RBC Reviews | Glassdoor

RBC President/CEO David I. McKay
David I. McKay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be an issue (in 48 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours are required (in 52 reviews)

1. "Another happy former employee"

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

I was able to work with a lot of great people during my tenure at RBC.

Cons

RBC (US) has gone through quite a bit of growth in the last few years, and has not been able to keep up with relevant technology orprovide enough support staff. Based on contacts with current employees, morale is low as RBC culled a large percentile of US staff, leaving remaining employees to struggle to keep up even as they're wondering if they'll be eliminated next. I have yet to meet an individual who regrets leaving RBC.

2. "RBC Bank"

Former Employee - CSST Advisor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - CSST Advisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RBC Bank (GA) N.A. is a wholly owned subsidiary of RBC. As such it has most of the advantages of the large parent company as well as some of the advantages of a small company. PTO is generous with an employee moving to 20 days per year at year 3 and up to 5 days roll over year to year. Benefits are industry standard for large companies (extensive health, dental, vision, life insurance choices). The company offers a volunteer grant that you can apply for volunteer time in 5 hour increments up to 40 hours and $500 per year. Their maternity/paternity leave is well above US average - I believe it is currently 12 weeks paid.

As a small bank, you can know everyone in the organization and have lots of access to senior management. Each person wears many hats and jobs at the company tend to have more breadth than similar titles at larger companies.

Employees live the company values for the most part. Many employees have over 20 years of experience with the company and are very willing to help new employees. They are dedicated to the success of the company and the servicing of our clients.

Cons

There are not enough bodies to cover the workload. Employees are encouraged to raise their hand if they are falling behind, but this mainly results in micromanagement and second guessing of the employee's ability to manage time. Pay is either right at or right below industry and local standard for Raises are minimal if at all and often measure 1% or less. STI does not vary much from year to year regardless of performance.

Career advancement generally meant waiting for someone to retire, although this is improving.

Senior management is drawn mainly from Canada. Middle management is mostly legacy from a rural operations center that was closed when PNC bought RBC USA. These two groups form the main cliques in the company and a new employee would need to successfully navigate them to thrive. The company is making a concerted effort to remove silos and convert the culture to one that is more proactive on the client's behalf and less about passing the buck. This is causing workplace stress.

Flexible work arrangements like work from home and non-standard hours are disappearing. They are still official policy but are unlikely to get manager approval.

Advice to Management

RBC Bank would benefit from more transparency. The job market will not allow you to continue to take average pay with industry standard benefits and attract above average employees. Many employees are discouraged by the work load and what is perceived as management indifference or disregard of employee concerns in this area. There is also a perception that favorite employees get

3. "RBC"

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

RBC has talented and hard working employees. They have great employee benefits along with exceptional learning and development opportunities.

Cons

Large company with many business segments which makes communication at the organization a challenge. Its a matrix reporting environment which makes the decision process slow and its hard to deliver results on time as a whole. As a result there is a lot of confusion and frustration in the organization.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and stay true to your collective ambition beliefs ( vision and values).

4. "Stuffy, Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

the pay is in line with banking

Cons

people try to be unapproachable and misogynistic; high turnover

"Would not recommend"

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Small organization in the US to allow for more exposure and learning opportunities.
    Reasonable hours.

Cons

Poor management.
    Old-school, good ol' boy leadership.
    Very rare work from home opportunities.
    Stingey vacation/leave package in the US.
    Tone from the top creates a very hyper-critical environment where everyone gripes about each-other and makes the place very unprofessional and similar to high school.

6. "Investment Banking: No Meritocracy, Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

decent pay; average deal flow; free food

Cons

strong favoritism and low possibility of being recognized; preaches racial + gender equality but not followed in certain groups; little mentorship

"AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, casual Fridays, early dismissal on holiday weekends. And free lunch if your clients didn't eat during your meeting you get their leftovers.

Cons

Extremely shady business decisions - 2 group heads were replaced by a new team from another bank without their knowledge. They were notified by clients that they were being replaced. Management did not even have the decency to notify them. Bankers are let go very often before you can bond with them. High turnover in analysts due to very long hours 9am-2am-ish. Your contract will not be renewed if you didn't brown nose. Overnighters happen often. And do not complain about anything to management because that's a problem for them and gives them extra work. MD's are either poor or amazing, very inconsistent. There are only a handful of people that are willing to be genuine mentors. Please DO NOT WORK HERE.

8. "current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance
    ethical company that treats its customers and employees well on balance
    benefits and vacation time are both good, bordering on generous
    the company is huge, your experience will depend largely on where you land.

Cons

Communication and collaboration are ongoing challenges.
    Advancement and development opportunities are rare. The company has no interest in anyone thinking or learning beyond their immediate position.

Advice to Management

Create an environment where employees can speak honestly about what they think and provide some latitude for them to make improvements. There is a lot of lip service to this idea currently but it needs to go further.

9. "Varies by location"

Former Employee - Senior Client Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Client Associate

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

6% 401K match is great. In my search for a new job, I didn't find any that were at 6%.

Cons

I do think RBC is a great company, and maybe this is a great job at another location. Just like when you can go to a restaurant chain and you're expecting the same, but go to another location and it's horrible. That's what it's like here. I talk to other employees at other locations and their experiences are different than mine. The two things that stand out to me that are bad is compensation and technology. I feel tricked and brainwashed staying here for as long as I did. I was told, you'll never be able to go somewhere else and make what you do here, you're almost capped out. BOOM..find another job making $17,000 base salary more. 2nd thing, Technology - I don't even know how to describe it. RBC's fix seems to workarounds, in other words, learn how to do it wrong. There are things that go by for years that aren't addressed or fixed. Technology sets us far back from our competitors.

Advice to Management

You have to pay people to work. You have to pay your long term employees to retain them. Its 2017 and far to easy to go somewhere else and make more money. I don't need to say anything to management about technology...they know.

10. "Okay"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at RBC as an intern

Pros

Work schedule was okay

Cons

Far drive, not everyone can see the attached file.

Showing 242 of 2,706 reviews