RAC (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Debbie Hewitt

1. "Great loved it pay was awesom"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at RAC (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work, money, great employees, benefits, health

Cons

life, no life after work, long hours

2. "Worst decision of my career. A revolving door of a department, with no internal team management whatsoever."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Nice open plan office/building. Subsidised canteen meals.

Cons

I was one of a number of IT/website developers who have the displeasure of working at the Bradley Stoke office. A few personal highlights:

- No on-boarding process whatsoever. No real site orientation, no basic (and legally required) fire/health and safety orientation. A computer (obvious key tool of the job) was not even provided for over two weeks from my initial starting period. During this time I was left to occupy myself. Upon questioning this with management I was informed that I should bring in my own personal computer to use during this time(!) This was frequently repeated with not only new permanent staff but also contractors.

- No internal team or personal management. During the twelve months plus of employment I did not have any performance reviews.

- No goals or career progression opportunities were set and work was never reviewed.

- No professional relationship with the team management whatsoever. This was the same for the whole development team.

- New team members were never formally introduced to the team – adding to the lack of team mentality in the office. I never felt part of a team – a feeling shared by other developers who joined and left during the time I was employed there.

- IT procedures were outdated and convoluted. A lack of code maintenance and a large amount of technical debt resulting in a bloated and frustrating development environment (several gigs of data per branch), which frequently crashed. Relatively simple overnight releases took several hours, much due to the technical debt that hasn't been addressed. Some effort was being made to address this by the time of departure.

This is not a department for any IT professional who wishes to progress in their career. A culture of being left to work in silos exists. Communication generally within the RAC was dire; the management changing sprint scopes during the sprint itself (moving project goalposts) and no internal reviewing of team management.

Also a side note:

• Parking is also an issue at The Bradley Stoke office. A lack of spaces means that a “double parking system” has been utilised - however the reality of this is it is frequently difficult to contact those who have parked behind you if you are blocked in.

Advice to Management

No internal team management existed. The company is purely financially goal driven, and has no employee culture. The result is/was a revolving door of employees who never felt valued.

The IT department had over ten project managers and multiple developers leave within a single year, and still RAC management didn't look into what was happening internally. The statistics speak for themselves.

The Bradley Stoke office has earned a reputation for this within the IT industry in Bristol (multiple recruitment agents have commented about this).

3. "The worst years in my career"

Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The actual people in role working hard made it worth it

Cons

If your face doesn't fit , extreme 'pack mentality' amongst senior mangagement .

Advice to Management

Grow some balls and actually do something worthy of your teams respect

5. "RAC Career"

Current Employee - Quality Compliance Auditor in Stretford, North West England, England (UK)

Pros

Great role providing constructive feed back to colleagues supporting their development in their own roles. Rewarding particularly having seen the positive impact we've had over the last 4 years raising the quality bar

Cons

In supporting others we have been utilised mostly in functions that our not our core role, particularly, for customer complaint investigations

Advice to Management

To give greater flexibility to staff who are of the calibre that the company looks for in giving the client base a good customer journey

6. "An unethical, heartless and utterly disgusting 'company' to work for...."

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Briston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Briston, England (UK)

Pros

NOTHING. Training is rushed. Told to 'take ownership of calls' and yet when customers complain its YOUR FAULT.

Cons

Bad pay. Long hours. Relentless calls coming through from RUDE, DISGUSTING excuses for 'Human Beings'. Contract staff via agencies have NO EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS. Sacked over the phone with little care as to how devastating this can be to someones emotional well-being. Contemplated suicide after this.

Advice to Management

Sack arrogant Managers who stick together, care little for the well-being of staff. Face doesn't fit culture exists. A simply chat to someone about a Managers attitude can lead to INSTANT DISMISSAL IN THEIR FAVOUR even when they were in the wrong.

7. "Good training, fun people to work with, poor management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the sales team and the training we received was brilliant, they made sure we knew what we were doing before going onto the phones.

The people are great, a really close knit team and lots of get-togethers outside of work.

Cons

Continuously moving the goal post when it came to bonus structure, poor senior management communication and attitude towards staff below them.

8. "rac agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

nice training putting you up in hotel for week,not payed though 80% commission, nice uniform ,you are given all tools for job ,ipad nice stand

Cons

paying for sites can be very expensive £66 per day tesco £72 asda if you do not sell you still have too pay also £100 month booking agent fees you are only fed positive information i was told put the hours in it will come i admit i only did two weeks ,i baled out before i ended up paying to go to work i worked 8 hour shift with hardly a break you do not no anything about how much previous agents have earned or when one was last at the store

Advice to Management

at least tell the pitfalls of the job;let an agent get his feet on the ground first give them the first few weeks free

9. "Not what I expected.."

I have been working at RAC (UK) full-time

Pros

Nice building
    Good brand to have on CV - employers will know you've been worked hard!

Cons

Limited progression
    Lack of investment in staff
    Poor management and mentoring
    Constant cost cutting
    You're just a number, not a valued member of staff
    No appetite to change how they've always done things
    Siloed teams

10. "Good environment to learn, but not the greatest place to move up the "ladder". It's a place where if "your face fits"!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Walsall, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Walsall, England (UK)

I worked at RAC (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location. Some very supportive managers. On site parking. Canteen. Fair pay.

Cons

Poor opportunities. Face doesn't fit, you don't get jobs. Pay can be poor depending on level.

Advice to Management

Promote people on their ability to do the job. Not on how well they say the word "yes".

11. "Call centre"

Current Employee - Call Centre Claims in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Call Centre Claims in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at RAC (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The building is great. There are panoramic views/lots of windows and light. Nice office.
    - Although this is a call centre - it has an office feel/ not as bad as other call centres.
    - being away from town in Bradley Stoke has its pros and cons. Travel from the city centre by bus is not good

Cons

- Dead end job, with no movement to progress career/ gain new skills.
    - Low pay - pay is terrible
    - Management generally stick together and do not relate to people on the floor although this has improved in recent times in this department.