R.S. Hughes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Robert McCollum

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This company has great benefits and really takes care of its employees (in 9 reviews)

• They offer a good comprehensive benefits package (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • the branch works like a franchise - every expense is deducted from your pay, including the outside sales (in 8 reviews)

• There are two different paths for an inside sales rep to go, they can try to be promoted to an (in 5 reviews)

"Outside Sales Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Manager Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Manager Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program to give you insight into how the business is run and prepare you to go into the territory. Friendly, approachable people to help along the way. Managers and current reps are readily available for support.

Cons

None in my experience with the company.

Advice to Management

None, my experience with my manager was entirely positive.

"Management Trainee / Outside Sales"

Pros

nothing I can really think of

Cons

mandatory to stay late every day even if all your work is done. My title was management trainee and was constantly forced to work in the warehouse and pick orders. This went on for 4 months. There is no training at all. Management is stuck in old ways and if you ask a question they will belittle you and make you feel incompetent.

Advice to Management

Create a role to have people trained properly. If everyone is to busy with their own work and not willing to train or help new hires, then expect to have high turnover. 3 people left the company in the first 5 months before me.

"an okay experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supports you when it comes to your family and friendly culture

Cons

The compensation is too low for work load

4. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ive had an overall good experience, work hard and get rewarded.

Cons

I haven't had many cons here pretty straight forward.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun Prairie, WI

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits good....small environment...multi job requirements

Cons

Shreds your confidence in yourself. Doesn't reward your hard work

Advice to Management

Hire professional leaders

"Inside/outside Sales...at least I thought"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can honestly think of. The office air conditioner didn't even work, but the garage doors did...there's a pro!

Cons

Extremely unorganized company that is only well managed out of the couple of regional offices. The small branches include 5-10 employees carrying an extremely heavy workload. When I started I was told to work half of my days (sometimes the entire day) in the warehouse...with my college degree and years of sales experience. This company is a joke and doesn't stand a change against its competition (i.e. Fastenal, grainger). Their site to supply program is outdated and they expect you to destroy your own vehicle by putting on thousands of miles and shoving hundreds of pounds of product in your car...that is extremely flammable.

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees in the small branches and don't leave them in the dark with decisions. Train your management to be professionals.

"0 compassion."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Miramar, FL

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always have something to do. Great people to work with. Okay benefits.

Cons

Management was not genuine, as the warehouse man lots of pressure gets placed on you. Some rough days but its doable, the line was crossed when the manager became disrespectful. The where many time I was set up for failure, then reprimanded for it. From being written up to belittling. You are forced to take accountability for things that may not have been your fault. So if your a person with self dignity this may not be for you. I also need time off for a health issue, it was a problem. I lived in a shelter for a few months and cough food poisoning, this was grounds for termination for them and I was let go over the phone while at the in the E.R

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and understanding. The world is bigger the your bottom line.

"A place for a career"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've always been treated fairly. Tremendous autonomy and responsibility. If you are a producer you are rewarded for your success via monthly bonus system. The company is ethical so I sleep well at night. There are expectations and hard work is one of them. The company runs lean to keep expenses low and bonus up. Employees have decision making authority and control over much of the cost related decisions at their level of the company.

Cons

Not a lot of corporate wide meetings to get to meet your coworkers. You mostly meet people from other divisions during training at 3M, Loctite or one of the other supplier sites. No good ways to give internal feedback anonymously to get unfiltered opinions.

Advice to Management

Keep opening new divisions.

"RS Pipedream"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, vacation accrual, good benefits package. You also get to know the distribution industry - lots of vendor training and product knowledge.

Cons

Where to begin....
    - your annual "holiday" bonus is deducted from the "salaries" portion of the monthly P&L statement for your branch.
    - the branch works like a franchise - every expense is deducted from your pay, including the outside sales. But, if you grow too quickly, you are penalized and can see your commission structure slashed.
    - MANAGEMENT ASKED EMPLOYEES TO WRITE POSITIVE REVIEWS!! They got wind of the poor rating, so I'd discredit any review from September - December 2014. Notice how those are the vast majority of the 4 and 5 star reviews. Shady and unethical to say the least.
    - bonuses are calculated based on hypothetical "well, if you get to here" potentials. You can easily see your compensation remain flat for 2,3,4 years or longer.
    - corporate HR is a joke - they rarely fire people even if you have a strong case or for flat out insubordination. It's truly a joke.
    - it's truly a company where they want you to just put your head down and drink the juice. When you ask questions about the P&L or other pay structures, vague and unsatisfactory answers are give.
    - there's a secret 2nd P&L - this is where all of the old timers and management are paid out in their ESOP shares. Don't get it twisted - you are working to pay all of these people off. And the price tag is staggering - all of the uppers have MILLIONS in ESOP money - you are never going to come remotely close to being a millionaire at this company.
    - to move up, you MUST relocate, but you are not rewarded. They have their "chosen" crew, and if you aren't in that crew you're going nowhere.

Advice to Management

Actually invest in your "valued" employees. There's a ton of turnover lately - most is due to compensation. Pay people in 21st century payment structures and maybe you can hold onto them.

"Don't do it..."

Pros

Decent health and dental benefits.

Cons

Management full of "good ole boys". No investement in future employees. Lack of technology...still hadwriting call reports on paper. Pay is terrible, when I was there accounts in your terrirory were taken away from you if you did not initially prospect the account. There are many opportunities out there that are 100x better than this company...even for entry level. Beware of fake reviews from management on this site. I'd be suprised if this company is still around in 5-10 years.

Advice to Management

Top talent requires top talent compensation.