Quiktrak Reviews | Glassdoor

Greg Froomer

"Could Be Worse"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Quiktrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good first job for someone right out of college, to get his/her feet wet while getting professional experience. I did really well in my position and saw continuous pay raises. I dealt with very little conflict. There was free food almost every week and CEO Greg Froomer tries to show his appreciation for his employees. Dress code is laid back and there is flex time and PTO.

Cons

I was fine working at Quiktrak until it occurred to me that I would never have a career there. I had "maxed out" my position; I had received bonuses and raises unheard-of for QT employees, but there was no added responsibility. After doing a great job for eight months, I was suddenly micromanaged and I wasn't sure why. I had simply out grown the position and it was time to move on.
    The pay, like the reviews say, is pretty low. The industry/service is so niche, I had a hard time succinctly explaining to others what Quiktrak is without having my audience fall asleep. That it's difficult to translate these skills to other companies/positions.
    Technologically, we were in the stone age. I was embarrassed having to tell each contractor that our website only works on Internet Explorer.
    Most of the people working there look like they've had the life zapped out of them.
    There can be a lack of professionalism by the management. No accountability.
    The HR department--one woman who works part time, who asked me to sign the employee handbook TWO WEEKS after I had been employed--asked in my exit interview "But what's the culture here?"
    I was asking myself the same question on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Try not to make everything binary, there are always exceptions. If your employees are doing a great job, and you indicate it with their paychecks, don't micromanage, you'll only alienate the valuable workers.

"Revolving door, hostile environment, dead-end job."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Quiktrak full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress code.
    Decent coffee for free.
    The head of the company seems nice and is trying to keep the "family feeling" going, even though it's now owned by a conglomerate.

Cons

A small core group of unfriendly individuals make all the technology and architectural decisions so you don’t get a say in anything and will be lucky if you get any details about how you are supposed to do your work. Nothing is documented, the specs for tasks are a complete joke (literally a few words), and they change the requirements constantly so the developer is blamed when it’s done wrong. Scope creep is a way of life in this department.

Since this core group has worked at Quiktrak for so long they lack experience with modern technology and they try to hide their inadequacies by making fun of everything outside of their tiny world. This has lead to some epically bad decisions making their systems are a total mess of bandaids and hacks. They have most everyone outside of the department fooled into thinking they are some kind of cutting-edge technology team; this couldn’t be further from the truth. A full review of their practices by their parent company is needed badly.

The rest of the department is treated like second class citizens so they speak only when spoken too and aren’t assigned any interesting or meaningful projects to work on, only “tasks” (i.e. bugs or tiny enhancements). It’s pretty obvious management has a general lack of trust of the individual and their skills.

As a developer, you are treated like a replaceable contractor. You might be told to change something another developer just worked on (or is still working on), so there’s no sense of ownership or expertise in any of the code, which might be intentional. This leads to the developers stumbling over each other and massively inefficient methodologies. Making things worse, there’s plenty of times when the CIO assigns the same task to two separate developers, usually with conflicting instructions, just because he “forgot”. And why the CIO is directly handing out development tasks without the software manager’s knowledge is yet another problem.

Other lowlights:
    Inconsistent expectations and treatment by management from one employee to the next.
    Employee performance reviews are the time when you find out that you’re doing something wrong and that it has already affected your raise and bonus.
    Quiktrak’s overall turnover is shockingly high which implies the tech department employees aren’t the only ones who aren't happy there.

A developer with any experience should avoid this place like the plague - you won’t be treated with any respect, you will be frustrated that you can’t apply your knowledge, and you’ll want to gouge your eyes out when you see the terrible way their systems are implemented.
    Anybody who wants to use them only for experience, understand that most of what you’ll “learn” there conflicts with many best-practices so the skills aren’t transferable and you’ll waste time un-learning them at your next job.

Advice to Management

To the management of the company:
    Get a comprehensive review of your tech department's methodologies; they are exposing you to risk.

To the management of the tech department:
    Attend some management training.
    When you assume you’re the smartest guy in the room, you are showing that you aren’t.
    Show some trust in your employees by listening to the ideas from the larger team as a whole.
    The overall team dynamic sucks and you alienate most of your staff by the way you run your good-old-boys club.

"Difficult Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Field Auditor in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Auditor in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Quiktrak (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work independently and create your own schedules.

Cons

The inspections are unannounced for the field auditors which should not be a problem but many of the business owners are difficult to work with as they do not want to be audited at all even though it is in their contract to have audits performed either monthly or bi monthly.

There is no set mileage pay for travel for the field representatives. Be prepared to put a lot of mileage on your car and haggle for every bit of compensation. When you first start they tell you how great they will compensate you for mileage, gas and even your meals. Then, after you are hired they cut back every penny they can. They make you submit "bids", on jobs and then tell you they will just get someone else to do the job who will not ask for so much pay. There is no measure of how much can be charged per mile what so ever so it is hard to get compensated properly with today's gas prices. Also, there is extremely poor communication between office staff and field reps. The communication has become worse over time and each and every year. Extremely high turnover rate for the office staff that schedules the jobs.

Advice to Management

Have a competitive set mileage rate to avoid constant battles between office staff and field representatives. Hire more experienced office staff that schedule the jobs instead of people who have worked minimum wage jobs only prior to coming to work for Quiktrak. Make office staff accountable for communicating and providing correct information.

5. "Great First Job out of College"

Former Employee - Audit Quality Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Audit Quality Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Quiktrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Really good, hardworking employees
    - Team atmosphere (employees are encouraged to acknowledge good deeds of peers, and are acknowledged or rewarded monthly)
    - Great benefits (health, vision, dental, life)
    - Casual attire
    - Fun perks (gift cards, occasional free food brought in the office, free daily coffee and tea, etc.)
    - Caring senior managers and mid-level managers

Cons

High-volume of workload (at times)
    High-stress (constant communication and follow-up, pushing to get everything done at end of day)
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Find more ways for career growth in the company, especially recent college grads or pay a little bit more starting out to help encourage people to stay. I loved the company culture, work/life balance, and benefits, but had no reason to stay long-term with my personal career goals.

6. "Inspection"

Former Employee - Inspector in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Inspector in Odessa, TX

I worked at Quiktrak (More than a year)

Pros

Great for part-time work anywhere

Cons

not good when gas is expensive

"field inspector"

Current Employee - Field Inspector in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Field Inspector in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Quiktrak (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training and support. Can negotiate travel pay. Do the inspections completely on smartphone. No uploading photos or reports at home.

Cons

Just supplemental income. Not consistent work.

Advice to Management

Encourage inspectors to communicate with other inspectors in the area for support.

"Quikly becoming a revolving door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Quiktrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

● Generally good intradepartmental camaraderie and if your position entails working with the ICs directly, you get to know a lot of really interesting and funny people from all areas / backgrounds; the bonds with coworkers/ICs are probably the most compelling reason for me to stay and what I enjoy most about working here.

● Excellent (department level) managers.

● CEO is friendly and seems to sincerely want Quiktrak to be a good workplace.

● PTO and benefits package are satisfactory; generally nice office atmosphere (free coffee, casual dress) although space is increasingly cramped.

● Fairly good work/life balance - except for Revoquest Support, you're not expected to be "on call" or check work emails at home; most positions don't require overtime.

Cons

● Employee salary is far too low for the "entry-level" positions (esp. compared to other companies and for cost of living in Portland). (And the "raises" are more like "adjustments for inflation" - there is no light at the end of the tunnel.) Much of the office staff (Account Coordinators, CSA's, Quality Analysts, etc) need to live with others or have other sources of income (second jobs, driving for Uber, etc) to make ends meet. Many have told me they are either actively job hunting or staying put for now "for the experience".

● Increasingly high turnover / attrition due to people leaving for better paying jobs. In many departments, it seems like there is usually an open slot *or* one or more people are very new / in training -- of course this means an increased workload for the few "seasoned" employees left. Morale is abysmal.

● Bonuses and performance evaluations are *completely subjective* - although allegedly based on job performance, there aren't clear targets for what merits a specific rating/bonus. Recently, management has announced they are trying to develop an objective rubric.

● Parallels can be drawn for the independent contractor base. Although ostensibly the number of ICs has grown, many new recruits do not seem to be as thoroughly vetted for experience/suitability before being "activated"; many stop contracting with us due to complaints about pay, or we stop contracting with them due to poor quality. A lot of time, by a lot of different people, is wasted developing recruits who end up not working out.

● There is often a noticeable disconnect between the various departments. Rather than everyone working towards a common agenda, it often seems like each department has its own goals/rules which may conflict with those of another department, or even that departments are competing against each other for limited resources.

● The Regional Manager team is a mixed bag, ranging from "model employee" to "running office joke". It doesn't help morale when those in the higher positions seem to be held to lower standards for professionalism and competence. Apparently due to this lack of accountability, there's surprisingly little movement in the upper echelons (compared the chaos at the ground level), such that there's not a lot of opportunity for career advancement if you start at the bottom.

Advice to Management

● Incentivize good employees and ICs to stick around, rather than continue to lower the bar of admission in a desperate attempt to hold down wages to recessionary levels. In short, higher salary for the office staff - better base pay schedule for the ICs (ideally, one that is more fine-tuned to the differences in cost of living / job volume for different areas rather than a "one-size-fits-all" approach). Management's view seems to expect ICs to accept some contracts at a loss because they'll make it up on other ones which are overly generous. (This makes no sense -- they're ICs, not employees who can be expected to have to "suck it up" even when faced with an undesirable task.) The savings in time spent haggling/negotiating, and the boost in morale to ICs and the staff is well worth it.

● Integrate the goals of various departments so that they're not working at cross-purposes. This should include effective interdepartmental communication beyond the RM team, who as a whole are just not performing that role effectively.

● Implement clear and objective standards for evaluating employees -- and set/follow through with consequences for poor performance.

"Quiktrak"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Great environment and culture. Everyone is super relax and nice. I loved the casual dress code.

Cons

Super low pay, they will definitely need to increase salary based on high living expenses here near Portland, Oregon.

"RUN AWAY as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Field Auditor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Auditor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Quiktrak full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working independently without constant hassle from management or co-workers

Cons

Constant lies from management.concerning the volume & location of work.

Advice to Management

Attrition costs companies a lot of money. Stop lying to your contractors & be fair with them so that perhaps you can cut down on attirition.

"Okay job if your just starting out in the work field."

Current Employee - Messenger in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Messenger in New York, NY

I have been working at Quiktrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are Nice people to work for.

Cons

The pay is not that good. I struggle to make three hundred at the end of the week.

Advice to Management

Messengers generally need to be paid more plus get paid for sick days.