RAC (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Dave Hobday

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great loved it pay was awesom"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at RAC (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work, money, great employees, benefits, health

Cons

life, no life after work, long hours

2. "Not bad Overall"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Stretford, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet some nice people, dress down Fridays, you have the opportunity of winning prizes during the week. Good bonus earning.

Cons

Management in Stretford lacked skills. They had favourites and felt like you were disturbing them when you asked them for help (this applies to some of the managers).

Advice to Management

Be a bit more considerate for new starters.

"Difficult environment, very bureaucratic"

Pros

Some interesting technology. Mostly pleasant people

Cons

Incredibly noisy environments in the Bristol and Walsall offices. Mostly open-plan and in Bristol even open-floor, in that noise from the floor below carried up. Crowded and distracting. One IT team was stationed right next to a call centre.

Tech staff are still nevertheless supposed to concentrate and work, regardless. Working from home not permitted. You may be familiar with the managerial approach - you have average equipment, an appalling work environment, but as long as you are sitting on your seat, you are being managed.

Very bureaucratic processes, and processes half-understood or half-implemented. Agile *couldn't* be adopted but there were still stand-ups that only the senior manager derived any benefit from - they were the bane of everyone else's day but nobody felt able to broach the subject. Project managers who didn't' understand technology and seemingly didn't understand project management either were let loose on designing 'processes'. An oddly hierarchical management structure meant decisions were taken, and pretty firm targets set, before the tech staff had any sight at all of the objectives.

I was warned beforehand by an ex-colleague who'd lasted 11 months what the culture was like. I nevertheless risked it. I'm half-glad I did but I'm also relieved to have left within a short amount of time.

Advice to Management

Technical / IT staff need calm, controlled and quiet environments. You simply will not get good work out of people in the Bristol and Walsall offices in their current setup.

You need to employ tech-savvy PMs.

Your processes are overly bureaucratic. You should try Agile properly. And you should involve your tech teams in the business decisions much earlier on. Arbitrary deadlines set artificially are not spurs to better working. They're demoralising and irritating - your teams *know* you're just making it up, they're not stupid.

4. "Breakdown advisor"

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time

Pros

None - constant change in temporary staff , no career prospects

Cons

Just a number to the RAC , they get rid of you as quick as they employ you.

Advice to Management

Be more involved on the team floor , I didn't even know my managers name!!

"Not a good environment for IT professionals"

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time

Pros

Office in a location that is easy enough to get to, canteen is more than enough for lunch on those rainy days, IT department does contain very talented and experienced developers.

In general I think there is a want to change things but it is very slow in gaining pace and may never be championed due to the business.

Cons

In general RAC is not a great place for IT professionals such as developers, due to various 1970s styles ways of working, like enormous amounts of technical debt and no time to address it, continuous changing of goal posts in sprints (anti-Agile 101) and a very poor set of infrastructure (which is basically outsourced).

There is a severe lack of team mentality and teams very much work in silos.

Oh and the parking and facilities (toilets!) are just ridiculous, I mean...it just defies words.

Advice to Management

Whilst RAC is not an IT-first company, your IT practices beat the best of the 90s - this will turn talented developers off.

"Worst decision of my career. A revolving door of a department, with no internal team management whatsoever."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Nice open plan office/building. Subsidised canteen meals.

Cons

I was one of a number of IT/website developers who have the displeasure of working at the Bradley Stoke office. A few personal highlights:

- No on-boarding process whatsoever. No real site orientation, no basic (and legally required) fire/health and safety orientation. A computer (obvious key tool of the job) was not even provided for over two weeks from my initial starting period. During this time I was left to occupy myself. Upon questioning this with management I was informed that I should bring in my own personal computer to use during this time(!) This was frequently repeated with not only new permanent staff but also contractors.

- No internal team or personal management. During the twelve months plus of employment I did not have any performance reviews.

- No goals or career progression opportunities were set and work was never reviewed.

- No professional relationship with the team management whatsoever. This was the same for the whole development team.

- New team members were never formally introduced to the team – adding to the lack of team mentality in the office. I never felt part of a team – a feeling shared by other developers who joined and left during the time I was employed there.

- IT procedures were outdated and convoluted. A lack of code maintenance and a large amount of technical debt resulting in a bloated and frustrating development environment (several gigs of data per branch), which frequently crashed. Relatively simple overnight releases took several hours, much due to the technical debt that hasn't been addressed. Some effort was being made to address this by the time of departure.

This is not a department for any IT professional who wishes to progress in their career. A culture of being left to work in silos exists. Communication generally within the RAC was dire; the management changing sprint scopes during the sprint itself (moving project goalposts) and no internal reviewing of team management.

Also a side note:

• Parking is also an issue at The Bradley Stoke office. A lack of spaces means that a “double parking system” has been utilised - however the reality of this is it is frequently difficult to contact those who have parked behind you if you are blocked in.

Advice to Management

No internal team management existed. The company is purely financially goal driven, and has no employee culture. The result is/was a revolving door of employees who never felt valued.

The IT department had over ten project managers and multiple developers leave within a single year, and still RAC management didn't look into what was happening internally. The statistics speak for themselves.

The Bradley Stoke office has earned a reputation for this within the IT industry in Bristol (multiple recruitment agents have commented about this).

7. "The worst years in my career"

Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The actual people in role working hard made it worth it

Cons

If your face doesn't fit , extreme 'pack mentality' amongst senior mangagement .

Advice to Management

Grow some balls and actually do something worthy of your teams respect

8. "RAC Career"

Current Employee - Quality Compliance Auditor in Stretford, North West England, England (UK)

Pros

Great role providing constructive feed back to colleagues supporting their development in their own roles. Rewarding particularly having seen the positive impact we've had over the last 4 years raising the quality bar

Cons

In supporting others we have been utilised mostly in functions that our not our core role, particularly, for customer complaint investigations

Advice to Management

To give greater flexibility to staff who are of the calibre that the company looks for in giving the client base a good customer journey

9. "An unethical, heartless and utterly disgusting 'company' to work for...."

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Briston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Briston, England (UK)

Pros

NOTHING. Training is rushed. Told to 'take ownership of calls' and yet when customers complain its YOUR FAULT.

Cons

Bad pay. Long hours. Relentless calls coming through from RUDE, DISGUSTING excuses for 'Human Beings'. Contract staff via agencies have NO EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS. Sacked over the phone with little care as to how devastating this can be to someones emotional well-being. Contemplated suicide after this.

Advice to Management

Sack arrogant Managers who stick together, care little for the well-being of staff. Face doesn't fit culture exists. A simply chat to someone about a Managers attitude can lead to INSTANT DISMISSAL IN THEIR FAVOUR even when they were in the wrong.

10. "Good training, fun people to work with, poor management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the sales team and the training we received was brilliant, they made sure we knew what we were doing before going onto the phones.

The people are great, a really close knit team and lots of get-togethers outside of work.

Cons

Continuously moving the goal post when it came to bonus structure, poor senior management communication and attitude towards staff below them.