R.J. O'Brien Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Gerry Corcoran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Customer Accounts workplace experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great Manager
    After you have demonstrated ability to fulfill the work, then you are given space to continue doing work unless you need to ask for help
    Decent hours

Cons

Tedious work
    Customer Accounts is often undermined in comparison to other departments
    Little room for advancement

Advice to Management

I would make customer accounts a training program, in which you could be advanced from in 1-2years. Otherwise, it is a dead-end job for those you employ.

"Disgusting management culture."

I worked at R.J. O'Brien full-time

Pros

I very generously have decided to give this firm two stars instead of one for a few reasons:
    -CEO, Mr. Corcoran, is a cool guy. Fist-bumped me once in the elevator. Judging by the fact that he has personally responded to postings here, I'd say he generally cares about the well-being of his employees, and that's a good thing.
    -This is a prestigious firm. They have a been around for over a hundred years and are one of the largest/most successful companies in the industry.
    -Brilliant developers who actually know what they are doing. They deserve respect.
    -Convenient location; very nice building and amenities. I appreciate the homage to the companies' Irish-American roots.

Cons

Rampant hypocrisy among managers. Bosses lead from behind. Mentoring is vitriolic and poor. Training is basically non-existent (telling an employee "Go on the wiki" is not training, you utter morons). Constant blame-game/finger-pointing. Minor mistakes get you written up. Wording an email in a way a manager disagrees with, even if it is otherwise worded professionally, will get you called into their office. I was constantly reprimanded for asking questions on important subjects with regard to business processes. I was also expected to work flawlessly and quickly- that is a trio for disaster. Ironically enough he was taught to do his job by the people working under him- how many questions did he have to ask when he was starting out? Manager was so incompetent and hypocritical it was like a cartoon. Excessively stressful/hostile environment does not solve fundamental problems related to training- rather, it will more often than not cause more mistakes. Bosses don't even show up. Mine showed up maybe three out of five days a week- you can't convince me he was using PTO every time he did that. Sending one or two emails from the comfort of your big house in the suburbs is not "working from home". Unfortunately this poor behavior trickles down. If your boss doesn't like you, be prepared to work six to seven days a week and not be compensated for the hours not included in your typical five day work-week. Textbook preferential treatment. I was constantly assigned complex weekend tasks to the point where I couldn't even look forward to the weekend. Sometimes, I would be assigned to do tasks at night-time, past when I would normally go to sleep, and this had a negative effect on my health. I had several other health issues I was dealing with while I was there. I experienced the loss of a close family member while I was there and no one cut me any slack while I was dealing with that. My bi-weekly meetings were frequently cancelled without me even being notified (in other cases involving other employees, they would be notified if their meeting was to be cancelled or bumped forward). So I would prepare for these meetings with my manager in order to properly communicate my needs, and he would purposefully treat me as though I was totally unimportant. He frequently lied to me while I was at RJO. He also mocked/insulted me several times throughout my stay there. Additionally, this guy actually wanted to get other people in the company fired and would basically look for things to blame on people. It is because he knows that ultimately, he is powerless, and for that I pity him. He himself makes major mistakes all the time, ones that have serious implications for the company. Yet no one does anything about it. Rather than improving his own performance he is more concerned about bringing other people around him down. NEWSFLASH: Young employees with no experience in the corporate world are going to make minor mistakes. It just happens. You simply cannot go into melt-down mode every-time it happens, especially if you are not taking the time to provide any real training whatsoever.

Advice to Management

END "WORK FROM HOME". Your employees are abusing it, and this policy is going to cause problems for everyone involved.

I know you are tired, over-weight, past your glory days, and stuck in a miserable marriage. That is not my fault- DEAL WITH IT. Your job is to mentor and solve problems. Not create more problems. If your kid is getting bullied in school, you are not going to make your life any better by bullying your employees. Step up, task responsibility for your life and your work, and stop blaming other people for your failures.

R.J. O'Brien Response

Aug 14, 2017 – CEO

At RJO, we strive to provide a productive and collaborative workplace culture, consistently using our company values as our compass. I have reviewed your comments and I regret that you had a bad... More

"Worst culture ever"

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible PTO days
    Flexible hours for some

Cons

This place has the worst culture I have ever seen. People are miserable and not afraid to share their misery.

R.J. O'Brien Response

Aug 9, 2017 – CEO

At RJO, we strive to provide a productive and collaborative workplace culture, consistently using our company values as our compass. From time to time, we understand that employees have a bad day or... More

4. "ticket coordinator"

Current Employee - Ticket Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ticket Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

There are no cons here.

5. "Experience"

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time

Pros

Co-Workers make it enjoyable to work with.

Cons

No growth within the company.

6. "Good place, hard market."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at R.J. O'Brien full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid place. Very straightforward. Honest guys.

Cons

Industry and shop are facing changes in the market and they will need to adapt.
    Kind of one dimensional.
    Eat what you kill.

Advice to Management

Good question.

7. "Runner"

Pros

Great people to work with on the floor

Cons

Disconnect between floor and office employees hard to move up

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Vice President of Institutional Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President of Institutional Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.J. O'Brien (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, management is very laid back

Cons

The industry itself is going through a tough time

"ok"

Pros

O'Brien is a great place to work

Cons

too busy, not enough employees for the workload

"NOT good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.J. O'Brien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Benefits are decent but cost is very high

Cons

* Work load is extremely high for below market salaries, no room for advancement
    * 24/7 support is required, no OT compensation
    * Employees at same level are not treated equally, management plays favorites
    * Big bucks are paid to consultants for basic tasks
    * Company failed to provide raises the last 2 years
    * Employees turn over rate is high

Advice to Management

* None, management don't care