Quinnipiac University Adjunct Professor Reviews | Glassdoor

Quinnipiac University Adjunct Professor Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2020

4.8
Quinnipiac University University President  Judy D. Olian (no image)
Judy D. Olian
0 Rating
  1. "Fantastic place to work as an adjunct professor and recreational group fitness teacher"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Hamden, CT

I have been working at Quinnipiac University for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic supervisors and supportive faculty and staff members. Amazing community to be a part of. Great to see new faces and build new relationships each and every semester. Each class and course takes on a different feel and personality. I love this job, been there for about 12 years and will never leave.

Cons

Only con I can think of is I wish I could teach over summer break and winter break.

Quinnipiac University2018-11-27
  2. "Great university with some current challenges"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Hamden, CT

I have been working at Quinnipiac University part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Quinnipiac University is a great place to work with an amazing collection of students, faculty, and staff. Just very welcoming and friendly people who are upbeat and energetic toward making it a special place.

Cons

Recent drop in admitted students have led to short-sighted budget cuts that have not been well thought out. This has negatively impacted students, faculty, and the overall morale of the school.

Quinnipiac University2020-01-14
  3. "Adjuncts Galore!"

Adjunct Professor in Hamden, CT

I worked at Quinnipiac University

Pros

Every professor (adjunct through full time) was incredibly nice and supportive. I taught an intro lab course for freshmen and an elective science class for sophmores - seniors. I was able to meet with the department head, two full time professors and the head of the teaching office for help in the elective course. The lab course was very well laid out and I could reach out to almost anyone for help and materials. The students were okay. Respectful. Engaged. Motivated. Somewhat spoiled- needed to be spoon fed with the worlds tiniest silver spoon. There was a large difference between the freshmen and the elective class, which indicates that the school is doing something right.

Cons

They promise the students that they will never interact with a teaching assistant, which means that they call everyone who teaches there "professor.", regardless of degree or what that degree was in. We had people with masters degrees in education teaching science courses. A lot of the adjuncts taught full classes including introductory courses. The students were also promised that every class will be less than 60 students, which means a lot of the introductory courses. Some adjuncts stayed for years, but there was also a ton of turnover. The freshmen often complained that their introductory course was off schedule/taught differently then the other introductory courses. My elective students were annoyed that such an inexperienced professor was teaching them.

Advice to Management

Hire full-time or part time lecturers that have benefits and a degree in what they are teaching.

Quinnipiac University2016-03-14