Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Perry Turbes

Pros
  • great exposure to the oil and gas industry and business (in 19 reviews)

• Great place to learn a lot about the oil and gas business and technology (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is unheard of outside of higher managements (in 20 reviews)

• Inconsistent guidance from upper management (in 14 reviews)

"It is what you put into it"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great place to start a career in energy and technology
    - Learn client's business through building and maintaining the software that runs it
    - Opportunities to move ahead quickly and take on new responsibility as you earn it
    - Most roles interact directly with customers and allow you to build people and technology skills quickly.
    - New products and next generation products are moving to the web and mobil platform. Exciting product direction

Cons

- Not a great place to be if you do not have a motor
    - Will require everyone to become a programmer and have at least basic technology skills to succeed
    - Demanding situations and roles can be stressful

Advice to Management

Focusing on culture and team building are critical as the company grows and gets younger. New user centered product direction and dedicated software teams are a good start in more clearly focusing on product quality to make everyone's work more satisfying.

2. "Division Order Analyst Intern"

Current Intern - Division Order Analyst in College Station, TX
    Current Intern - Division Order Analyst in College Station, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. as an intern

Pros

You are grossly overpaid for the work.

Cons

Balancing school and work can be tough, especially during test weeks. They started becoming less lenient on hours before I left.

They also did not like students studying, regardless of if you were not assigned a division order to work on. This was a deal breaker for me, students should be aware of this.

I found the work relatively meaningless and very boring. At times I thought my boss didn't even know what he was doing and felt the same way as I did.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire part time students, be wary of changes in schedule.

"QBS review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

wide variety of work, good salary, most of the people are nice, potential to grow within the company, good time off

Cons

poor health benefits, poor bonus, poor management

"Good Work Environment Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, diverse work environment with quick upward mobility in the company based on performance.

Cons

Poor health benefits, low employee matching, long work hours (45hour minimum). Struggling Natural Gas industry. Limited help when learning new tasks.

Advice to Management

Beef up the training programs and devote more time to employ development. Increase employee benefits.

"Company places no value in employees"

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time

Pros

It's funny, I actually wrote this review a couple weeks ago, but when I hit submit then, the glassdoor site was down, and then I forgot about reposting this review. Then today I received an email in my inbox saying a new review has been posted for Quorum, and the title reads "Company does not value employees," which is almost identical to the title of the review I wrote a couple weeks ago so I thought it got automatically reposted. Then I read it and found that it's actually somebody else's review, but I guess the consensus is so strong that it turns out "Company does not value employees" is a common title for reviews for Quorum...

Anyway, here's the review...

Pros:

1. I had the opportunity to work with some talented coworkers - intelligent and very dedicated to work (even though underpaid and not getting treated well by the company).

2. It is not a bad place to start a career, but it's not a good place to stay for more than a year or two, as agreed by many, many past and current employees. It's not a bad place to start because the company expects to hire fresh grads with no past software experience or oil and gas experience as long as they are willing to put in 10-12 hours each work day as well as work during weekends for a low pay. It is often difficult to get into a good software company or a good oil and gas company with no previous experience at all, so if that's what you want to do, Quorum can let you into the industry that way. Again, as long as you don't mind getting overworked, underpaid, and not respected by the company.

Cons

The following are my honest opinion based on the years I've spent at the company and based on facts to the best of my knowledge. I'll try to be as open as possible so that this review can be helpful to the reader. As it is an opinion, take it with your own judgement.

1. Pathetically Low Retention Rate and the Company Expects it

If the vast majority of the employees in the company do not stay over a year or two (most of the time less than a year), and the company realizes it and does not think it's a problem at all, it is a very clear sign that the company places no value in its employees.

From what I see in my years at Quorum, the company always hires hundreds of new employees every year (which is a huge percentage given the whole company only has hundreds of employees). In spite of the aggressive hiring numbers, the company size has stayed the same year after year - can you imagine that? Most current employees found this unbelievable and always wonder where did all the hires go? The answer is: the company's extensive effort to keep over-hiring still does not fill the hole because an even higher number of employees decide to leave the company in any given year.

The only thing the company has done to try to clear itself from this image from employees' minds is to brainwash them by repeating this slogan in emails and conference calls and wherever they could: "Quorum is the best place for first class people to work." (Basically whenever upper management has a chance to put this on their lips, they would, so that this brainwashing statement could be heard by employees.)

2. Poor Reputation in the Industry

As I inevitably became discouraged with what's going on in the company, I started working with multiple recruiters outside of the company to explore opportunities, and only then did I truly realize what kind of reputation Quorum has in the industry. Multiple recruiters have told me that Quorum has a reputation of overworking and underpaying its employees, and one recruiter in particular told me that in his career he has placed a large number of individuals from Quorum to other companies as Quorum employees are known by others in the industry to leave Quorum due to getting overworked and underpaid. It is known within the industry that most people who leave the company have bad things to say about it, and Quorum is known to hire fresh grads straight out of college who don't know any better to fill most of the company's openings in order for it to keep running.

3. No Work-Life Balance

Employees are expected to sacrifice work-life balance without much appreciation from management, as the sacrifice is taken for granted. Expect to work 10-12 hours 5 days a week and additional hours on weekends. This is so that the company can sell to its clients a contract where minimal resources and an unrealistically short timeline can be possible. They will try to win clients that way; the expense is employees get overworked and underpaid to make this happen for the company. One time, a project was planned so poorly by the management that the whole team has to work 12-15 hours each day and all weekends to fix everything that goes wrong in the project which lasted for several months. At the end of the project, each employee was given a $50 gift card (yes, $50) to "appreciate" them for the thousands of hours spent working tirelessly for the company.

4. Low Morale

Upper management only cares about making the most amount of money with the fewest resources and does not take any effort to protect employees and only tries to maximize profits. All the employees know that, so team morale is extremely low in the company.

5. Unethical Company (with Specific Stories)

When I was interviewed by an executive before joining the company, I asked him: "What's your favorite part about working at Quorum?" He answered: "This is an ethical company; that's what I like about it." It is an uncommon answer to give. Most of the time if you think about what your favorite part of a company is, you'd maybe think about the people, the work nature, the day-to-day tasks that you enjoy, the encouraging results, appreciation by management and your team, good benefit package and fair compensation, etc. It's not common that the company being ethical is something that would come to mind. Now I finally realize why this came to the executive's mind, as he knew the company is exactly opposite to that, and he answered that as a self-defense mechanism. Here are at least four specific examples that led to this opinion:

i. The company would acquire other smaller software companies and promise to keep their people and leaders on the team then lay them all off including the founders of the acquired companies as soon as Quorum has learned their software and acquired their knowledge.

ii. Because the company is known to hire a huge number of fresh grads who don't know any better to complete 90% of the work at the company, sometimes it's hard to convince clients that the company knows what it's doing. I heard stories from past employees that the company would hire senior-level professionals to get on projects so that the company can get new clients on board, and once the clients are on board, Quorum would lay off the senior professionals to reduce costs. Not sure if using people this way can be considered ethical.

iii. Come up with unrealistic estimates so that clients can sign contract with Quorum due to the seemingly low project budget and attractive promises, then overwork its employees in order to meet the ridiculous estimates, and senior management would blame it all on junior resources for not being able to meet the unreasonable estimates.

iv. If employees ever express any feedback to management or have concerns about a supervisor with proven evidence for the concerns, they will be asked to wait for weeks and weeks until the talent acquisition director finally meets with them and tell them "stick with it, it's your problem, we will do nothing about it." Fortunately, Quorum is not the only employer on the planet, so employees do have a choice if getting mistreated. Trying to misguide employees to tolerate employee mistreatment is unethical.

6. No Mobility Within Company

A friend of mine was a computer science major and had previous software development work experience before Quorum and was hired on board to be a developer. He accepted the offer because Quorum promised it's a development role he's taking. Shortly after joining Quorum, he was moved into a support role where he did not get to write code and was stuck in the role for multiple years. Quorum did not care enough to give him an internal transfer even when new development projects came up even though his talents and interests are clearly in the development area and not support. I have heard multiple stories like this from different employees. Basically, Quorum does not care about employees' career growth and interests.

Bottom line: Come here only if you have absolutely no other choice.

Advice to Management

1. With Quorum's significant employee retention struggles, it is not difficult to see that there is a problem with the management. Employees do talk to each other, so the way the company treats employees will be no secret.

2. Given that the company already has an extremely bad reputation as recognized by experienced recruiters and oil and gas software professionals, I hope the company will realize that reputation is something that’s not easy to fix once damaged and start doing the right things.

3. I had once believed that Quorum is the best place for first class people, and I understand that upper management likes to repeat this line as often as possible so that it can be heard by the employees. Unfortunately, saying something enough times doesn’t make it true. Take action to demonstrate this to employees instead of just repeating this in words. If upper management is lucky enough to hear honest feedback from employees who choose to voice them, take them seriously.

"BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT"

Current Employee - Business Development in Richmond, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Richmond, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quorum provides excellent software products to the energy industry including upstream, midstream, transportation, utility and wind energy. Low oil prices affects the upstream industry but the other industries are still thriving.

Cons

There is no family atmosphere. Do your job and go home. Upper managment does not get out to meet subordinants.

Advice to Management

Upper managment should be more visible.

"Not a traditional consulting firm, make sure you know what you're getting into"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Competitive salary, opportunities to move up the ladder (most employees make senior consultant in 2-3 years), lot of smart and kind people around the office.

Cons

*BEWARE OF HR, THEY WILL SAY YOU QUIT IF YOU GOT FIRED, MEANING NO UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS* Also if you get into either the Support or Development horizontal, you aren't really a consultant. Try to get into the Implementation horizontal if you can. Also, don't expect in depth training to prepare you for your projects. The company kind of just throws you in there and expects you to figure out things on your own. Some people can handle it, some people can't and crack under the pressure.

Advice to Management

Be more honest during your recruiting process, let prospective employees know that you actually look for software developers and customer support reps as well, it's misleading when everyone thinks they're going to be a consultant and ends doing work they never thought they'd do.

"Good experience, high turnover"

Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

Get experience in oil and gas and technology. Responsibilities early on. Training program. Young workplace.

Cons

No company culture or work-life balance. Always an abundance of work because of the high turnover and inexperience of workers in the company. Most people leave within 2-4 years at best, the rest of the company has been there 10 plus years.

Advice to Management

Give something back to your employees

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time

Pros

-Quorum is a fast growing company and thus provides a lot of opportunity for people willing to take advantage of it (especially if you're a more technically minded person)
    -The company is making a big investment in upgrading their technology stack
    -Growing in both number of clients and number of products
    -Good forward vision from executive team
    -A good open door policy where any level can be approached
    -They treat well employees that perform and provide very competitive pay

Cons

-A lot of turn-over at the lower ranks so we constantly having to deal with untrained new hires being put on projects
    -Need to provide more up to date and relevant training to new hires during month long training program
    -Going through growth growing pains (increasing amount of red-tape and management overhead)

Advice to Management

Try to keep as much of our culture as possible as the company grows and resist the temptation to create layers upon layers of management and red-tape.

"Great Opportunities at growing software/consulting company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

1. Quickly obtain high levels of responsibility
    2. Merit based promotions and pay raise. Overall, competitive pay
    3. Few work politics
    4. Quorum is gaining market share in the Upstream area. Already industry leader in Land and Midstream

Cons

1. Growing company leaves areas for improvement. On the flip side, there is no large amounts of red tape or hoops to jump through to do your own job.
    2. In 2014, Quorum was overloaded with new deals. this is tough in the short term, but great in the long term

Note: many of the reviews on here seem to be from individuals who have never had experience in the real world. If you are complaining about 50 hour weeks, you should go get a government job, and not be looking to be a consultant. Company wide, the hours average to about 9 hours a day. Good luck finding anything cushier at the Big Four.

Advice to Management

1. Improve recruiting to prevent the hiring of unmotivated individuals who are afraid of being committed to their job.
    2. Be more strategic with clients to ensure long-term client relationships
    3. Focus on retention of good employees
    4. Emphasize more company culture so that young employees are able to better identify with their career