RBC Reviews | Glassdoor

RBC President/CEO David I. McKay
David I. McKay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be an issue (in 48 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours are required (in 52 reviews)

1. "NOT the Goldman Sachs of Canada"

Former Employee - Vice President FIC in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President FIC in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at the New York office for RBC Capital Markets at 200 Vesey. Lot's of great restaurants in the area where you can use food to numb the pain of working for RBC Capital Markets.

Cons

My "pros" comment says it all.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that RBCCM is the greatest place in the world to work. Start treating your employees well.

2. "Project Manager"

Pros

Some of the co-workers were cool.

Cons

They are REFUSING to pay for the overtime hours that I put in. They owe me over $4,000 and I have done my research. It is ILLEGAL for them not to pay me for overtime if they were aware that I was working overtime. They knew.

On top of that, they led me on like I was going to have this life-long, fulfilling career with them. A week later, they let the head of my department go. Two weeks after that, they completely blindsided me and one day just said, "we're terminating you're 6-month contract-to hire, effective immediately." We packed up all my stuff (I had a lot of stuff there decorating my cube), I handed in my computer and my badge, and I was escorted out...like I was just a product to them, not an actual human being.

Advice to Management

Remember that the Contractors that you hire are human beings too, just like you, and have feelings, and families, and a home with a mortgage...you should give them the respect of a heads up or a notice when you're going to let them go. Or try to find a different role for them somewhere else in the organization. I was devastated when you just tossed me out after three-and-a-half weeks. I was really happy there and I had absolutely no idea that was coming. I'm also a single Mom with 3 kids, one who's going to college next year, one who just turned 16 and needs a car because h can't take mine, and one who needs braces...and I literally am almost out of money.

Oh, and you also HAVE to pay your Contractors for overtime hours that they work if you are aware that they are working overtime. It is ILLEGAL, against the LAW, to not pay me my overtime. WTF???

3. "Team leader customer service"

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

401k has a good match

Cons

Poor leadership and behind the times in technology.

Advice to Management

Hire good leaders and not friends!!

"Looney Bin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Well paid, lot of time devoted to doing nothing

Cons

This place was really really bad, leave as fast as you can

Advice to Management

retire

5. "Supervisor"

I have been working at RBC full-time

Pros

Pay is not that bad

Cons

Senior management plays a lot of favoritism plus the leadership development is still backwards compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Attract outside talent for senior leaders and take the EOS results serious to fix what is broken. Operations at RBC is one of the worst areas to work. However, other departments outside of operations are very innovative, employees feel valued and have great collaborative approaches. Huge revolving door in operations, what a shame and waste of talent!!

6. "No loyalty and you will only hear crickets"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RBC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned at RBC Wealth Management in Minneapolis, MN as a business analyst. I was in the Technical and Operations program (T&O). I worked in the Project Delivery Office (PDO). Great team and nice people for the most part. Learned great life lessons and made some great connections.

Cons

No loyalty at all. All interns gave a 5 minute end of internship presentation. I was told this presentation would help us land a direct hire job if it went well. I felt like my presentation was definitely a lot better than most of the other interns. Months went by and I have not heard anything from RBC. One guy that rambled on and went over the time limit of the presentation got hired while I was left jobless. I felt like I did a much better job than him. Sure the presentation was only a part of the hiring factor but I was left hanging from the company. Didn't hear any feedback about my internship performance and the presentation at all. Attempts to contact the company were left with crickets. I also applied to a few business Analyst roles but never heard anything back. I have experience within the company but that doesn't matter to them.

Advice to Management

Have a better communication system with your interns. Don't leave them hanging. Just tell them straight up with they will likely get a direct-hire job or not.

"CMBA credit manager, loan specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Great benefits, solid parent company , pay ok

Cons

Rbc Bank Ga does not have a mortgage process in place that works. The managers in sales and underwriting are clueless with no sales experience. They have very limited portfolio products and are a small boutique bank . If you are talented but not liked, you will continue to be harassed until you leave or quit.lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire knowledgeable managers, diversify your staff

"Poor culture and leadeship"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

learned how to work hard and received good initial training as someone right out of college

Cons

Leadership in NYC in fixed income is horrible. Don't expect to be mentored or inspired or even feel like your manager is competent. Culture is for the most part very negative.

Advice to Management

Put more qualified leaders in place!

"Sales-Trader Who Wouldn't Have His Worst Enemy Work Here"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

- there are some groups that are well run within the bank, unfortunately I was not in one of them
    - bank is investing in new businesses that they desperately need in an attempt to catch up to the bulge bracket
    - if you're a brown-noser type of worker, you may succeed here. unfortunately, if you're actually focused on serving clients, it's best to go elsewhere.

Cons

unfortunately this list will be much longer, so here we go

- lots of turnover: i was at the bank for five years, much longer than most people last there. in my time, i saw my group almost completely turnover twice (i.e. they fired everyone in my group and then hired a new group)
    - distant management: you can certainly talk to your direct manager but try talking to a higher level manager and you'll be put in your place
    - incompetent management: lower management can fly under the radar for years (and i've witnessed it) without upper management doing much to stop them - they're mostly just concerned about keeping their own jobs. you see this trickle down as non-management also is mostly concerned with keeping their jobs/getting bonuses rather than actually doing their jobs well
    - low pay: not competitive pay - you do not get paid based on how much commission you made or your trade profits: you get paid based on how much you throw your coworkers under the bus - come bonus time (around the fall), you'll notice people trying to jockey for bigger parts of the bonus pool. instead of focusing on how they can serve their clients best, they try to complain to management about how everyone else is terrible

Advice to Management

- listen to your minority workers: women and minorities often have advice for upper management which goes ignored
    - treat people better: RBC has a scorched earth kind of policy - if you're let go or fired, they go out of their way to put negative notes on workers' U5s (I know many former co-workers who have told me that RBC has done this to them), making it very difficult to find work in the industry - it's disgusting and it's borderline illegal.

10. "Trading Floor Assistant"

Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at RBC as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting, yet professional environment working along side educated, hardworking and successful traders that know how to enjoy their free time as well.

Cons

This particular location too about 1 hour and 30 to get to, but worth the trip.

Showing 152 of 2,699 reviews