R&D Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Charles Kummeth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is a pleasure to represent R&D Systems, a revered supplier of proteins, antibodies and immunoassays (in 8 reviews)

• Currently, there is good health coverage in place in comparison to most companies (although employee cost has gone up a bit in the last year) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of changes since the new CEO (in 7 reviews)

• They are grateful that we are still R&D Systems and that we have not been gobbled up by a big company (in 7 reviews)

"It's decent"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are a decent amount of entry level jobs that pay a good amount.
    Plenty of opportunities to move "up"/switch departments. Lots of events that help boost employee morale.

Cons

certain departments are not given the time/budget to have enough workers. Supervisors don't have enough time to prepare for mid-year and end of year reviews.
    Communication with supervisors and other divisions of the company are minimal.
    not much of a learning atmosphere. New employees sometimes have a difficult time adjusting, and learning.

Advice to Management

make more effort to communicate with people you supervise. Initiate a working relationship so employees know who you are and what you do in relation to their job.
    Communicate more often when employees are doing well or when they are not doing well.

"Worker ant"

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

Pay is adequate, if you want to live in the slums

Cons

There are too many to list

Advice to Management

GET A CLUE!

3. "getting better, but still ways to go"

Current Employee - RA III in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - RA III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great co-workers, great flexibility in work hours, Management is improving - improving communication between groups/departments

Cons

raises are not very much - and not based on quality of work. Health care plan used to be great, and compensated for lower pay, but that is changing also. Not much ability to grow

Advice to Management

Pay employees better for their hard work (better raises, especially if healthcare insurance is going to increase) - increase budgets for better equipment. Work on better communication between management and employees.

4. "R&D Systems - a highly valued supplier and great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a pleasure to represent R&D Systems, a revered supplier of proteins, antibodies and immunoassays.
    It is easy to sell high-quality products, backed by outstanding technical support and customer service.
    I enjoy selling our products in bulk and our custom development and testing services.
    The field sales organization is new to the company, assembled 4 years ago. The team is comprised of veteran reps from other major suppliers in this space. We work closely with the inside sales team in Minneapolis. We have gelled as a group. In my 25 years of sales in this industry, the sales team at R&D Systems is the best and happiest team I have ever been on.
    There is open communication with the development scientists, production/bottling, and QC departments. We have great back up and support from our marketing department.
    Management is upbeat and positive. I am grateful that they allow us to focus our energy on growing the business, and do not over-assign reports.
    This is a large company that works well together.

Cons

The launch of the new ERP system last year was challenging for our customer service and shipping departments. It was difficult and stressful for our customers as shipments were delayed. I admired how members of other departments (tech support & marketing) stepped up to assist customer service with order entry. It took a few months to get the new system up and running.
    The name change is still somewhat confusing to our customers. They are grateful that we are still R&D Systems and that we have not been gobbled up by a big company. They don't quite understand what Bio-Techne or what is meant by Bio-Techne "brands"

Advice to Management

The scientists that built our product portfolio over the past 30 years deserve an EPIC appreciation and awards celebration. The research community around the world is grateful for your contribution to discovery.
    As we acquire additional companies, we need to work on promoting and marketing Bio-Techne as a whole. We should include reps from the different "brands" at our sales meetings.
    Need to better promote our BTS for Phase II and Phase III Clinical Trials, small clinical and non-clinical studies

"Avoid"

Current Employee - Scientist I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can hide and have an easy life at this company - just repeat the company mantra in meetings and say whatever management want to hear

Cons

It's a failing, boring environment with a CEO and management team whos only motivation is to get the stock up so they can cash out their options. You have to act more dumb than your manager or you will be marked out as a threat. Brown nosing is valued more highly than capability

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews on this forum about how great everything is

"Scientist 2/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Scientist II/Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist II/Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great people to work with in my group, great science going on, and good health insurance.

Cons

Promotions take a long time to get, pay isn't competent for skill level, budget is tight for our department.

Advice to Management

Please give employees a raise in salary that is above the average when they are promoted.

"Rewiew of R&D Systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Currently, there is good health coverage in place in comparison to most companies (although employee cost has gone up a bit in the last year). Technology-wise finally getting that updated (which at times has been a somewhat painful transition). Many employees have been here for quite a number of years.

Cons

Has become a very corporate structure in the last few years which was not unexpected with arrival of new CEO; prior to that, had more of a smaller company feel and more little perks given to employees as thank you for appreciation of work done during/through the year (pizza parties, cookout on patio, $50 Christmas gift) and that feeling of appreciation of work being done has gone away.

Advice to Management

When employees hear of all of the bonuses that upper management gets for various things, and then our small tokens of appreciation are taken away, it makes us feel as though our work goes unappreciated. If it wasn't for our hard work, many of these bonuses wouldn't happen. It is not so much the money gifts (e.g. Christmas gift), but just that the thank you and the appreciation was taken away. Many feel that their departments are understaffed and overworked and no one in upper management appears to be concerned - at least that is the impression many are getting, and HR and upper management wonder why people are unhappy and stressed.

8. "Hard to move up"

Pros

Generous health insurance. HR very competent and helpful. No dress code for lab floor. $50 dollar cash christmas bonus.

Cons

Very traditional company culture. Progressive thinkers wired to find new or different solutions are discouraged. Promotions after years in company. Large number of seniors with 20+ years in organization.

Advice to Management

The lab floor is bursting with talent, but too few opportunities to show it. Allow every employee to bring forward ideas for improvement or test in small scale and not only do be confined to SOPs.

9. "Getting there"

Current Employee - Supervisor QA/RA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Supervisor QA/RA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are a stable well paying company who is working at being a great place to work. I have worked there for many years and it's much better now.

Cons

There are still some middle management that are aloud to treat certain employees unfairly. Treated as though the job they do isn't as important as others who report to her. This leads to low moral. I am one to who believes strongly that every job is important for us all to make a successful company and a place employees enjoy working for!

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be looked at closely and not just at the word of upper management. Maybe a 365 degree review?

10. "RAIII"

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

Stable, committed employee, strong compensation package, was once a closely connected company that ran like a family business

Cons

Undergoing a cultural identity crisis, struggling to identify and repair old cultural problems within organization. Becoming just another corporate machine.