RAINN Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Incredible"

Former Employee - Online Hotline Staffer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Online Hotline Staffer in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your schedule is flexible and you are able to work from home. Above all, you are helping people directly. Training is compensated.

Cons

The job can be stressful and require working late at night.

"Hotline Management does not care about you."

Former Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Helping others. That's about it.

Cons

Management is straight crap. They have no real management experience. They expect a high turnover rate, which there is, so they treat employees as disposable/replaceable. If you work overnight just know you will be forgotten and not cared for. Management tells you they care about you but they never show it. Management shows A LOT of favoritism. They increase your workload the longer you work there and do not give you any sort of compensation for it. Expect to be ignored by administrative staff. They make sweeping structural changes in secret and expect staff to adjust in a moments notice.

Advice to Management

This is a high stress level job. Show how you say you care about employees through action. Stop with the favoritism. Offer some sort of compensation for good work; it doesn't have to be a raise.

3. "Nice NPO"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a very nice organization with nice people. The work there is very meaningful.

Cons

There are not enough computers for interns.

"The Online Hotline"

Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working on the online hotline because of my fellow staffers and the work being done. There are so many passionate and talented individuals working for this very important cause. Although it can be emotionally draining and a lot on top of my other job, especially because we are so short staffed, it is rewarding.

Cons

I really don't think the management at RAINN or office staff value the online hotline staff which is unfortunate because they are doing the brunt of RAINN's direct service work. The turnover on the hotline has become insane...long time staff are leaving left and right because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and undervalued. The pay is also minimal so it is the kind of thing you do part time on the side or in addition to many other jobs. I work with the most amazing people so it disappoints me to see so little investment in appreciating all the incredible work being done.

Advice to Management

I really recommend hiring a few full time staff with benefits and regular pay and supplement them with part time staff to reduce the stress of the turn over. You cannot pay rent here by working full time so it causes people to balance so many commitments and it negatively impacts the morale and the retention. I also think that investing a little more time and energy in making hotline staff feel appreciated and valued will help.

"Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good organization, committed to a great cause, good location, fun staff members, fun events to plan and organize with christina ricci

Cons

disorganized, whoever had the skills was responsible, no accountability, no recognition, management gives little direction, nonchalance about work environment or professionalism

"Interning at RAINN has pushed me to learn new things and take on more roles."

Current Employee - Intern At RAINN in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern At RAINN in Washington, DC

Pros

RAINN is a very small organization so you are really going to be involved. Most "departments" have 3 or 4 full time staff, so you will not be doing random office tasks but really involved in the success of the organization.

Cons

There's not a lot of recognition for what you do. This is common at non-profits, but no one is patting you on the back after a job well done. In addition, it is unpaid and you end up doing a lot of work that a real staff member would typically be doing.

Advice to Management

Take the possibility of paying interns - even minimum wage. There should also be more communication between interns, supervisors and other departments.

"Becoming a better place to work"

I have been working at RAINN part-time

Pros

I work part time on the online hotline. Scheduling is easy, and the people you work with on the hotline are so dedicated. It's a team effort and everyone is there to support each other.

Cons

Sometimes shifts are understaffed which can lead to a very stressful night.

8. "Workplace"

I have been working at RAINN full-time

Pros

Working for an issue that matters and knowing you are making a difference. The staff is friendly.

Cons

Not so much diversity throughout the office.

9. "Awesome Organization"

Pros

Work remotely, making a direct difference in people's lives, very flexible with schedules.

Cons

I'm a student and able to work there only because I have Federal Work Study instead of having a general open pool to college students.

10. "The shift was flexible but you have to keep in mind that your there to help others. Some things you hear will blow your"

I have been working at RAINN part-time

Pros

Great place to work great people
    Great for those looking for pt only: college students and stay at home moms

Cons

Needs better pay
    No real chance of promotion