R+L Carriers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Ralph Larry Roberts, Sr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay , care about the employee's , willing to help if someone needs help" (in 20 reviews)

• "Decent pay, after a year decent 401k" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't really get praised by upper management by doing a good job" (in 13 reviews)

• "No overtime, straight pay all the way" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good place to work and a really nice boss."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and a good interaction with others.

Cons

Freezers are extremely cold, but it is a cold storage facility.

2. "Annoyed"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. good people at the home terminal for the most part. Good benefits

Cons

Corporate office doesn’t let the terminal manager run the terminal. Drivers are in charge and dictate what they are going to do. Management not allowed to have a backbone without driver calling the upper management.

Advice to Management

Quit letting drivers do what they want and let the terminal be ran by the local management. There are too many returns missed appointments and damaged freight because the drivers are not held responsible.

3. "R+L Carriers"

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free Employee Resorts, Pay is competitive. Work is rewarding when everything is running smoothly.

Cons

Poor training, upper management has very high expectations with little help to achieve goals.

Advice to Management

Offer better recruiting options

4. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent direct manager support.

Cons

Share the corporate direction with the local teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support to your local managers and sales team.

"Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay Is good if you’re a driver

Cons

Need more people there trying though to get people

"linehauldriver"

Former Employee - Linehaul Driver in Hatfield, PA
    Former Employee - Linehaul Driver in Hatfield, PA

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

excellent pay good equipmentgood dispatchers

Cons

long hourswork in bad weather

7. "Poor Management"

Current Employee - City Dispatch Manager in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - City Dispatch Manager in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent and reasonable priced benefits. Decent pay. Job security. Nice office environment and cleaned daily. Nice and reasonably priced cafe at the main terminal in Wilmington.

Cons

Very poor management. Management doesn’t lead by example. Not everyone is treated the same. Better job you do then more expect and harder work given versus getting praise. A lot of finger pointing especially to the lower levels leading to things never getting fixed but just a name to take the blame.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Be fair and honest.

"Stressful"

Pros

Some co workers are okay, pay is alright

Cons

Managers do not practice what they preach, you will get treated like a child and your hard work will never pay off, SAVE YOUR TIME.

Advice to Management

No one will listen, not going to waste my time.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

R+L is a family run company and the family is heavily involved(rare). There are not only opportunities to work and build your career but also to learn things every day! Transportation/Supply chain is a challenging industry, but each day is different keeping you on your toes. They have competitive benefits and resorts you can stay at for free, yes I said free. Love the atmosphere and coworkers.

Cons

Like any career, you have good days and bad days. If you are unhappy in your department, try another before leaving the company. Several options to find a good fit.

Advice to Management

N/A

"It’s Not What You Know, It’s Who You Know"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wilmington, OH

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To be honest, there does seem to be less drama in this department than others. As for an environment, one can come into work and then go home and leave it behind.

Cons

I think that a lot of Inside Sales employees are brought on board without a clear description of incentives and are promised that there are more ways of earning incentives that are being brought on in the near future (this is not the truth.) Commission can only be earned by earning more than $6,000.00 in Global and/or TL. And after that commission is only 2% There is only a small LTL bonus of around $80.00 for 3 months of consecutive $3,000.00 in revenue. One must also track your own commissions because the “system” has no way of tracking Inside Sale’s shipments for reasons of commission. And you are even warned from management that the “reports” are not accurate. It doesn’t seem reliable that a Sales Department cannot track your Sales. Another area of disappointment is that Inside Sales is pitted against Outside Sales right from the beginning. It is a shame that we had to fight against our own company. (On a side note, the Revenue for Inside Sales and Outside Sales is “fugded.” They use the same revenue from Inside Sales in the same reports for Outside Sales and visa versa. In other words, they count revenue twice and act like it’s separate revenue.) What is unprofessional is that it is preached to Inside Sales that our “work” will be defended and we will always get backed by our management to keep our revenue and commissions but in the end, Inside Sales management did Not have any say- multiple cases of revenue and shipments were taken away from Inside Sales and given to the Outside rep. There is almost 0% respect for the Inside Sales position. What is frustrating is that if that is the way the format was and is supposed to be, then that should be explained to Inside Sales- stop preaching that their/our work was going to be defended if it couldn’t be done. I would rather be told the truth because it is known that no system is perfect. But being overpromised and undelivered to leaves much to be desired and takes away the motivation to work because there is always the chance that not only are you going to have to work hard but you might have to work twice or thrice as hard to keep the revenue/commissions that you achieved. The system and the way that Inside Sales is represented is not going to produce success. I do not see the department lasting another 2-3 years without some major changes.

Advice to Management

Management should not speak to other employees about other employees. There is no confidentiality. One shouldn’t have to worry that information that is shared with management will be shared with other employees. There was also multiple examples where management shows a lack of restraint and respect for the employees. Both examples include yelling at employees. Both were also females. I couldn’t and didn’t see that happen to any male employees. There was also a time wherein religion and transgender sexuality were spoken about in the workplace in a context that management should not have been engaged in- I believe that there should be additional management training so that it addresses respect, confidentiality, religion, female discrimination, and rage.