R.S. Hughes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert McCollum

Pros
Cons
  • the branch works like a franchise - every expense is deducted from your pay, including the outside sales (in 8 reviews)

• There are two different paths for an inside sales rep to go, they can try to be promoted to an (in 5 reviews)

"Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at R.S. Hughes (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and team atmosphere. Benefits are excellent!

Cons

Expected to be a quick learner

"Inside/outside Sales...at least I thought"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can honestly think of. The office air conditioner didn't even work, but the garage doors did...there's a pro!

Cons

Extremely unorganized company that is only well managed out of the couple of regional offices. The small branches include 5-10 employees carrying an extremely heavy workload. When I started I was told to work half of my days (sometimes the entire day) in the warehouse...with my college degree and years of sales experience. This company is a joke and doesn't stand a change against its competition (i.e. Fastenal, grainger). Their site to supply program is outdated and they expect you to destroy your own vehicle by putting on thousands of miles and shoving hundreds of pounds of product in your car...that is extremely flammable.

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees in the small branches and don't leave them in the dark with decisions. Train your management to be professionals.

3. "0 compassion."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Miramar, FL

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always have something to do. Great people to work with. Okay benefits.

Cons

Management was not genuine, as the warehouse man lots of pressure gets placed on you. Some rough days but its doable, the line was crossed when the manager became disrespectful. The where many time I was set up for failure, then reprimanded for it. From being written up to belittling. You are forced to take accountability for things that may not have been your fault. So if your a person with self dignity this may not be for you. I also need time off for a health issue, it was a problem. I lived in a shelter for a few months and cough food poisoning, this was grounds for termination for them and I was let go over the phone while at the in the E.R

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and understanding. The world is bigger the your bottom line.

"Decent place to work, young progressive thinking"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Wynantskill, NY
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Wynantskill, NY

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young, flexible management with a relaxed atmosphere. Grew at a measured rate while I was there, results driven. The management staff was generally positive.

Cons

Lack of support in certain areas, as far as my specific geographical territory went, there was a lack of support in terms of visits or attention also the particular inside sales team that supported me wasn't particularly motivated to take initiative.

"Good entry level supply chain"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, both medical and PTO.

Cons

Pay is too low to live and support a family. Seem transparent in their disclosure of P&L, but something never felt right when questions were asked. Promise for advancement doesn't pay the bills, no matter if kept or pushed to the way side.

Advice to Management

Pay your "valued" employees what they are worth, will reduce turnover, which always seemed like it was pretty high...

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you aren't there to make money.

Cons

$25-$35,000 is what you should expect to make. You have to pay for your expenses with your own money so you work twice for your income.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and they will invest in your company.

"As bland as they come..."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA

Pros

-Laid-back office environment
    - Partnerhsip with reputable companies like 3M and Henkel
    - Ability to wear many hats and learn by doing several different job functions

Cons

-Awful pay and benefits. The PTO structure is a joke, and hours are long day after day. Being a salaried employee, I usually worked 45-50 hours per week, despite my being told I would always work 40 only.
    -I hardly had anything resembling training. The office I worked in had only a handful of people working in it, meaning everyone was always overloaded with work. For my entite first month I was given training tasks that were never looked over by the manager to see if they were correct. The exuse is that there was "not enough time". That phrase was the mantra of my entire experience at RS Hughes. Eventually I figured much of it out on my own, but the entire process was inefficient and I was never as well-versed as I could have been with some training.
    -Again everyone was totally overworked given the amount of business the branch had. It seems like it would be a postive to have so much business, but mistakes were rampant because everything had to be rushed, and my particular branch was losing a lot of the business they had worked to bring in... fast.
    -The work itself had very little excitement, just a very boring office-type job. There was hardly any true "selling" going on. It was just a mindless succession of doing orders for customers and then subsequently fixing the problems that would undoubtably occur afterwards. It could be pricing, the wrong items being sent, wrong invoices, and the list goes on and on. Even as a new hire you were expected to just know everything. I am not saying I needed my hand held or anything, but some feedback, any feedback, would have gone a long way.
    - Did I mention the pay is bad? Well they try to augment your salary with commissions, but don't think you are getting rich any time soon. I made less here than I did being a counselor at summer camps while in college.
    - I was lied to terribly during my interview. Pay, what the job consistented of, training, none of it turned out the way I was told. There are two different paths for an inside sales rep to go, they can try to be promoted to an inside sales manager, or become an outside rep. I was on the path of an outside rep, even being told where I would like to "relocate" to when I did (this company is all about moving you). I saw in inside rep go to outside and realized I would not be sticking around in this job long enough to be promoted. No way was I going to drive around to businesses basically going door to door trying to get owners to buy from Hughes. They give you a territory but its up to you to drive around and sling the word of RS Hughes. It is very heavily commission based of course. I immediately started to look for another job when I saw the path I was on.
    - Management and other more experinced reps constantly blame the new reps for everything that goes wrong. They cut you zero slack, and the are very quick to blame first and ask questions later. Multiple times the manager would start in yelling at me only to realize I didn't have anything to do with it and he would just trail off. No apology, no explanation, just would trail off. I probably heard about 3 words of encouragement in total the whole time I was there.
    - Place is a revolving door of people. I knew I should have been skeptical when a recruiter found my resume without me inquiring. It was just too easy to get the job. I only came to find out later how much turnover there is when I would here "the last guy..." " we had someone a few months ago"... just how many people were there before me? The office desperately needs the people, yet can't keep any around long enough. Not a good sign.
    - Many of the buyers you encounter are difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and deceiving people in the interview. I know it is difficult to find people because of the nature of the job and because of the industry but there is no point in wasting people's time. They will either leave, or you will fire them. To go along with this, people need to be given more time. Letting people go a few months in causes constant turmoil, and places more work on the laps of everyone else. If there are less people, each person should be paid more because of the increase in work, rather than into the pockets of management. It really is amazing how much business was handles in my office by so few people. Yet, we were never given any better compensation for our efforts.

"Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Inside Sales * in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales * in Dallas, TX

I worked at R.S. Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience if you want to be in industrial sales. If not then I would recommend you choose something that pertains to what industry you would like to work in.

Cons

This company is very top heavy and they are not very transparent with their employees. The pay is extremely low and there is a lot of turnover. The top of the chain stays and they replace the bottom of the chain regularly.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees who do all the work with respect and give them adequate pay. This type of practice is completely outdated and wrong. Change now.

10. "Ok job"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at R.S. Hughes (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, 8-5. Pretty laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Pay isn't great, My co-worker played horrible music sometimes.

Advice to Management

n.a

"don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Sales Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Trainee in New York, NY

Pros

decent starting slaty but it never gets better.

Cons

Their form of training is 1 week in the warehouse labeling tape. If you want to consider this industry as your career you’re going to be miserable from day one. Everyone I worked with was depressed because there is nothing cool about selling sand paper, tape and glue.

Advice to Management

train the people you hire and employ managers that actually know how what they're doing.