Quizlet Reviews

4.3
Quizlet CEO Matthew Glotzbach
Matthew Glotzbach
  1. Featured Review

"Making a huge impact while putting our people and users first"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager

I have been working at Quizlet full-time

Pros

The company values are integrated in everything the company does and it's important to not just achieve results, but also do it the right way. There is a well defined career ladder and emphasis on providing people with opportunities to stretch themselves if they so desire. People are open to each other's opinions and ideas and have the ability to drive the changes that are important to them. Overall, people try to not take themselves too seriously, but are serious about helping people learn.

Cons

The office space, while continuing to expand, has become a little cramped as the company has grown

2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Quizlet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone in the company has a positive attitude and all trying to uphold Quizlet's values. It is a very inclusive workplace.

Cons

Nothing negative to say here

"Great place to work, amazing people, and inspiring product"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quizlet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quizlet has been an amazing place to work. It felt like my work had the potential to positively impact students' educational journeys, and that the product was constantly improving to help address their needs. The best part of working at Quizlet, though, was definitely the people. The people on the teams I've worked on have always been super friendly, nice, kind, and helpful. My coworkers were always willing to work together to tackle tough problems, and take time out of their day to contribute their knowledge. The management is also transparent with the company's metrics, financials, and product roadmap, which made it a lot easier to understand the impact that our work was having on the company as a whole and understand the thought process behind leadership's decisions. The new expanded office, with new meeting spaces, also turned out nice!

Cons

At the team level, it's sometimes unclear what the team is exactly working towards. I feel like this depends on what team you're working on, as each team has different goals and metrics.

"Dead End: Monetization And Product Death"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Quizlet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quizlet's benefits and perks are on par for the bay area.

Cons

I'll break this up into Monetization, Product, and User expectations: - Quizlet has two forms of making revenue: Subscriptions and Ads 1. Subscriptions at the company are a lot like Grammarly, one unlocks "features" like no ads. There are no "AI tools" to speak of, and the team hasn't been able to build anything remotely close to it with a data team of 15+ employees. 2. Ads are fine in concept, but poor in execution. Ads are introduced during "learn" modes, where actual learning occurs. Also, ads are a large part of the revenue, which isn't represented by the recruiters. It's the least inspiring part of the business because it contradicts what any edtech company stands for. Product: - The "Product" team is split up by product type, and it's painfully obvious what the company as a whole has been plagued by the "just flashcards" issue. Talk to any user on the street that is between 12-24 years old, and they will say the same thing "I google a question, or a name of a test. I then find the answers and memorize them. with your tools, thanks!" Outside of what you see in the product today, there isn't anything innovative that the company has brought to the table to enable learning, at any level outside of games geared at pre-teens. Users expect a document uploading tool, first and foremost. There is no product difference between coursehero and quizlet, it's just a different skin on the content itself. All this considered, somehow management thinks it's a great idea to grow the employee headcount, significantly. None of us understand why and revenue certainly doesn't reflect the need.

"lots of freedom, learning and improvement based culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Quizlet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* As an engineer, I have complete freedom to work on anything I want to - choose my project, technologies, design, and architecture. Public design reviews help assert that I'm on the right track, and teammates are always available for support. * I joined Quizlet for the product, and I'm excited to see it grow in usage and feature set. * People first policy - wide support community within the company * Learning based culture - common usage of flexible development budget, and regular lunch n learn teaching sessions * Transparent management decisions - regular company meetings explaining thought process behind strategy * Career growth opportunities - almost all manager meetings include an explicit career development section - if you're up for the challenge and responsibility, promotions are always on the table

Cons

* Pay is lower at Quizlet compared to engineering peers at other SF companies * It's no longer a startup - we're less scrappy and more calculated

Continue reading

"I've worked at good place and places, and Quizlet is one of the good ones."

Current Employee - Engineering Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Quizlet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quizlet, at our core, is a values driven organization, and as a result we have a great framework to help guide us through the challenges of a growing tech company. The experience of being part of such a values-driven organization is key to why Quizlet is a great place to work. In engineering where I’m one of the leaders, company core values are brought into our discussions on a daily basis. The value ‘Be an owner’ comes up a lot in supporting the autonomy of engineers who want to try out new ideas. Asking the question ‘Is this helping people learn?’ (the interrogatory form of our core value ‘Help people learn’) quickly aligns our prioritization discussions. We recognize when people ‘Act with Urgency’ to continually deliver the best experience to our users. Through our per-person professional development budget, we encourage everyone to take time to ‘Teach yourself something new’, maybe with a language course or technical conference. And when things get tough as they do in quickly growing technology companies, we remind ourselves that to effectively communicate we need to ‘Be humble, candid, and open’. I’ve worked in organizations where the values were promulgated from on high in a slide deck, then summarily ignored in everyday life. Blessedly, that is not Quizlet. Quizlet is focused on both increasing the diversity of our workforce as well as proactively including all employees throughout our shared company life. One of the ways that our core values guide those efforts comes into sharp relief by what you *won’t* see in our hiring process: a ‘Culture’ interview. Culture interviews are a valiant attempt at preserving a company culture throughout its challenges. While that looks great on the surface, Culture interviews also have the failure mode of overly selecting for candidates that present like the interviewer and share common cultural experiences. This leads to a mono-culture along multiple axes. Quizlet, rather, interviews for its core values through our ‘Leadership Interview’, where we work with our candidates to help identify choices in their own lives that demonstrate our core values. Instead of selecting for candidates who present similarly to the interviewer, we select for candidates who are aligned with our core values and will bring their unique way of meeting challenges to the team. This choice to interview for core values rather than culture by its very nature increases the diversity of our workforce. This in turn both provides more opportunities for each and every employee to be included in company life as well as builds a stronger business. Now for some nitty gritty details. The snacks at Quizlet are great with many healthy options. The offices are comfortable, with opportunities to work both quietly as well as collaboratively. Our corporate technologies help you perform your job from wherever you are located, and meeting norms support remote participation. Many people take public transit, walk, or bike. Lunch is consistently nourishing, and laid out to encourage healthy eating choices and low waste. I’ve worked in way worse office environments in my life, and feel that I lack nothing to be productive. I’ll leave you with the guidance that our CEO consistently gives us at every company discussion: Use good judgement. By trusting our collective good judgement, we’ve achieved that great balance of autonomy and alignment that is critical for any successful company to efficiently navigate the challenges of growth. Combined with a norm of compassionate accountability for when our autonomous decisions don’t work out quite as planned, we support each other in our growth, both personal and career. I love it at Quizlet, and I hope you use your own good judgement to join us.

Cons

No company is perfect, and there are numerous challenges ahead of us, especially in today's economic climate.

"Missing the opportunity -"

1.0
    Former Employee - People Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quizlet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, they have been able to retain some good talent.

Cons

Political environment, Lack of transparency around salary, criteria for promotion, team direction, and priorities. CEO is running this start-up thinking he is still at Google.

Continue reading

"Environment needs major improve my"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quizlet full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some amazing people at Quizlet and some are really there to create and support an amazing product. Lunch was provided everyday and there were amazing weekly meetings that allowed for staff to be recognized and honored for their time at Quizlet. Quizlet’s product is amazing and it has a great amount of potential! We had a lot of users, but many didn’t know about the brains behind the operation, we’re the most popular unpopular company.

Cons

The company has so much potential, but they really need to work on their environment. I worked on the People Ops team, and I had enjoyed my time there, but it came to a point where I realized that this environment was not for me. It was an enjoyable experience to an extent. Our new recruiting manager was simply not a leader. The team was very scattered and there was a lack of respect. Our recruiting analyst was very intrusive and quite harsh. They would constantly over step their boundaries. A sourcer on our team, was quite rude as well and they kept to themselves most of the time, they made it very hard to communicate with them. Working with the engineers was difficult and a lot of them were very snobby! Trying to recruit for a team member for them was difficult because they would reject candidates even though the position was for an L1 or L2. Some candidates had more experience and skill than our current engineers

Continue reading

"Great mission and product, less than great environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - User Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quizlet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers $1k PD budget Some flexibility in working hours / location Tech company perks like free lunch, transportation benefit, etc.

Cons

Poor management No opportunity for career growth Political environment, the hierarchy of the org chart matters a lot here Lack of transparency around salary, criteria for promotion, team direction and priorities

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Quizlet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent executive management team - Talented, mission-driven team members - Metrics-oriented and highly meritocratic - Generous compensation and benefits packages relative to market - Excellent opportunities for career development and advancement - Company pays for lunch four days a week - Generous vacation policy - Excellent culture and values, and budget to continue investing in them!

Cons

- SF-based which means Denver office is still small (but growing fast!) - Small team relative to our user base and revenue, so we work hard!

Found 36 reviews