RAND Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
RAND CEO Michael Rich
Michael Rich

Pros
Cons
  • There is a dark side to the "internal labor market (in 10 reviews)

• The internal labor market can create a lot of stress if you're having trouble finding projects (in 10 reviews)

"RAND is a place where smart people get to work on interesting problems."

Current Employee - Technical Analyst IV in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst IV in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the biggest pro. The impact of the work is probably second. The flexibility and benefits are nice too.

Cons

The coverage system can be frustrating at times. The institution can also be slow to grow / evolve, meaning we rarely have access to the newest technologies.

2. "Project Consultant"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Bristow, VA
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Bristow, VA

I have been working at RAND (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy to get along with the people who work there. Very relaxed environment.

Cons

So far there are no real problems that I can spot.

Advice to Management

none

"Rethink the structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Flexible hours
    -Smart people
    -Challenging work

Cons

-The matrix causes conflict between units and research organization which leads to in-fighting and vying for position
    -Exceptions for the researchers are the rule
    -Support staff are obviously not as respected as researchers and are sometimes ignored or thought of as "getting in the way"
    -Elitism at its finest

Advice to Management

-Re-think the matrix and recognize the conflict instead of ignoring it and hoping it will go away.
    -Do 360 reviews for ALL directors and above with action strategies for addressing issues and blind spots.
    Recognize the discontent in the WO and don't keep trying to pack people in as sardines.

"Summer Associate"

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at RAND full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great summer job. Treated as a colleague and equal to everyone else. Interesting projects and lots of flexibility (teleworking, etc.). Very friendly and smart people who are always doing creative and challenging work. Solid pay and perks. One of the best jobs I've had.

Cons

A little tough to navigate the organization and its structure at first. People stay in their office and keep to themselves generally so it can feel unwelcoming, but if you stop anyone to talk to them that feeling will go away quickly.

Advice to Management

Build a bigger RAND Summer Associate alumni network/presence. It seems like SA's have to try and find opportunities to stay connected.

6. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Facilities in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Facilities in Washington, DC

Pros

Great people
    Opportunity to learn and gain experience
    Leaders and mentors galore

Cons

Resistant to change
    Upward mobility depends upon openings

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your staff and encouraging retention

7. "Think Tank Life"

I worked at RAND part-time

Pros

Smart people doing interesting work in a collegial atmosphere. I really enjoyed the opportunity to do high-end analysis with a talented team tasked to model and assess Defense Department human capital challenges.

Cons

The academic atmosphere is a happy one, but sometimes that means the analysis gets disconnected from the real-world and the progress is slow.

"Still Grateful to be Here"

Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the challenge of working on a range of projects, and that I get to work outside of my disciplinary specialty in truly interdisciplinary teams. I love the lack of micromanagement: the freedom to manage my own time, a very flat hierarchy, and responsibility to accomplish tasks without someone leaning over my shoulder.

I also like my colleagues. There's a range of social skills/personalities here, but the vast majority are sincerely collegial and a pleasure to work with. I've been mentored by several more senior people, for which I'm grateful, and I've had a chance to interact with and try and help juniors here. I also get to teach in the graduate school, and that's very satisfying.

While RAND doesn't have a lot of ethnic diversity (which likely reflects larger social and cultural conditions, not RAND hiring/management), I do like the gender diversity at RAND--there's no glass ceiling here.

I also appreciate that merit is generally recognized. I was promoted to full scientist after 2 years, and I think that fairly reflected my contributions and potential here at RAND. I'm compensated and treated fairly overall by the institution, get to do meaningful work, and I feel a lot of loyalty to RAND.

Cons

-You have to find your own work (RAND's "internal labor market"). Basically you have to quickly create a network of people who know and trust you to contribute value to projects, and get booked for 230 days of labor each year. That can be stressful, and may favor social skills over competency.

-There are small pockets of highly toxic people who get tolerated because they have contacts and bring in business (they "bring value to the institution in other ways" as one unit manager told me). That may be a deal with the devil, trading a short term gain for longer term harm to RAND.

-The Washington office has run out of space (hiring a lot), and so people who aren't in their office a lot are getting kicked out, and will have to use hotel (ad hoc) office space. I think most of us understand this is a difficult problem, but the presentation and implementation have been bungled pretty badly and caused a lot of resentment. It's being framed as "We've done the research and kicking people out of offices who are in the office less often will make them interact with other staff more often." That's been met with eye-rolling to anger.

Advice to Management

1. Help us figure out what constitutes a good hire. I'm about done recommending people I know are fantastic researchers, who then get torpedoed as applicants, and I have no idea why. No one knows hiring logic beyond "this person can bring in business."

2. I think most of us see the value in the internal labor market as both a test and training for being a certain kind of valuable and connected researcher. But my guess is that filling in EXACTLY the right number of coverage days is a productivity drain. Give research staff a small pool of discretionary days so that we still have to find work, but don't need to somehow magically come up with exactly 233 days (or whatever it is) and not go over.

3. Consider the cultural impact of keeping toxic individuals in place because they have a certain government connection and bring in business. I'm not sure the short term gain outweighs the long term harm to the workforce.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, casual colleagues, incredible freedom!

Cons

Freedom can be costly if you don't have good instincts about projects

10. "Interesting work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at RAND full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart co-workers, with emphasis on analytical rigor. Challenging client projects. Good benefits package, including generous leave.

Cons

Limited opportunities for upward mobility.

11. "Always something interesting to work on"

Current Employee - Associate Political Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Political Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAND full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At RAND, researchers get to work on a breadth of projects. Unlike most of academia, at RAND your research has a good chance of being seen by government decisionmakers.

Cons

The internal labor market does not efficiently match capabilities to requirements, and the need to pursue future work while doing your regular work can be an unpleasant distraction. There isn't a clear career path for most project associates or research assistants, and consequently RAND-caliber talent sometimes is not retained.