R&D Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

R&D Systems Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2019

2.7
R&D Systems CEO Charles Kummeth (no image)
Charles Kummeth
Pros
  • "It is a pleasure to represent R&D Systems, a revered supplier of proteins, antibodies and immunoassays(in 8 reviews)

• "Currently, there is good health coverage in place in comparison to most companies (although employee cost has gone up a bit in the last year)(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of changes since the new CEO(in 7 reviews)

• "They are grateful that we are still R&D Systems and that we have not been gobbled up by a big company(in 7 reviews)

1. "Love this company!"

Former Employee - Seasonal Lab Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

I worked at R&D for one summer and was very impressed by their work. The people are fantastic and I always felt comfortable and that everyone wanted to help me learn!

Cons

I didn't find any cons with working at R&D except for the traffic on the way to and from work

R&D Systems2015-10-27

"Management unprofessional"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Littleton, CO

I worked at R&D Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, doesn’t track vacation, most people are nice

Cons

Director took credit for work completed by their employees and ridiculed employee for speaking up for their work/credit, marketing management cared more about going to next conference and getting drunk, no training or guidance for your role as an employee, management has no real world experience for the department they are leading, in Littleton office there was dog vomit and feces from the CEOs dog that was never... cleaned up unless the receptionist took care of it. Director took more vacation time than his entire department combined. Boss commted on a work trip that the sire of a homeless person made him physically ill then stsrted critiquing coworkers appearances. More than one occasion manager made comments that should have been handeled by HR but the representative in the office was of the same mentality about commenting on a woman’s appearance.

Advice to Management

Hire directors and management level that I have actual real world experience instead of recruiting people from within but I’ve never worked outside of your company. Hire a marketing team that has actual experience instead of burnt out lab employees. Have some management training where you teach your leader ship how to treat employees and how to actually be a leader.

R&D Systems2019-01-14

"QA Specialist"

I worked at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Low salary compared with others.

R&D Systems2018-09-22
  4. "Healthcare cost increases outpaces raises"

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company had some amazing people. There is an effort underway to change the culture and management is trying to make it a more fun place to work.

Cons

Raises are low and many positions are underpaid. Also extremely hard to move up. Many of our researchers have second jobs to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

We have huge margins on our products and have incredible people, compensate them fairly so they don't leave.

R&D Systems2018-08-08

"Never going back."

I worked at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

2/3 of my coworkers were amazing people.

Cons

Incredibly dysfunctional environment. Stagnant wages. They will work you to death. Run.

R&D Systems2018-06-18

""We aren't required to give you vacation" -HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My close coworkers are skilled, knowledgeable and funny. They make it a decent place to work.

Cons

"We aren't required to give you vacation" is the first thing HR said at a recent meeting about changes being made to the time off policy. Upper management continuously chips away at perks and keeps saying we should be grateful for any little thing they still do for employees. Income disparity between top and bottom is on par with the national average.

Advice to Management

Take better care of the employees that keep the company alive instead of being the union that protects the share holders. Listen to the underlings that actually know how things operate. Stop wasting time and money on EPIC, its a transparent waste to raise morale but it doesn't.

R&D Systems2017-11-08

"Worker ant"

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

Pay is adequate, if you want to live in the slums

Cons

There are too many to list

Advice to Management

GET A CLUE!

R&D Systems2017-06-30

"It's decent"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

there are a decent amount of entry level jobs that pay a good amount. Plenty of opportunities to move "up"/switch departments. Lots of events that help boost employee morale.

Cons

certain departments are not given the time/budget to have enough workers. Supervisors don't have enough time to prepare for mid-year and end of year reviews. Communication with supervisors and other divisions of the company are minimal. not much of a learning atmosphere. New employees sometimes have a difficult time adjusting, and learning.

Advice to Management

make more effort to communicate with people you supervise. Initiate a working relationship so employees know who you are and what you do in relation to their job. Communicate more often when employees are doing well or when they are not doing well.

R&D Systems2017-04-21
  9. "getting better, but still ways to go"

Current Employee - RA III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great co-workers, great flexibility in work hours, Management is improving - improving communication between groups/departments

Cons

raises are not very much - and not based on quality of work. Health care plan used to be great, and compensated for lower pay, but that is changing also. Not much ability to grow

Advice to Management

Pay employees better for their hard work (better raises, especially if healthcare insurance is going to increase) - increase budgets for better equipment. Work on better communication between management and employees.

R&D Systems2017-04-19
  10. "R&D Systems - a highly valued supplier and great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a pleasure to represent R&D Systems, a revered supplier of proteins, antibodies and immunoassays. It is easy to sell high-quality products, backed by outstanding technical support and customer service. I enjoy selling our products in bulk and our custom development and testing services. The field sales organization is new to the company, assembled 4 years ago. The team is comprised of veteran reps... from other major suppliers in this space. We work closely with the inside sales team in Minneapolis. We have gelled as a group. In my 25 years of sales in this industry, the sales team at R&D Systems is the best and happiest team I have ever been on. There is open communication with the development scientists, production/bottling, and QC departments. We have great back up and support from our marketing department. Management is upbeat and positive. I am grateful that they allow us to focus our energy on growing the business, and do not over-assign reports. This is a large company that works well together.

Cons

The launch of the new ERP system last year was challenging for our customer service and shipping departments. It was difficult and stressful for our customers as shipments were delayed. I admired how members of other departments (tech support & marketing) stepped up to assist customer service with order entry. It took a few months to get the new system up and running. The name change is still somewhat confusing... to our customers. They are grateful that we are still R&D Systems and that we have not been gobbled up by a big company. They don't quite understand what Bio-Techne or what is meant by Bio-Techne "brands"

Advice to Management

The scientists that built our product portfolio over the past 30 years deserve an EPIC appreciation and awards celebration. The research community around the world is grateful for your contribution to discovery. As we acquire additional companies, we need to work on promoting and marketing Bio-Techne as a whole. We should include reps from the different "brands" at our sales meetings. Need to better promote our... BTS for Phase II and Phase III Clinical Trials, small clinical and non-clinical studies

R&D Systems2017-03-22