R.A. Malatest & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Telephone Interviewer"

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have every opportunity to preform in an open and flexible environment. Everyone is working toward the same goal as well learning independently as an individual in a short period of time. Because of the method of these types of projects you are able to discover the nature of your work habits as well as yourself in relation to others in the same situation,

Cons

Budgeting time and money for the success of this project could have been slightly improved.

Advice to Management

Study the results of the past project not just monetization or quantifying the surveys but the overall success/well-being of the employees as well.

2. "Market Research Interviewer"

Pros

it was a very insightful place to work
    the management is very nice, and very knowledgeable of their work
    the major aim to to ensure all employees are comfortable and are very knowledgeable of their surveys so they are willing to coach you on any are you are not confident about
    this is still the best place i have worked so far

Cons

sincerely i have no con regarding this company, i had a great experience working with them.

3. "Amazing Environment!"

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't recommend this company enough! I really enjoyed this job - it is deceptively easy and I was trained extremely well. The supervisors are so helpful and want everyone to do well. I especially appreciated that they came around and gave continuous feedback as I feel that this really improved my performance. Such a positive work environment too! There are opportunities for bonuses and recognition for top performers. You are able to pick your own shifts which is great if you have a busy schedule. Overall, an excellent environment which I would highly recommend for recent graduates.

Cons

The pay is on the low side and the position is contract based. It's not for anyone who dislikes repetitive work. You'll get rude respondents but it's part of the job and you'll be trained well on how to handle them. Also would have appreciated opportunities to advance to other positions (as someone working towards a career in social research).

Advice to Management

Absolutely amazing place to work. Your helpful feedback and positive attitude was very much appreciated. One of the best jobs I have ever had. Keep up the good work!

4. "Great potential"

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time

Pros

Great space, decent work load

Cons

Need more support, find the time and energy to do 1 on 1 coaching.

Advice to Management

Supervise surveyor more seriously, when supervisor chit chat the desk, surveyor would be distracted.

5. "Not a great place to work."

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's rather easy to get a job here, due to high staff turnover. The work can be interesting.

Cons

Malatest pays it's researchers very poorly. Staff quit regularly to find work in government or for other companies. It's nearly impossible to support a family on a Malatest salary. Management is poor, and overall the majority of staff are not content.

Advice to Management

Staff need higher wages. Management should have more training. The CEO needs to value his employees as much as his paycheck. Moral is very low in the offices and staff are dissatisfied.

6. "Flexible scheduling but hours are unreliable"

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Interesting projects to work on
    -Good team in the survey house

Cons

-Unreliable hours
    -Work is monotonous
    -Sometimes you are blamed for not getting enough completed surveys when there are factors out of your control (calling on a holiday, not having people pick up the phone)

Advice to Management

-Listen to surveyors comments and concerns about the survey (wording or sample issues).

7. "interesting work"

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time

Pros

For newcomers and with no experience, Malatest trains you well. the supervisors are very helpful. They are always available for assistance, they always walk around.

Cons

basically a telephonic survey job. so some people might yell at you when you call them. some might be busy. some might not be interested at all.

Advice to Management

We are issued access cards for the elevator and door, so kindly put up a reader inside the office that we can use to sign in and out. this would clear the long queue at the reception desk for signing on and off

8. "work style"

Former Employee - Survey Interviewer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Survey Interviewer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours which allowed student to engage in school workload and supervisors ensure they gave lots of hours required for work

Cons

stiff culture like in military. the workculture was so stiff and had so much rules it felt like being in the military

Advice to Management

accommodate personalities

"TTS Telephone Surveyor"

Current Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Shifts are flexible, able to work around other priorities easily; Great temporary job to bridge you to something else. The contract I'm on is only about 3 months, so it gives you room to find other work if you are in a pinch, the interview was easy and they hired me on the spot.

Cons

Job is micro-managed, you are constantly harassed and told not to use a mouse even if the F1 F2 keys aren't properly responding to the TTS software, monitors are constantly hovering behind you and often interrupt your phone calls usually saying unhelpful things, one coach said I needed to add more notes, another coaching session someone else said I was leaving too many. Not everyone is on the same page and its confusing. Likewise, I was told by one coach to be more personal and interact with clients, another coach at a later date said I should stick to the script only (which means you sound more robotic)... These were actual coaching points that dropped my score on the metrics both times... That means I was docked for both providing too many notes and not enough! LOL No one knows what they are doing. LOL Make no mistake, this is a typical call centre job with all the micro-management you can expect, but if you are in a pinch and need work to bridge you to another career, it is a good temporary option.

Advice to Management

Don't treat workers like they are morons who can't key data by telling them what input method is best and tame down the micro-management. Advice from monitors/coaches was said to be compassionate during training, but really it has been anything but on the floor. Nit-picking gets in the way of good data collection.

"ONLY work here for some extra cash"

Current Employee - I've Had Many Titles At This Company
    Current Employee - I've Had Many Titles At This Company

Pros

Flexibility of hours. Easygoing people. HR (usually) does a great job. They have pizza sometimes. There is a opportunity for advancement quickly if you have any master's degree in an irrelevant subject.

Cons

Contract work. After 7 years, still contract work. I did an excellent job on a recent project, quitting my other work, learning programming languages, wearing 12 hats, not going on vacation, going from knowing nothing about data science to pointing out errors and suggested fixes for the senior analyst's work and creating data structures. Then as thanks for all the hard work, was demoted... And no, there were no marks on my record, management was impressed. But hey, there's "only so many desks"..

Advice to Management

DO NOT rely on optics in making your decisions. Do not lose highly-skilled workers because you don't have room (a lie) or because of current project contracts. Think in the long term: do I need this person? Have we needed them for years? How much would I have to pay someone with an equivalent skill-set and knowledge-base in research if I were to hire externally?
    Also, the honest truth: don't be evil. Yes money uber alles, but remember it is a company of people and you need to respect the needs of people.
    Such as not having to slouch in to work feeling defeated after exhausting themselves entirely for a years doing excellent work for you.