R.H. Donnelley Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "2014 resume"

Current Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential income,
    Promotions,
    Self managed,
    People, great team
    Great management

Cons

Old Technology
    Old Technology

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "One of my favorite Careers and Businesses to have had the pleasure of working for!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training and Base Pay Increase while going through two months of very informative and useful information that will stay with you and help you with any career down the road.
    Great Teamworking help even though you are only resposible for yourself, everyone there is friendly and always willing to help you grow and become better. As long as your serious and motivated with a proven track record you only have to "show face" twice a week. Ultimate Road Warrior B2B Account Executive Role, Company provided you will all office material supplies, unlimeted printing and resources out of office that you could access and work 24/7. Company provided Laptop with wifi card, in 2008 & 2009 you recieved $700/mo car allowance and $100/mo Cell Phone Allowance. Your cell phone was on your business card, best idea is to add a line to your current cellular account for $10/mo and increase your minutes and share between two numbers - one soley for work where you can store all sorts of sales and reminder notes. Facinating learning all about different businesses and industries and seeing how owners light up when you ask them about how they started their business and why and just generally why they love it so.

Cons

Even though I asked numerous times how to check that I was being properly paid the correct dollar amount on commisions with all the different levels and tiers and changing percentages I was never shown how and I had to go on good faith that I was properly paid all commissions. My last month there I closed a lot of accounts and it was a month before the clothes of the quarter sales cycle with a lot of my accounts not just renewing, but increasing - Yet A month later I got the letter of R.H. Donnelley Filling Bankruptcy and then a month after that when the quarter ended and commissions were paid I got a check for $24. With no way of showing that it was wrong and knowing how to calculate my own commissions so that I could have had a general range in mind for that check. I can tell you there is no way on earth it was $24 - no way.
    Sometimes they can give you territories that are very far from where they know you live which can be very costly and time consuming. I lived almost in wisconsin and the base office was in Arlington Heights, yet I had territories in Algonquin-Crystal Lake-West Dundee-Deer Park- My Closest territoty was Waukegan and 20 miles from my home, but it was also a horrible territory with a mojority of my reccurring customers all out of business at that time. I think one of the things I least liked about working for DeX was out of your 75 current accounts to renew/upgrade in the 3 months that you had to close, plus prospect and add new businesses, but you had to handle collections for the businesses that were in your territory. If you couldn't get them current before the close of the quarter then they couldn't renew and whatever they had before and maybe weren't paying for 6 month would count against you as a loss and most of the time it was considerable. The worst was that businesses that went out of business within that year contract with Dex and literly had no store front or filed BK were still counted against you and your total % of closed accounts and Dollars

Advice to Management

Try and assign outside territories closer to reps home base, dont add collections to a reps responsabilites and if those accounts aren't brought current or renewed don't penalize the new rep who never sold it to them in the first place. If your going to make reps resposible for collections then don't have the reps territory change each year and make the rep who sold the contract to the said customer responsible for getting them current. After all that rep was the one who made the commission of the sale, not the new rep. Additionally don't let businesses that go out of business affect your percentages or dollars for the quarter. It simply is out of the reps control that a business in their territory has been out of business for months or hasn't paid in months and are struggling to stay in business to be the reps responsability and that they should put in their time and effort try to collect on accounts that may come current but obviously know they cant afford to commit for another year. Out of all the excellet computer programs you have for training and resources and research I hope that by now you have created a program for your reps that will calculate their expected commissions and a way for the reps to check and confirm that accounts were closed properly and that they were paid as promised. I hope you are still doing the excellent training and the outstanding base pay with car and phone allowance because it was exstremely helpful and appreciated.

3. "Living in the past"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good performance based bonus opportunities, good place to get your feet wet

Cons

- Antiquated sales process, training, products
    - Limited vision
    - Regular roll out of unproven products
    - Poor employee development
    - Career track to mgmt determined ONLY by sales results

Advice to Management

- Add emphasis on skills & career development with employees
    - Concentrate on your customers, LISTEN to them. They are under appreciated, receive very limited service, and often times feel 'duped.'
    - Consider investing in employees for long term career advancement. A lot of time & $$ is spent hiring, training, firing yet turnover is regular.

4. "Company going thru so many changes/unexpected layoffs"

Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The hourly pay is good. Don't feel micro-managed. Able to take off with no questions asked should something come up unexpectedly, such as car repairs, child's illness or some other emergency.

Cons

Bonus based on number of dollars collected, however the distribution of accounts are system generated. Some are at an advantage because the balances that are being collected on are higher so they stand a better chance of collecting a monthly bonus.

Advice to Management

This is very rare. Usually dead end.

5. "Management gets in the way and very distrustful"

Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Best reason to work for R.H. Donnelley...or Dex...or Dex One...or whatever our name is next month is the 7-week sales training you recieve (top-notch) and the sales experience you recieve while on the job. The new commission structure is a big improvement. Depending on your manager, the job can be fun and rewarding if you're up for the challenge.

Cons

-The TOP REPS continuously quit due to micro-management or are terminated for minor issues (very bizarre for a "sales" organization

-Management and HR too closely knit (dispute resolution non-existent)

-Managers more focused on your whereabouts than on results...consistently calling you on cell throughout the day asking for updates and the very popular "WHERE ARE YOU?" Very weird considering they have our daily apppt schedules. Managers must definately be going stir-crazy in their offices, paranoid that their reps are sitting at the pool drinking mai-tai's. This is of course impossible considering the workload of closing 100+ accounts in a matter of months and the fact that WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY, which you can't do if you're not making new sales.

-Office vibe and the sales meetings are right out of the "Twilight Zone"

-Being successful at outside sales is a skill with a lot of creativity involved, their looking for robots who can set appts, not professionals who can sell

-Everyone always wondering why the top reps are always leaving company without having other job lined up in a horrible economy while they were making great money here. Something very strange going on behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

Get message to division sales managers to lay off the outside sales reps and let us do what we were hired to do...SELL! Get off our backs and get a grip! Too much negativity and micro-management. Not enough positive leadership.

6. "Decent entry level job but far from a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

They have a great training program which prepares you for better positions elsewhere. Furthermore, the name looks GREAT on your resume! Due to the company's stellar reputation working there definitely opens lots of doors for better sales careers in the future. If your fresh out of college or looking to gain B2B sales experience from a good compnay I'd suggest you work there, get in two years of experience and find a position with a more career oriented company that pays a high base salry and competitive commissions. Aside from that the benefits are above average!

Cons

the pay is just ok. It's also extremely hard to get promoted even when you have great numbers. They promote based on popularity.

Advice to Management

stop promoting based on popularity and promote based on job performance.

7. "Under-paid, mismanaged and disrespected ... other than that, it's a great job ;)"

Current Employee - Sales "Prospector" - New Business Development in Englewood, CO

Pros

The only thing I can recommend about this particular sales function (Prospector) at Dex is the regular (8-5; Mon-Fri) hours in a reasonably attractive, well furnished office environment.

Cons

Not only are you under-paid, the Prospector sales role is disrespected within the rest of the organization. You are tasked with cold-calling businesses that have said no to Dex yellow page advertising for multiple years. I could go on and on, but I don't have the time. Bottom line: do not believe the hype they pitch to you during the Prospector interview process ... that you can make up to $65K your first year ... maybe sales reps used to make that 10 years ago, but now reps who have been working the job for over 2 years typically make half of that. This is a low paying, low respect sales job in a dying (bankrupt) organization.

Advice to Management

Forget about sales call quotas and office politics and focus on revenue. Treat new business and new business reps like gold. Pay your reps well for any new business because that is the only chance Dex has for a future.

8. "Only would recommend this place to someone straight out of college that is having a hard time finding a job."

Current Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Tinley Park, IL

Pros

Great coworkers. It does have the potential to get back to the way it used to be and be a fun place to go to everyday, but right now it doesnt look like that is going to come anytime soon, if at all.

Cons

Very aggressive Micromanagement, tough sale of print advertising. Online products are lacking what is needed to compete

Advice to Management

Please quit instead of blaming your sales team and laying them off. I believe it is your fault the company is in the position it currently is

9. "great place to work"

Pros

freedom to take care of business and close accounts without micro management.

Cons

three different office in three different towns meant tons of windshield time.

Advice to Management

expand coaching

10. "Inside Sales Representative"

Pros

Great co-workers, fun "team building" events if you are a single young adult. A few of the consultants that worked there were extremely knowledgable and great resources for help and information.

Cons

Micromanaged, all calls were recorded and management would often play them back to re-hash what had been discussed during the sales pitch. Sales pitch consisted of reading from a script to , colleagues did not always use ethical sales tactics. I was not a huge fan of inside sales in general, I'd rather be face to face with a sales contact. Unfortunately, my office location was in O'Hare so it was a long commute from the central city as well.