QuinStreet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
QuinStreet Chairman and CEO Doug Valenti
Doug Valenti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very flexible with work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• QuinStreet is an excellent place to start your career and grow through various phases of development (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Training is not thorough, management is corrupt, high turnover rate (in 9 reviews)

• There's been so many upper management changes due to the instability of the company and market place (in 12 reviews)

1. "Smart people and great results for clients"

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people really do make all the difference. Smart, determined, truly care about clients and media partners. It's cool to work with so many big brands, Fortune 500 types, and to be able to deliver such great results for them. So many people at QuinStreet work so hard to make it all happen. CEO and executive team push hard but also offer a lot of support and are always asking "what do you need to be successful?" It's a culture where people care for each other including senior management for less-tenured employees; everything is ethical and above board; and where performance is key - for clients and for career progression. You're likely to become an expert in digital marketing as a QuinStreet employee because of the depth of the company's digital media footprint and the depth of its performance marketplace technology.

Cons

It can be challenging to see the big picture of what's happening at the company because there are several verticals where most employees are focused in an in-depth kind of way.

Advice to Management

Maintain wfocus on performance for clients. It's helped us (and them) be successful this far and that won't change in the future.

"A place to grow"

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

QuinStreet is an excellent place to start your career and grow through various phases of development. I have been given various opportunities throughout my career here to branch out into new areas both on the technology and P&L side. Opportunities to own and lead initiatives are fruitful. The Company's willingness to test new initiatives and explore your ideas is refreshing.

Cons

Often times prioritization of resources and opportunities becomes difficult given the vertical orientation of the company. It would be great to have a more holistic approach to this and more visibility into the pipeline of opportunity across the company. More collaboration on new ideas across verticals would also be awesome.

Advice to Management

Continue to feed us more information around strategy, wins, and challenges. Often times we hear about everything after the fact. Given our momentum--there is much we can accelerate if we share more sooner.

"Worked at QuinStreet for almost 10 years and it was hard but great"

Former Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA

I worked at QuinStreet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

QuinStreet is a challenging and interesting place to work. The company has a very performance-oriented culture which works great if you are ambitious, open to constructive feedback and hard working. As a company whose main product/service is digital marketing it is one of the best places to become an expert in customer acquisition, the various digital marketing channels and how big advertisers think about their digital marketing budgets. You will learn a ton and it will give you a pretty broad view of how the internet ecosystem works.

QuinStreet also has a promote-from-within culture and rewards folks for working hard and contributing. There are good opportunities for advancement over time, and people feel valued so they stay (often 5+ years).

The company navigated a big transition in its business (shift away from Education to Insurance/Financial Services) over the last 6-7 years which was hard to do and led to low morale at some points. To the credit of a lot of dedicated and hardworking people there, the business remained fairly stable throughout that process and has exited that transition and is now growing quickly. I would work there again.

Cons

The flipside of the performance-oriented culture is that your professional development and success at the company is evaluated based on the impact you are making. This can mean you won't get a lot of recognition for working hard on something that doesn't drive impact, and that if you are in a junior role it may be hard to make a big impact in your first year or two. You have to be open to feedback and enjoy solving hard problems to do well there.

As a company in Silicon Valley where startups are continually raising tons of money from VCs and trying to dazzle with their innovative ideas, QuinStreet can feel a little stodgy. QuinStreet has historically been fairly quiet as a company, and has done virtually no PR or brand-building - which makes it a bit hard to understand from the outside. People who have been working in the digital advertising industry for a while will know QuinStreet, but it may not get much name-brand recognition outside of that.

Advice to Management

The company was one of the early innovators of digital marketing and could do more to strengthen its brand and position as a thought leader in the digital advertising ecosystem.

"Works for me!"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible with work life balance. Open environment. Solid and reliable employees that are smart, proactive and fun to work with. Hard work and execution of projects are recognized and rewarded. Very relaxed working environment.

Cons

It's not FB or Apple, but I don't think I'd fit in there anyways!

5. "Great company great people great growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

Very fun culture. The office admin department set up fun activities like Easter egg hunt and movie screenings at lunch. The people who work here are very supportive and more than willing to help. The company provides you with ample opportunities for growth such as being crossed trained in different departments.

Cons

I have no major concerns

6. "Lots of opportunity for the taking"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had the opportunity to grow in responsibilities and roles. Gained valuable experience in online media, product and advertising (all of which helped me move internally and are in-demand externally). If you're driven and capable, you can create plenty of opportunities for yourself.

Cons

Being a public company can be hard at times , especially during those years when we were transitioning from verticals experiencing macro and regulatory pressures. Those businesses have now stabilized and we've also seen acceleration from other verticals to offset.

Advice to Management

Continue to share and celebrate your successes. Develop and invest in your next round of leaders. They're the life blood of the company. Keep that momentum going.

"Great company with flexibility and opportunity to grow"

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit, exposure to many different products and media, very knowledgeable employees, flexible schedule, etc.

Cons

I have no major concerns

"Professional and Collegial environment, Sharp Management, Results-Oriented culture"

Current Employee - Director, Media Strategy, Financial Services in Foster City, CA

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

QuinStreet is a focused, digital performance marketing company, so employees get a full deep-dive into the exciting, challenging digital performance marketing space. Its a competitive space, so everyone works hard to grow revenue, expand margin, and provide quality leads, clicks and calls to our clients. Its a professional, results-oriented culture; you're judged not by how long you're sitting at your desk, but how driven you are and how much you contribute to the team. There's tons of cross-category collaboration between talented and hard-working Creative, Engineering, Finance, Media, and Client teams. As a media strategy director, I'm constantly challenged to find solutions to complex issues. Management is supportive and promotes the professional, results-oriented culture. Highly recommend!

Cons

The work isn't easy, so its not a good place for folks who want to "cruise" in their careers and hide behind others. Everyone is expected to contribute.

Advice to Management

While there is always new challenges on the horizon, don't forget to "celebrate wins" and give positive feedback to hard-working team members, when warranted

9. "marketing analyst"

Pros

They do offer better pay.

Cons

a lot of micromanaging. NOT GOOD

"Horrible job. Do not lower yourself to this. Corrupt and unrewarding line of work."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at QuinStreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can stomach the calls you can use the experience for a better customer service job. 15$ monthly gift card for food that sits past its expiration date in the fridge.

Cons

You are tricking decent people who are looking for jobs into being telemarketed by profit driven schools. You will hate yourself and your voice after repeating the same lines for weeks You are a liar on every call, you are not helping people, you are deceiving them. They are desperate for work and you are forcing education on them. Many of them are 45+ year old honest working Americans who have been laid off from their jobs and are in dire need of employment only to be tricked by an automated robot into thinking they are being called by a potential employer then transferred to you and asked to sign up for telemarketing from schools that want to take them further into debt and depression.

Advice to Management

Never met Management past my supervisors, but to my supervisors I would ask. Is this really all you think you’re capable of doing in life? Is this really what you wanted for yourself? Are you not willing to take a risk and go after something that you love, instead of doing this damming job day after day?