R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. Reviews

Updated Sep 28, 2019

Found 120 reviews

3.2
R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. CEO Pete Biocini (no image)
Pete Biocini
Pros
  • "This company has great benefits and really takes care of its employees(in 9 reviews)

• "They have an excellent benefits package & standard 401k(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't get me wrong the outside sales people still make nothing, but compared to inside sales they make tons(in 9 reviews)

• "There are two different paths for an inside sales rep to go, they can try to be promoted to an(in 6 reviews)

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to grow and develop a long term career

Cons

You have to work hard and prove your worth if that’s a negative. . .

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-07-27

July 29, 2019Human Resources

We are happy to hear your time with R.S. Hughes was positive. We appreciate your time and feedback. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

"Dont work here if you want to advance"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Pacoima, CA

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, benefits and work life balance

Cons

No room for growth, low paying and very little room for raises...lots of hard paperwork with very little compensation. Wasnt a terrible job. it's just boring talking about tape and glue all day...only work here if you are content making 45k forever. Out of date technology and website.

Advice to Management

Create more advancement opportunities.

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-09-28

October 7, 2019Human Resources

We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the benefits and culture we offer. Sharing your personal feedback helps us continue our efforts to grow and learn from the experiences of individual team members so we can find ways to improve for all. Thanks for being a part of our team, best of luck to you!

3. "An Understanding of RS Hughes"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager/Supply Chain Solutions in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you work hard, have half a brain and follow the game plan presented, it can be a good career opportunity. I was treated very well for the nearly 5 years I was there. Competitive benefits package. My personal salary was solid and I was looked out for. They found opportunities for me to grow in the company even when I was disatisfied. They are concerned for employees, their families and will support them... when there are issues. They gave people more chances than I would on many occasions. They were trying very hard to be competitive in the E space (with limited funding). My 3 stars does not mean Hughes is a bad place to work. It means that it is average. It isn't any better or worse than most companies.

Cons

They gave people too many chances. Often you may be hamstrung by the quality of those around you. Top management (as most) had a conflict between investing for the future and maximizing the monthly bottom line which hindered real investments in growth (similar to many companies). Starting wages for entry level employees was far too low. They often get new employees which were 2 steps below needs. Although, one VP... started paying more competitive wages, quality of employees went up as well, along with work product quality and quantity and sales for that area. For some... It's a blue collar company. Work more/ harder was too often the solution when smart thinking and strategic investment of time and money nets bigger wins.

Advice to Management

Take a chance and pay people more. If that new hire isn't a fit then cut them loose quicky and how much have you really lost? Explore the opportunity lost by simply being busy even if you think it is what has worked for 60 years. Get rid of people who hold Hughes back.

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-09-19

September 24, 2019Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to leave such an in-depth summary of your time with us and for offering some valuable suggestions based on your experience. Creating an environment where everyone feels comfortable enough to bring questions or concerns to us at any time is very important to us, and we are sad that we did not have the opportunity to work with you on these while you were here. It is great to hear that you felt our genuine care for you and your family, and we will do our best to continue to practice this with all of our current and future team members. We are very thankful that you were part of our team for such a substantial amount of time, and we wish you the absolute best on your next endeavor.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative/Operations

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Out of college, this job offers great options for career advancement. If you join a training division, you will not only learn the skills needed to succeed in the industry, but also make many industry connections along the way. As long as you put in your work, the company will work with you and stand by you to a fault. I have 0 regrets with my almost 3 years of experience and would recommend this career to anyone... looking for a great start in the industrial field.

Cons

Hours can be long during busy time. Management structure needs to work on being on the same page from top to bottom. The starting salary wasn’t the greatest when I started, but when performance was recognized that salary quickly changed.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency between upper management, lower management and base level employees

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-08-15

September 18, 2019Human Resources

Your time with R.S. Hughes is what we hope all team members will experience when they start a career with us. We are very happy to hear that you would recommend joining our team! We will continue to look for ways to develop a strong communication with all channels of the company in efforts to continue our growth as a whole.

5. "Find something else"

Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people keeps you busy always something new

Cons

horrible structure. Overwork and underpaid.

Advice to Management

pay more

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-08-13

September 18, 2019Human Resources

We are sad to see that you are no longer a part of our team, but we thank you for your time with us. We are always looking for ways to improve as a company, and feedback like yours enables us to continue to do so. It is great to hear that you enjoyed working with your team here at R.S. Hughes and we wish you the very best.

6. "An ok job. Not a forever job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers with a great understanding that “life happens sometimes”. No micromanaging. Lots of free lunch

Cons

Old software and old school process. Human error is high. Upgraded systems and RF guns would help a lot. Non-insulated warehouse. Always understaffed.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your systems

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-08-07

September 12, 2019Human Resources

We appreciate your comments, and we’re glad you’re on our team! Improving our systems, on both the front and back end, is an ongoing project that is a priority to us, though it takes some time and diligence to make sure it is done right. We encourage you to share any input/suggestions directly with your manager, as it is highly valued. We want all of our team members to have the resources and tools to do their best work here at R.S. Hughes. Your growth is important to us, and we hope we can offer you a long-term career with our company.

"I want to work at a company that recognizes and rewards performance."

Current Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I have been working at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

R.S. Hughes is great place to work. I only wish I had started my career here. R.S. Hughes is employee owned. That structure allows R.S. Hughes to have the “long” view versus managing by the fiscal quarter. It also allows for advancement within the organization. If you want to be rewarded for exceptional work, this is the place. Employees are not stuck with minimal cost of living increases, we benefit as the... company benefits. At the same time, working for a company that genuinely cares for their employees is important. For example, after my first year here, I was diagnosed with cancer. R.S. Hughes rallied around me and supported me through my recovery. Huge, to know your company has your back when the worst happens to you personally. In 2009 during the great recession when companies were laying people off regularly, R.S. Hughes didn’t lay off anyone . We did earn less as the company earned less, but we kept our jobs and our benefits. None of the previous places I have worked operate that way.

Cons

Industrial distribution sales can be tough to get started in. In fact, if you think about most sales careers, it is hard to get established. You have to build it and that can be difficult. As such, one has to be patient, especially if you are new to the industry. However, as you establish your business and your personal reputation, this is a great industry to work in and R.S. Hughes is a unique in their... approach.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee suggestions. Keep R.S. Hughes special to our customers and our team.

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-04-29

May 2, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and leave your feedback. We are happy to hear your career with R.S. Hughes has been positive and prosperous! Our team and our wonderful customers are what make R.S. Hughes such a great company. We value every team member’s suggestions and look forward to continuing to listen and grow together!

8. "Great start to a long term career for recent grads!"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Management was awesome - Friendly environment - Tons of learning - Amazing first sales job for people just starting their career - Car allowance - PTO / Vacation - Benefits The management team in LA was great! The outside manager, inside manager, and supervisor are the main reason I stayed with the company while I did. I started out as an inside sales rep and was promoted to outside sales. I really... enjoyed learning so much from this company. It was a great first job straight out of college, and I hope this company continues to help others like myself. This review is for the LA branch, all branches within this company are pretty different and I cant speak to other locations. But all the support to the LA branch.

Cons

Website was a bit outdated, but what can you do

Advice to Management

No advice - but thanks for always making the employees feel welcomed

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-03-05

March 7, 2019HR Generalist

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your role and felt supported by the management team in our LA office. We are always working to make improvements throughout the company and our website is included in these efforts. Again, thank you for the feedback and best of luck in your future endeavors!

"WOW!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

None, none at all. The office didn't even have a place to eat lunch

Cons

Everything from the culture to the people to basic business strategies. The lack of technology, and the toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. This isn't 1952 anymore and people ask questions.

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-03-23

March 26, 2019Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. Our employee satisfaction and well-being is extremely important to us. We are sorry to hear your time with us has not been pleasant. We want our employees to have a positive work environment and we strive to offer them the tools to grow with our company. We care about our employees. As a current employee we encourage you to contact our Human Resources department. We are here to help and improve your experience with us.

10. "Good for some people, but not for everyone"

I worked at R.S. Hughes Co., Inc. full-time

Pros

-If you're really good at computers and like being on one all day you can do well - Decent pay - Great management at the branch I was in

Cons

- Bad work atmosphere - Drama and gossip - Small office space so everyone is in eachothers' space - More like a call center

R.S. Hughes Co., Inc.2019-03-01

March 4, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very valuable to us. We are happy to hear that management in your branch was great during your time with us, but we are saddened that the work environment contributed to a negative experience. Office gossip is something we do not support nor tolerate and we are sorry this is something you encountered. One of the responsibilities of an Inside Sales person is taking orders over the phone and entering them in the computer; however, this is not all that they do. In this role, Inside Sales employees partner with the Outside Sales team to identify, nurture, and close opportunities with both new and existing customers, manage inventory, and track customer data. An Inside Sales employee will work collaboratively with internal and external partners to improve business and create solutions that serve both R.S. Hughes Company, Inc. and our customers. We welcome you to contact our Human Resources department to further discuss your experience with us.

Found 120 reviews