly changing - upgrading

Cons

lots of change make work-life a little unpredictable, but still exciting
    long hours

Advice to Management

keep that entrepreneurial spirit! Quidsi is an incredible place, with incredible people. Let them shine...