RBC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,257 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be an issue (in 45 reviews)

• Long hours like any other investment banking job, but better considering the strong culture (in 49 reviews)

1. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Banking Advisor in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Banking Advisor in Ontario, CA

Pros

Very focused on the client. Sales targets are reasonable. The biggest focuses this year are collaboration and enabling our clients to use digital banking.

Cons

The only problem with retail banking is the salary. The bonus is nice at the end of the year but honestly it's still not a high enough paying job for the stress, amount of work, and outside training required to get into the role.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing but maybe review the pay scales. There has been no change in 2017 despite the cost of living (housing) flying through the roof.

2. "Associate Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Conservative institution. Friendly work environment. Great work life balance.

Cons

Non-client facing departments are just treated like cost centers.

3. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to get your foot in the door to learn the business, then move on.

Cons

A lot of favoritism.

4. "Better than bulge bracket life"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at RBC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Resources are limited but that means that you get to do more and step up your responsibilities.

Cons

still building out brand in the U.S.

Advice to Management

Work harder on talent retention. Pay needs to be commensurate with street.

"Global Credit / Corporate Banking"

Former Employee - Vice President Corporate Banking in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Corporate Banking in New York, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed office environment, exposure to other capital market desks and ability to build relationships across the bank. Constant deal flow which exposes you to a large part of midstream space.

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunities; top heavy office with no turnover at senior levels (who are almost exclusively Canadian); appalling lack of expertise and leadership at senior levels results in low to no business growth; complex or high involvement transactions are limited; palpable baseless favoritism; inundated with office politics that creates have and have-nots; annoying Canadian counterparts that think they are know-it-alls and consistently try to undermine work; compensation bears little correlation with work product, revenue or return metrics; corporate culture is annoyingly PC and run by airheads; limited growth opportunities, training or mentoring.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of bank you want to be; promote better work habits, reward high performers and cut some of the senior execs that contribute zero $ in revenue.

"Corporate Banking, RBC Capital Markets"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Relaxed office with ability to build relationships with entire team; Well compensated but rest of the market is catching up; Constant deal-flow that exposes you to a large part of the upstream & midstream space; More than a participation bank but high involvement transactions are limited; Exposure to other capital market groups in the bank (IB coverage & product groups); engineers on staff which presents good learning opportunities for e&p space;

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunities, top heavy office with no turnover at senior levels; Low-to-no business growth; Palpable, baseless favoritism; Inundated with office politics that created haves & have-nots; Work is dumped on junior staff; Bad work habits by some in office; Annoying Canadian counterparts that consistently try to undermine your work; Compensation has minimal correlation with work product; personal business will be out in the open; throughout the whole organization nobody has your back even though you are told the opposite; corporate culture (Toronto/NY) is annoyingly PC

Advice to Management

Promote better work habits equally throughout the office. Not rewarding hard work is penalizing it - everyone isn't blind

7. "No loyalty and you will only hear crickets"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RBC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned at RBC Wealth Management in Minneapolis, MN as a business analyst. I was in the Technical and Operations program (T&O). I worked in the Project Delivery Office (PDO). Great team and nice people for the most part. Learned great life lessons and made some great connections.

Cons

No loyalty at all. All interns gave a 5 minute end of internship presentation. I was told this presentation would help us land a direct hire job if it went well. I felt like my presentation was definitely a lot better than most of the other interns. Months went by and I have not heard anything from RBC. One guy that rambled on and went over the time limit of the presentation got hired while I was left jobless. I felt like I did a much better job than him. Sure the presentation was only a part of the hiring factor but I was left hanging from the company. Didn't hear any feedback about my internship performance and the presentation at all. Attempts to contact the company were left with crickets. I also applied to a few business Analyst roles but never heard anything back. I have experience within the company but that doesn't matter to them.

Advice to Management

Have a better communication system with your interns. Don't leave them hanging. Just tell them straight up with they will likely get a direct-hire job or not.

"Internship"

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at RBC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere and great co-workers

Cons

Not enough space for me to work

"Credit Risk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

RBC does not value non revenue generating departments.

No career path

Promotions and salary increases are non existent.

Advice to Management

Canadian management not in touch with US market.

10. "Very good company"

Former Employee - Business Strategy Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Strategy Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at RBC (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone there is very kind and helpful with teaching new hires how to fit into the business.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack in leadership.

Advice to Management

Focus on making your managers have a relationship with their coworkers

Showing 2,257 of 2,553 reviews