Quiksilver "no room" Reviews | Glassdoor

Quiksilver Employee Reviews about "no room"

Updated Jul 26, 2016

3.7
Quiksilver CEO Pierre Agnes (no image)
Pierre Agnes
Pros
  • "I had the opportunity to gain experience in various departments and enjoyed the laid back work environment(in 38 reviews)

• "Very laid back with great management(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor upper management, poor scheduling(in 15 reviews)

• "salary low- no room for growth- bad managers who wont have your backs even thought you worked your butt off(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "no room"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Quiksilver part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, employee discount, and customers

Cons

Low pay, no commision, no room for advancement, no full time except for managers

Quiksilver2015-04-02

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relax work environment, 50% discount on clothes, ok benefits, and flexible work schedule.

Cons

No room for growth, weak pay, abrasive teaching environment, hasn't had performance reviews in 3 years, no raises, and unnecessary drama. Bad coffee in the break room. Have a history of doing annual lay offs.

Advice to Management

Cross train employees, stop micro managing, spread out the workload, and listen to employees ideas.

Quiksilver2016-07-26
  3. "Constantly short staffed- Terrible working conditions"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Quiksilver part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the brightest and most creative people I've ever interacted with in a retail environment. Despite the neglect by corporate all of our store managers did their best to try and improve the conditions and genuinely cared about employee's concerns. Stayed on for 3 years was because it was close to my uni and I had worked there for so long that management was willing to bend over backwards to meet my school schedule.

Cons

-Corporate never took care of the store. 3 consecutive years with no heat or AC. In the winters the store would be around 30 or less degrees and in the summers it would be i90+ Which is in direct violation of OSHA standards. Constant reports/calls to OSHA with nothing done. This created a revolving door problem in which we could rarely keep sales associates. I didn't blame them for not tolerating these conditions -Circa January 2014 all full time employees were laid off and paid severance- company never again hired full time sales/stock associates and made max hours for all associates/non management 32 hours a week so as to avoid paying benefits/ overtime. This led to the hiring of year round "seasonal" employees who were hired to fluff out the staff and cover the extra hours cut out by the new 32 hour max. These employees were rarely working more than 18 hours per week and furthered the revolving door problem. -Poor conditions listed above created severe staffing problems. I often did the work of 2-3 people because we were so short staffed due to budget cuts and employees leaving in droves. -No room for growth. One co-worker was finally promoted to manager after several years doing managers work without the title or pay raise. Promotions promised and never delivered upon. -Corporate's terrible management eventually ran this company into the ground and all 3 nyc locations shuttered in late 2015.

Advice to Management

Listen to your salespeople.

Quiksilver2016-02-23
  4. "Love the Ohana vibe"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved their Ohana motto and the family feel they TRY promote. They also have district competitions during summer so if you sell the most and make the most money they like give you a pair of free sandals or something small like that and they are really nice.

Cons

No room for gain Low pay Management doesn't take ownership for POOR direction to staff especially when a regional manager is there so they literally have no Problem throwing you under a buss to save their butts. Wish ALL management or staff was really about the Ohana vibe or philosophy. Honestly another thing that sucks that I learned in my 2 almost 3 years there, when I was like a year in it was around our busy season and all of our managers were pushing and PUSHING their sales associates to always BEAT goal and beat the month goals in sales and I found out that they REALLY push around that season because literally only managers (store managers and assistant managers and maybe supervisors I'm not sure on that one) make bonus and gets paid extra in their checks.. Nothing goes to the actual sales associates that push the sales and work with the customers while managers are in the back screwing around on the computer.. The store gets an "store bonus" and they send that store a visa gift card except the store manager determines how it's spent and my store managers would have "Manangers team building meetings" to some restaurant that only they could go to on the store giftcards dime and then the associates would gets some cold half butt(cause you can't say as* on here) "we bought you guys a pizza dinner or lunch" type of deal. Personally when 2 of the main managers left our new managers were WAY MORE "Ohana" like and would actually treat the associates to dinners when the entire store was closed and everyone could attend. That's when I actually enjoyed working there and felt like it was an Ohana type feel.

Advice to Management

You should actually ALL try to be Ohana like and look out for your associates and not dupe them.

Quiksilver2015-12-05
  5. "It's a great way to get your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Quiksilver part-time for more than a year

Pros

My co workers were nice very friendly with laid back attitudes that just made the environment overall relaxed. The discount is insane 75% off its been the best discount so far. I bought quite a few things for other people

Cons

There's no room for growth opportunity. You are either a manager, stock or sales associate. The managers don't know anything and they play favorites to employees who are just like them or hang out with them outside of work. I've watched people get passed up for people who are late and lazy but they have a dude like mentality

Advice to Management

Promote people who deserve it not your bros

Quiksilver2015-08-29
  6. "smu designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

cool atmosphere, fun group of co workers,

Cons

Advice to Management

drop the ego

Quiksilver2015-05-13
  7. "Was a good company, not so much anymore"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open work environment, you can wear what ever and in our department we had very flexible schedules

Cons

No room for growth, top heavy with management.

Advice to Management

Stop discounting every product and selling everything to wholesale

Quiksilver2014-08-27
  8. "Don't even bother!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medical benefits and the employee discount.

Cons

There is NO room for upward advancement. And even if there was an open position they'd promote someone by default because there wasn't anyone else. Yes there is, hire outside people who are qualified. Management is too lazy to take the time to search for quality people and train them. They can be sometimes difficult to work with and not flexible at all. Turnover was so high because they pay their associates crap but managers get bonuses and $6k raises while the front line gets $.25, if that. They talk a big deal about treating you like family but when it comes down to it, it's every man for themselves.

Advice to Management

If they respected their staff they'd get some respect too. You've talked a good talk to get naive fresh out-of-high schoolers to drink the Kool-aid but what are you going to do to keep hard-working, qualified workers?

Quiksilver2014-07-03
  9. "Relaxed work culture, no room for growth and low morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual/fun work environment. Good discount on the clothes. Lots of paid holidays. Good work/life balance, in my department at least.

Cons

No room for career advancement. Layoffs and restructuring very common now, so morale is low. Some departments seemed to get more perks than others. Communication between departments is lacking. Changes are made by upper management poorly implemented.

Quiksilver2014-04-04
  10. "Absolutely loved the job wish I could have stayed...Disappointed in management."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great work environment. -Laid back culture. -No real dress code just only Quik/DC/Roxy product. -Great discount at store on all products. -Awesome people to work with. -Make huge connections with corporate people and possible movement (maybe). -Corporate parties are tons of fun. -Get to meet team sponsored athletes and famous celebrities. -Get to see all new up and coming stuff before any other store.

Cons

-No room for movement and if there was managers would already pick out someone before and not give any opportunity to the rest of the field. -Managers would hire wrong people for job and "Think" they are qualified. -Managers worried more about themselves and how they could get a bigger bonus. -Managers would miss use time and workout out or go to mall or have 2 hours lunch breaks. -Managers would sit in office 3/4 of the day and then come out to dictate what associate team/stock team would do and ruin everything because "they're right and your wrong."-Everything seems like "high school drama." -Would ask and say "We appreciate feedback" but when you did thy would flip out on associates and make you them the bad guy.

Advice to Management

-Don't be afraid to fire people in management just because he/she has been there for 10 years doesn't mean he/she is qualified for the position and for more in the upper level. -Do reviews every 6 months...it gives the associates appreciation you care and want them to succeed. -Give opportunities to people and don't "favor" those because they're your "BFF". -Just because you were on TV and you were "The Killer' doesn't mean your a celeb in a store. Your in your office all day looking at weeding ideas and not doing anything for the store. -You want better works???....Pay them better and you'll be surprised how high they jump.

Quiksilver2013-12-30