Quiksilver Reviews | Glassdoor

Quiksilver Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Poor upper management, poor scheduling (in 15 reviews)

• No room for growth, top heavy with management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Love the Ohana vibe"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved their Ohana motto and the family feel they TRY promote. They also have district competitions during summer so if you sell the most and make the most money they like give you a pair of free sandals or something small like that and they are really nice.

Cons

No room for gain
    Low pay
    Management doesn't take ownership for POOR direction to staff especially when a regional manager is there so they literally have no
    Problem throwing you under a buss to save their butts.
    Wish ALL management or staff was really about the Ohana vibe or philosophy.
    Honestly another thing that sucks that I learned in my 2 almost 3 years there, when I was like a year in it was around our busy season and all of our managers were pushing and PUSHING their sales associates to always BEAT goal and beat the month goals in sales and I found out that they REALLY push around that season because literally only managers (store managers and assistant managers and maybe supervisors I'm not sure on that one) make bonus and gets paid extra in their checks.. Nothing goes to the actual sales associates that push the sales and work with the customers while managers are in the back screwing around on the computer.. The store gets an "store bonus" and they send that store a visa gift card except the store manager determines how it's spent and my store managers would have "Manangers team building meetings" to some restaurant that only they could go to on the store giftcards dime and then the associates would gets some cold half butt(cause you can't say as* on here) "we bought you guys a pizza dinner or lunch" type of deal. Personally when 2 of the main managers left our new managers were WAY MORE "Ohana" like and would actually treat the associates to dinners when the entire store was closed and everyone could attend. That's when I actually enjoyed working there and felt like it was an Ohana type feel.

Advice to Management

You should actually ALL try to be Ohana like and look out for your associates and not dupe them.

2. "Footwear Developer"

Current Employee - Footwear Developer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Footwear Developer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A relaxed, chill environment. Lots of learning, young employees.

Cons

Always changing role and responsibilities.

3. "good job bad pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

very chill environment nice employee discount

Cons

steep salary but must have been because it was a low volume store

Advice to Management

pay your managers better

"Used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very casual environment. You are able to wear flip flops and t-shirts if you'd like. I've met a few really good friends and gained some great experience.

Cons

The low pay and lack of benefits do not properly correlate with the amount of work and responsibility assigned to you.

Advice to Management

The company as a whole needs to get back to their roots. Managers need to be up front with their employees and encourage each other, rather than bring people down.

5. "LOVE THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Quiksilver part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great team building skills
    -awesome discount
    -flexible with school

Cons

-not enough time in a day to spend with the team, so many friends are made

Advice to Management

Don't make snapshot critiques on an associate, try to create last feedback with one on one talent building skills.

6. "Good enviroment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment
    Flexible with your schedule
    Very casual ( you can wear shorts and flip flops if you wan to)

Cons

Laying off people too often
    Sometimes there was too much pressure from upper management with strict deadlines that were unrealistic to complete.

Advice to Management

Have more communication between departments and try lo stay real rather than goals that could not be achievable

"Sadly not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, laid back, good people

Cons

In two years working there I watched it go from great to sad. Consistent layoffs and moving too much business to Europe caused this once great place to disintegrate.

Advice to Management

Since going global things have been on a steady decline to now bankruptcy. You may want to reconsider your strategy.

"FYI"

Former Employee - Sales Ops Director - Department Stores, Ecomm & Sporting Goods in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and good teamwork, location is ideal for those living in Orange County. Good benefits program and fair salaries.

Cons

Company has filed for bankruptcy and its future is unclear, I continue to hope they can turn it around as these are iconic brands and are for many the beginning of the surf culture in apparel.

9. "Not worth putting on your resume."

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

The 50-75% discount. And barely flexible enough for me to finish my college degree. The sample sales were great, but not since 2009.

Cons

No growth. Crap wages. Mediocre management. False hope and broken promises. Other than the pros, nothing great about this place.

Advice to Management

We were at one point asked, "What would help your store?". We told them what would help. They responded, "Start making a million every year, then we'll get you what you need." I guess by that logic, I could get some prize money if I win the Grand Prix in my amish buggy. Anyways, just stop and give up already. I don't think any advice here is going to help Quiksilver.

10. "Mentoring to Flip Flops this place rocks!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to have former big4 employees mentor in training and promoted from within was my experience. For 8.5 years started as a entry level clerk; exiting as a first Manager for 6 years.
     No degree high school diploma only! I am truly grateful and make decent money as a result.

Cons

My perceptive was lack of communication within departments from director to manager went rolled down hill from there. The turn over also made it nearly impossible to know or pin point
    who reported to who and/or in what department / division.

Advice to Management

Management needs to bring one person from every level of the department into meetings when implementations and/or system upgrades are being talked about. Their input is just as valuable as the Lead Supervisor and / or managers it would help in every aspect to hear from all perspectives.