RAINN Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "RAINN does not care about your general well being."

I worked at RAINN full-time

Pros

You'll save lives. Your coworkers are dedicated.

Cons

There's a huge divide between the hotline and office staff. Office staff doesn't acknowledge the hotline staff and it's just a difficult environment as we're not treated the same. Office staff gets a huge amount of perks from free food to federal holidays off and the week between Christmas and New Years Eve off. Hotline staff gets none of that and it's super discouraging and makes you feel like a second rate person. It just sucks because the hotline staff is doing what RAINN actually is but there's no initiative from management to try to alleviate the stressful work. There's not even a space for hotline workers to decompress after a tough call or chat except for a tiny closet with a dirty yoga mat. There are empty offices around RAINN but no one wants to convert that to a decompressing space for hotline staff. And the other departments at RAINN always say to email or talk to them about ideas but then no one actually responds. I just feel like a body to RAINN, not a person.

Advice to Management

Increase raises as most of the FTs have two jobs or live at home. Offer work from home days once or twice a month. Offer more incentives such as better time off, paid holidays and more sick leave. Hotline staffers work full five day weeks the entire year since we never get holidays off. It's so difficult. Look into mental health stipends and other benefits to keep workers here. Full timers do full on 40 hours of chats and phone calls. Look into dividing that out by having other work such as helping the communications staff or doing other admin work. No one can do 40 hours of chats. That's why everyone is burning out. Create a room for workers to decompress, have a couch and other things. And give much longer breaks. Two 20 min breaks doesn't cut it for an 8 hour work day. There should be a 45 min paid break.

2. "Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -Options for advancement
    -Close knit group
    -Training opportunities
    -Competitive pay
    -Christmas through New Years off

Cons

-Sometimes long hours
    -Occasional stressful chats
    -Lots of remote jobs (can be a pro)

"Management micromanages the hotline room"

Former Employee - Hotline Staffer
    Former Employee - Hotline Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time

Pros

All the hotline staffers care about supporting survivors, and everyone is dedicated to helping everyone else out on their chats. My years here meant a lot to me and I was sad to leave.

Cons

There is massive turnover due entirely to management who focuses on ways to criticize the staff and not ways to improve the hotline room. The criticism is very subjective, not everyone is held to the same standards. I saw management take personal phone calls, run errands, and watch videos on YouTube, and when a hotline staffer takes a minute to check their phone while waiting for the next crisis call, they're immediately scolded at. The benefits are terrible. You barely accrue vacation or sick leave, and you're guilt-tripped for taking a day off because you're exhausted.

Advice to Management

APPRECIATE YOUR HOTLINE STAFF. Instead of trying to find something to criticize us for, think about ways to better our high stress shifts. We've given feedback so many times for why we're all leaving. Listen to the feedback you're getting and incorporate that. Ignoring us and just treating us like kids will lead to more turnover which directly affects the services provided by the online hotline.

"Good and bad at this non-profit org"

I worked at RAINN full-time

Pros

Overall, people are dedicated to the mission at hand and it feels great to be part of something that directly helps survivors.

Cons

Upper management is not adequately trained. Sometimes, actions and policies are taken that are both unethical and unprofessional. Hotline staff is not adequately supported. Not much diversity.

Advice to Management

Make sure all your upper management is adequately trained. Don't lose focus of the mission of RAINN.

"Workplace"

I have been working at RAINN full-time

Pros

Working for an issue that matters and knowing you are making a difference. The staff is friendly.

Cons

Not so much diversity throughout the office.

"Hotline Management does not care about you."

Former Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Helping others. That's about it.

Cons

Management is straight crap. They have no real management experience. They expect a high turnover rate, which there is, so they treat employees as disposable/replaceable. If you work overnight just know you will be forgotten and not cared for. Management tells you they care about you but they never show it. Management shows A LOT of favoritism. They increase your workload the longer you work there and do not give you any sort of compensation for it. Expect to be ignored by administrative staff. They make sweeping structural changes in secret and expect staff to adjust in a moments notice.

Advice to Management

This is a high stress level job. Show how you say you care about employees through action. Stop with the favoritism. Offer some sort of compensation for good work; it doesn't have to be a raise.

7. "Incredible"

Former Employee - Online Hotline Staffer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Online Hotline Staffer in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your schedule is flexible and you are able to work from home. Above all, you are helping people directly. Training is compensated.

Cons

The job can be stressful and require working late at night.

8. "Awesome Organization"

Pros

Work remotely, making a direct difference in people's lives, very flexible with schedules.

Cons

I'm a student and able to work there only because I have Federal Work Study instead of having a general open pool to college students.

9. "The shift was flexible but you have to keep in mind that your there to help others. Some things you hear will blow your"

I have been working at RAINN part-time

Pros

Great place to work great people
    Great for those looking for pt only: college students and stay at home moms

Cons

Needs better pay
    No real chance of promotion

"Pick somewhere else! (former hotline staffer)"

Former Employee - Part-time Staffer
    Former Employee - Part-time Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many great people that work on the hotline, their dedication is inspiring, also you do get the chance to help people who really need it directly.

Cons

Management is pretty awful, they say one thing and then do another, they treat people as if they are disposable/replaceable and only their to serve the needs of management. Hard work, and good reviews are not rewarded and their is no praise for the people who work tirelessly to serve victims in need. Management plays favorites and gives perks and promotions to the favored few who really are not good at their jobs and who just put in the bare minimum (read those who are married to management or friends of management)

Advice to Management

Treat staff members like they mater and that they exist. Do not overwork staff to the point of burn-out. A little kindness can go a long way. Just act like decent humans.