R&D Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles Kummeth

Pros
  • I worked at R&D for one summer and was very impressed by their work (in 7 reviews)

• They do higher good hardworking people and do offer good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I didn't find any cons with working at R&D except for the traffic on the way to and from work (in 6 reviews)

• middle management jobs, when they only have supervisor qualifications (in 3 reviews)

1. "R&D Systems - a highly valued supplier and great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a pleasure to represent R&D Systems, a revered supplier of proteins, antibodies and immunoassays.
    It is easy to sell high-quality products, backed by outstanding technical support and customer service.
    I enjoy selling our products in bulk and our custom development and testing services.
    The field sales organization is new to the company, assembled 4 years ago. The team is comprised of veteran reps from other major suppliers in this space. We work closely with the inside sales team in Minneapolis. We have gelled as a group. In my 25 years of sales in this industry, the sales team at R&D Systems is the best and happiest team I have ever been on.
    There is open communication with the development scientists, production/bottling, and QC departments. We have great back up and support from our marketing department.
    Management is upbeat and positive. I am grateful that they allow us to focus our energy on growing the business, and do not over-assign reports.
    This is a large company that works well together.

Cons

The launch of the new ERP system last year was challenging for our customer service and shipping departments. It was difficult and stressful for our customers as shipments were delayed. I admired how members of other departments (tech support & marketing) stepped up to assist customer service with order entry. It took a few months to get the new system up and running.
    The name change is still somewhat confusing to our customers. They are grateful that we are still R&D Systems and that we have not been gobbled up by a big company. They don't quite understand what Bio-Techne or what is meant by Bio-Techne "brands"

Advice to Management

The scientists that built our product portfolio over the past 30 years deserve an EPIC appreciation and awards celebration. The research community around the world is grateful for your contribution to discovery.
    As we acquire additional companies, we need to work on promoting and marketing Bio-Techne as a whole. We should include reps from the different "brands" at our sales meetings.
    Need to better promote our BTS for Phase II and Phase III Clinical Trials, small clinical and non-clinical studies

2. "Scientist 2/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Scientist II/Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist II/Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great people to work with in my group, great science going on, and good health insurance.

Cons

Promotions take a long time to get, pay isn't competent for skill level, budget is tight for our department.

Advice to Management

Please give employees a raise in salary that is above the average when they are promoted.

"Experiencing growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, growing company in an interesting field. CTO does a fabulous job of bringing in seminar speakers which helps employees learn a out new scientific developments.

Cons

There's is a major difference between departments and the quality of the work environment. Leadership says they're are trying to oust tyrant managers but many keep getting promoted.

Advice to Management

There's is a major communication breakdown between senior management and the front line employees. Also, upper management needs to model the behavior and attitudes the expect employees to follow.

"Rewiew of R&D Systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Currently, there is good health coverage in place in comparison to most companies (although employee cost has gone up a bit in the last year). Technology-wise finally getting that updated (which at times has been a somewhat painful transition). Many employees have been here for quite a number of years.

Cons

Has become a very corporate structure in the last few years which was not unexpected with arrival of new CEO; prior to that, had more of a smaller company feel and more little perks given to employees as thank you for appreciation of work done during/through the year (pizza parties, cookout on patio, $50 Christmas gift) and that feeling of appreciation of work being done has gone away.

Advice to Management

When employees hear of all of the bonuses that upper management gets for various things, and then our small tokens of appreciation are taken away, it makes us feel as though our work goes unappreciated. If it wasn't for our hard work, many of these bonuses wouldn't happen. It is not so much the money gifts (e.g. Christmas gift), but just that the thank you and the appreciation was taken away. Many feel that their departments are understaffed and overworked and no one in upper management appears to be concerned - at least that is the impression many are getting, and HR and upper management wonder why people are unhappy and stressed.

6. "Hard to move up"

Pros

Generous health insurance. HR very competent and helpful. No dress code for lab floor. $50 dollar cash christmas bonus.

Cons

Very traditional company culture. Progressive thinkers wired to find new or different solutions are discouraged. Promotions after years in company. Large number of seniors with 20+ years in organization.

Advice to Management

The lab floor is bursting with talent, but too few opportunities to show it. Allow every employee to bring forward ideas for improvement or test in small scale and not only do be confined to SOPs.

7. "Getting there"

Current Employee - Supervisor QA/RA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Supervisor QA/RA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are a stable well paying company who is working at being a great place to work. I have worked there for many years and it's much better now.

Cons

There are still some middle management that are aloud to treat certain employees unfairly. Treated as though the job they do isn't as important as others who report to her. This leads to low moral. I am one to who believes strongly that every job is important for us all to make a successful company and a place employees enjoy working for!

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be looked at closely and not just at the word of upper management. Maybe a 365 degree review?

8. "RAIII"

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

Stable, committed employee, strong compensation package, was once a closely connected company that ran like a family business

Cons

Undergoing a cultural identity crisis, struggling to identify and repair old cultural problems within organization. Becoming just another corporate machine.

9. "Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Carry-over vacation time, PTO pay out when not used.

Cons

Old equipment, but beginning to modernize.

"No opportunity for growth"

Pros

Steady Job, ample lot and ramp parking for free

Cons

Where to start... Absolutely no opportunity for promotion, employees come in a nd are stuck. No raises. Terrible culture, incredibly bureaucratic, don't value employees, out dated equipment, low pay, used to be great benefits but they are taking those away slowly, over worked and underpaid, unrealistic expectations of employees, no trust in employees, micromanaged. CEO is set on rapid growth by acquisition and doesn't reinvest profits into core competencies of company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, compensate them as if they are worth something, don't act like you're their only option

"Lab Technician IV / Team Lead"

Former Employee - Lab Tech IV/Team Lead in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Former Employee - Lab Tech IV/Team Lead in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at R&D Systems part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is like a family

Cons

Not enough people for the work load

Advice to Management

Hire more employees