Quiksilver Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pierre Agnes
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Poor upper management, poor scheduling (in 15 reviews)

• No room for growth, top heavy with management (in 8 reviews)

"Horrible manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commerce, CA

I worked at Quiksilver part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I didn't feel there were any pros to working here. Maybe good for a first job to get some experience.

Cons

Had to act super fake and pay was so incredibly low. Manager was the worst. Definitely not valued as an employee.

"Sales ops"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this company at all ! They don't care they fire people with no valid reasons. I insist terrible management support, One of the worst managements I have ever worked for.

Cons

Terrible management support! They did not give me the time to learn. They threw at me so much responsibilities within my first 30 days I couldn't keep up! Then the boss of the department left and I had no support of a supervisor. Then they told me that I was not doing a good job and they let me go.

Advice to Management

Terrible management! This company will not survive the already had a bankruptcy last year

3. "Constantly short staffed- Terrible working conditions"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Quiksilver part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the brightest and most creative people I've ever interacted with in a retail environment.

Despite the neglect by corporate all of our store managers did their best to try and improve the conditions and genuinely cared about employee's concerns.

Stayed on for 3 years was because it was close to my uni and I had worked there for so long that management was willing to bend over backwards to meet my school schedule.

Cons

-Corporate never took care of the store. 3 consecutive years with no heat or AC. In the winters the store would be around 30 or less degrees and in the summers it would be i90+ Which is in direct violation of OSHA standards. Constant reports/calls to OSHA with nothing done. This created a revolving door problem in which we could rarely keep sales associates. I didn't blame them for not tolerating these conditions

-Circa January 2014 all full time employees were laid off and paid severance- company never again hired full time sales/stock associates and made max hours for all associates/non management 32 hours a week so as to avoid paying benefits/ overtime. This led to the hiring of year round "seasonal" employees who were hired to fluff out the staff and cover the extra hours cut out by the new 32 hour max. These employees were rarely working more than 18 hours per week and furthered the revolving door problem.

-Poor conditions listed above created severe staffing problems. I often did the work of 2-3 people because we were so short staffed due to budget cuts and employees leaving in droves.

-No room for growth. One co-worker was finally promoted to manager after several years doing managers work without the title or pay raise. Promotions promised and never delivered upon.

-Corporate's terrible management eventually ran this company into the ground and all 3 nyc locations shuttered in late 2015.

Advice to Management

Listen to your salespeople.

5. "Not worth putting on your resume."

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

The 50-75% discount. And barely flexible enough for me to finish my college degree. The sample sales were great, but not since 2009.

Cons

No growth. Crap wages. Mediocre management. False hope and broken promises. Other than the pros, nothing great about this place.

Advice to Management

We were at one point asked, "What would help your store?". We told them what would help. They responded, "Start making a million every year, then we'll get you what you need." I guess by that logic, I could get some prize money if I win the Grand Prix in my amish buggy. Anyways, just stop and give up already. I don't think any advice here is going to help Quiksilver.

"QUIKSILVER Is a DOG with Flees!!!"

Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Laid back atmosphere, people are fun. job responsibilities and work load are easy! Great place to get experience in different departments if you desire.

Cons

*Quiksilver is an operational and organizational disaster that has been miss-managed for over the past 3 decades! The entire upper management team making decisions consists of all unqualified lifer employees that don't have any idea how to effectively manage and steer a clothing company into profitability. They are "winging it as they go". The have no visibility into areas of employee weakness beneath them nor the tactical arsenal to correct the problems effectively.

*They promote within constantly to management jobs if you are a bro and are a "lifer employee" and do so regularly regardless if your qualified due to high employee turnover rates.

*Quiksilver is a fun place to work for a few years in your early twenties, but definitely now not a place to be if your looking for job security, make good pay, and a chance to move up in positions. The vibe was you are lucky to even be here until the next layoffs occur.

*There is absolutely no job or systems training- your completely on your own.

*Horrible management decisions are the reason for all the constant layoffs and re-orgs.

*The company has not given bonuses nor contributed to employee match 401K program in over 5 years!!!!

*Don't bother wasting your time trying to work here until this place is fixed!

Advice to Management

*Stop hiring and promoting people to management positions that have not clearly demonstrated they are the correct person for the job! These mistakes are costing the company millions due to poor leadership and hurting employee family's constantly, due to layoffs. This sole reason is why the company is in the crapper! Choose leaders that know how to manage and train a team correctly!

*Its about time the company parts ways with BOB MCKNIGHT, granted he is the founder but he is running that place behind the scenes with his sole best interest at mind, not the shareholders nor employees! He's trying to keep his 3 mill a year going as long as he can until its all over. There is absolutly no reason why he should still be involved anymore. His proven poor leadership decisions as CEO, and as chairman over the past 5 years is the main reason for all the financial troubles the company is having. Andy Mooney was Quiksilver best shot to finally getting on track and BOB convinced the board to fire him because Bob wanted his chairman salary back... Bob I'm sure your a great guy, but its long overdue time for you to step aside and bring in the professionals to finally correct the place so that Quiksilver may have a future.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress Code
    Happy Hours
    Depending on the department once could have a good work/life balance

Cons

Many rounds of Lay offs
    No sense of direction
    Dying Brands
    Low employee morale and communication is none existence from Sr. Management
    Lack of growth and promotion
    Lack of leadership & employees have not bought into the turn around strategy
    All the talented people are leaving the sinking ship

Advice to Management

GET YOU ACT Together and start communicating with your employees before you go bankrupt

8. "Don't even bother!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits and the employee discount.

Cons

There is NO room for upward advancement. And even if there was an open position they'd promote someone by default because there wasn't anyone else. Yes there is, hire outside people who are qualified. Management is too lazy to take the time to search for quality people and train them. They can be sometimes difficult to work with and not flexible at all.

Turnover was so high because they pay their associates crap but managers get bonuses and $6k raises while the front line gets $.25, if that. They talk a big deal about treating you like family but when it comes down to it, it's every man for themselves.

Advice to Management

If they respected their staff they'd get some respect too. You've talked a good talk to get naive fresh out-of-high schoolers to drink the Kool-aid but what are you going to do to keep hard-working, qualified workers?

9. "Good brand, Fun environment, bad pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Both buildings on corporate campus are very nice and museum-like, have great food, and a great office gym (only one gym). Workloads are never overwhelming for anyone who isn't an executive. Most people leave right at 5:30 and doing so isn't really shunned upon. The company is not ran "lean"... there is basically an employee for every facet of the business (at least when I was last there)... This lifts heavy responsibility from any one team member. In retrospect, I was a lot more relaxed and had a great work-life balance while at Quik.

Cons

Compensation. Ability to move up and attain deserved raises. The budget for salary/raises is extremely tight... Quik has been negative on their bottom line for a number of years now. Only employees who "have gone above and beyond the expected progress" get a raise... And the raises are VERY small- about half of the national average of % raise increases.
    Do yourself a favor and don't go to Quik unless you desperately want to work in the action sports industry and/or you're looking for a "chill" job where you don't want to push your limit. But, There have been so many layoffs in the last year, looks like they've finally got the picture and trying to eliminate excess positions... I was lucky to get out when I did.

Advice to Management

You shouldn't have allowed Slater to leave.

"One of the most hostile environments I've ever experienced"

Former Employee - Design in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Design in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your coworkers and health benefits.

Cons

Management is unorganized, abusive, defamatory, immature, and favoritism is evident. There are layoffs every other month. There is absolutely no room for promotion. They hire inexperienced people over good people which makes others have to work harder for less. You are never safe or secure in your position. When there are layoffs they expect you to absorb every position and do it all with a smile. Empathy doesn't exist. They hire people with connections over talent, and that cripples the company and the employees. There are often over-night work nights or far into the early mornings. You cannot question the management because you are "lucky to be there at all". They make interns work over night.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Realize that work-life balance is important. Times are tough but you don't have to be. Let people go home and see their children. Allow talented people to grow. Don't hire people because they are your friend. Speak kindly of your employees behind their back, don't turn your employees against each other. Take your time hiring for specific purposes, don't hire mass amounts of people and then lay them all off. People work for you, with feelings, families, lives, and passions. We aren't robots that live on this planet to serve you.

"This Ship is Sinking..."

Former Employee - Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Updated work environment, creative spaces, good place to work if you're action sports oriented

Cons

Poor management, company priorities are not in order, ineffective leadership, career growth path is minimal, execs have good quality of life while worker bees do most of the heavy lifting.

Advice to Management

Coach and encourage your people to grow and take responsibility for their actions. The sign of bad management is withholding information, excluding your team from decision making and communication - stop keeping people in the dark like mushrooms...Stop promoting unqualified "Bros" into executive positions, just because they make great surfing buddies.