R.H. Donnelley Reviews | Glassdoor

R.H. Donnelley Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One of my favorite Careers and Businesses to have had the pleasure of working for!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training and Base Pay Increase while going through two months of very informative and useful information that will stay with you and help you with any career down the road.
    Great Teamworking help even though you are only resposible for yourself, everyone there is friendly and always willing to help you grow and become better. As long as your serious and motivated with a proven track record you only have to "show face" twice a week. Ultimate Road Warrior B2B Account Executive Role, Company provided you will all office material supplies, unlimeted printing and resources out of office that you could access and work 24/7. Company provided Laptop with wifi card, in 2008 & 2009 you recieved $700/mo car allowance and $100/mo Cell Phone Allowance. Your cell phone was on your business card, best idea is to add a line to your current cellular account for $10/mo and increase your minutes and share between two numbers - one soley for work where you can store all sorts of sales and reminder notes. Facinating learning all about different businesses and industries and seeing how owners light up when you ask them about how they started their business and why and just generally why they love it so.

Cons

Even though I asked numerous times how to check that I was being properly paid the correct dollar amount on commisions with all the different levels and tiers and changing percentages I was never shown how and I had to go on good faith that I was properly paid all commissions. My last month there I closed a lot of accounts and it was a month before the clothes of the quarter sales cycle with a lot of my accounts not just renewing, but increasing - Yet A month later I got the letter of R.H. Donnelley Filling Bankruptcy and then a month after that when the quarter ended and commissions were paid I got a check for $24. With no way of showing that it was wrong and knowing how to calculate my own commissions so that I could have had a general range in mind for that check. I can tell you there is no way on earth it was $24 - no way.
    Sometimes they can give you territories that are very far from where they know you live which can be very costly and time consuming. I lived almost in wisconsin and the base office was in Arlington Heights, yet I had territories in Algonquin-Crystal Lake-West Dundee-Deer Park- My Closest territoty was Waukegan and 20 miles from my home, but it was also a horrible territory with a mojority of my reccurring customers all out of business at that time. I think one of the things I least liked about working for DeX was out of your 75 current accounts to renew/upgrade in the 3 months that you had to close, plus prospect and add new businesses, but you had to handle collections for the businesses that were in your territory. If you couldn't get them current before the close of the quarter then they couldn't renew and whatever they had before and maybe weren't paying for 6 month would count against you as a loss and most of the time it was considerable. The worst was that businesses that went out of business within that year contract with Dex and literly had no store front or filed BK were still counted against you and your total % of closed accounts and Dollars

Advice to Management

Try and assign outside territories closer to reps home base, dont add collections to a reps responsabilites and if those accounts aren't brought current or renewed don't penalize the new rep who never sold it to them in the first place. If your going to make reps resposible for collections then don't have the reps territory change each year and make the rep who sold the contract to the said customer responsible for getting them current. After all that rep was the one who made the commission of the sale, not the new rep. Additionally don't let businesses that go out of business affect your percentages or dollars for the quarter. It simply is out of the reps control that a business in their territory has been out of business for months or hasn't paid in months and are struggling to stay in business to be the reps responsability and that they should put in their time and effort try to collect on accounts that may come current but obviously know they cant afford to commit for another year. Out of all the excellet computer programs you have for training and resources and research I hope that by now you have created a program for your reps that will calculate their expected commissions and a way for the reps to check and confirm that accounts were closed properly and that they were paid as promised. I hope you are still doing the excellent training and the outstanding base pay with car and phone allowance because it was exstremely helpful and appreciated.

2. "Living in the past"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good performance based bonus opportunities, good place to get your feet wet

Cons

- Antiquated sales process, training, products
    - Limited vision
    - Regular roll out of unproven products
    - Poor employee development
    - Career track to mgmt determined ONLY by sales results

Advice to Management

- Add emphasis on skills & career development with employees
    - Concentrate on your customers, LISTEN to them. They are under appreciated, receive very limited service, and often times feel 'duped.'
    - Consider investing in employees for long term career advancement. A lot of time & $$ is spent hiring, training, firing yet turnover is regular.

3. "Great Company until R.H. Donnelley took over"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Still pays very well if you can convince customers that YP's are still a good investment. Internet product is crappy but most small businesses don't know any better. Easier to sell.

Cons

Upper Management is trying to squeeze the last dollars out of advertising base before the product becomes completely obsolete. Lots and lots of pressure for hard core selling and closing.

Advice to Management

Stop all of the non productive busy work. It seems like the main event is the company is filling out enough paperwork so your boss can justify to her boss that you're working.

4. "I did well, despite management."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Fair benefits package. Decent vacation and pto time. Fellow employees are good people.

Cons

Micro management. Managers have less experience in sales than sales team and no management skills. Upper management targets employees they don't like until they quit. Lack of support staff and who they do have are overworked.

Advice to Management

Sales is a tough job, management needs to support and encourage employees. If you care about your employees they will care about your company and do well. It's that simple

5. "Good, Solid Starting Sales Position"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Pros

If you work at it you will be successful.
    The people that you work with are all excellent. Everyone gets along well.
    They have a very good sales training program if you have not been in sales before. If you have, you will find it a bit remedial, but you will be prepared to sell your products if you fully participate.
    Advancement is usually by performance.
    If you are average you will not have to worry about your job.
    Great springboard into other sales careers. If you can sell this, you can sell anything.

Cons

Yellow Pages is a Dying industry
    The internet programs that are sold are now behind the rest of their competitors.
    The comp plan keeps going down, down. You will work harder for less money.
    The new micro-management platform is awful and stifling.
    If you are a performer, management will do everything possible to keep you in sales and out of management.

Advice to Management

Advance your systems. Stop trying to feed the sales force information that just isn't true. We all know that yellow pages are dying.
    Do something to build back the trust of your customers.

6. "Company going thru so many changes/unexpected layoffs"

Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The hourly pay is good. Don't feel micro-managed. Able to take off with no questions asked should something come up unexpectedly, such as car repairs, child's illness or some other emergency.

Cons

Bonus based on number of dollars collected, however the distribution of accounts are system generated. Some are at an advantage because the balances that are being collected on are higher so they stand a better chance of collecting a monthly bonus.

Advice to Management

This is very rare. Usually dead end.

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

This company offers great earning potential. You can earn over $100k with some hard work. Lots of recognition if you are a top performer. Nice incentives and bonus opportunities. Great company trips.

Cons

No respect for employees. You are truely judged by your numbers alone. The company is insensitive to the economy or any other factors that are out of your control. Sales reps are held accountable for customers who are delinquent due to financial hardships. Management expects you to collect money from customer by any means necessary. The atmosphere is very tense and you always feel insecure as if you could lose your job at any time. Even senior reps have no security and always feel on edge. Finally, there is a lot of nepotism.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with sincerety and concern. Not like a machine where you are only interested in what they can produce. I believe reps will work harder if they know management is "in the trenches" with them .

8. "Glorified Data Entry Job"

Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

A job is better than no job in a down economy. Its indoors, and they don't physically beat employees. Pay is so-so.

Cons

Bad management. The company is a dinosaur, and unwilling to look to the future, is on its way out of business.

Advice to Management

Stop spending billions on antiquated Yellow Pages Products. Your search product is a joke. Nobody buys that its a better alternative to google for local search. Know why...? because we all use google and experience tells us this is not the case!

9. "Management gets in the way and very distrustful"

Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Best reason to work for R.H. Donnelley...or Dex...or Dex One...or whatever our name is next month is the 7-week sales training you recieve (top-notch) and the sales experience you recieve while on the job. The new commission structure is a big improvement. Depending on your manager, the job can be fun and rewarding if you're up for the challenge.

Cons

-The TOP REPS continuously quit due to micro-management or are terminated for minor issues (very bizarre for a "sales" organization

-Management and HR too closely knit (dispute resolution non-existent)

-Managers more focused on your whereabouts than on results...consistently calling you on cell throughout the day asking for updates and the very popular "WHERE ARE YOU?" Very weird considering they have our daily apppt schedules. Managers must definately be going stir-crazy in their offices, paranoid that their reps are sitting at the pool drinking mai-tai's. This is of course impossible considering the workload of closing 100+ accounts in a matter of months and the fact that WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY, which you can't do if you're not making new sales.

-Office vibe and the sales meetings are right out of the "Twilight Zone"

-Being successful at outside sales is a skill with a lot of creativity involved, their looking for robots who can set appts, not professionals who can sell

-Everyone always wondering why the top reps are always leaving company without having other job lined up in a horrible economy while they were making great money here. Something very strange going on behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

Get message to division sales managers to lay off the outside sales reps and let us do what we were hired to do...SELL! Get off our backs and get a grip! Too much negativity and micro-management. Not enough positive leadership.

10. "Decent entry level job but far from a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

They have a great training program which prepares you for better positions elsewhere. Furthermore, the name looks GREAT on your resume! Due to the company's stellar reputation working there definitely opens lots of doors for better sales careers in the future. If your fresh out of college or looking to gain B2B sales experience from a good compnay I'd suggest you work there, get in two years of experience and find a position with a more career oriented company that pays a high base salry and competitive commissions. Aside from that the benefits are above average!

Cons

the pay is just ok. It's also extremely hard to get promoted even when you have great numbers. They promote based on popularity.

Advice to Management

stop promoting based on popularity and promote based on job performance.