RBC Reviews | Glassdoor

2,087 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,087 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be an issue (in 39 reviews)

• Long hours like any other investment banking job, but better considering the strong culture (in 48 reviews)

1. "Wealth Management Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Pros

Hours are reasonable. Pretty laid back environment for a borderline bulge-bracket bank. Access to restricted company information - great place to study the market and prepare for a career in finance.

Cons

Pay was not great, slow-tempo office environment sometimes gets boring. Working for a portfolio manager of the branch required a lot of grunt work (printing, mailing, sorting, etc.)

Advice to Management

Make learning more hands on, we are there to learn. Give us more hours if necessary, I just always wanted to learn more than I actually did.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, teamwork, high integrity

Cons

pace maybe too slow, weak m&a and equity departments

"Sales-Trader Who Wouldn't Have His Worst Enemy Work Here"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

- there are some groups that are well run within the bank, unfortunately I was not in one of them
    - bank is investing in new businesses that they desperately need in an attempt to catch up to the bulge bracket
    - if you're a brown-noser type of worker, you may succeed here. unfortunately, if you're actually focused on serving clients, it's best to go elsewhere.

Cons

unfortunately this list will be much longer, so here we go

- lots of turnover: i was at the bank for five years, much longer than most people last there. in my time, i saw my group almost completely turnover twice (i.e. they fired everyone in my group and then hired a new group)
    - distant management: you can certainly talk to your direct manager but try talking to a higher level manager and you'll be put in your place
    - incompetent management: lower management can fly under the radar for years (and i've witnessed it) without upper management doing much to stop them - they're mostly just concerned about keeping their own jobs. you see this trickle down as non-management also is mostly concerned with keeping their jobs/getting bonuses rather than actually doing their jobs well
    - low pay: not competitive pay - you do not get paid based on how much commission you made or your trade profits: you get paid based on how much you throw your coworkers under the bus - come bonus time (around the fall), you'll notice people trying to jockey for bigger parts of the bonus pool. instead of focusing on how they can serve their clients best, they try to complain to management about how everyone else is terrible

Advice to Management

- listen to your minority workers: women and minorities often have advice for upper management which goes ignored
    - treat people better: RBC has a scorched earth kind of policy - if you're let go or fired, they go out of their way to put negative notes on workers' U5s (I know many former co-workers who have told me that RBC has done this to them), making it very difficult to find work in the industry - it's disgusting and it's borderline illegal.

5. "Good Values, People, and Envirnoment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Good place to work. The people are amazing.

Cons

pay pay pay pay pay

6. "Solid Bank"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, nice perks. Great location.

Cons

A lot of red tape at the bank.

7. "Client Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are intelligent, courteous, and great to work with. They are eager to assist others in any way they can to resolve issues.

Cons

The technology is lacking and needs to be improved in order to compete with competitors and to bring in new business.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on system enhancements and applications. This will increase efficiency and demonstrate to clients that the company has the best interest of the clients in mind.

8. "My experience at RBC Insurance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

The company really believes in empowering its people to do what needs doing. See something that's not working correctly? It will get fixed without blaming the person who found it. They also believe in work/life balance. Senior Management is in touch with the rank and file; they know what's going on day to day.

Cons

I worked on the P&C side, which RBC hasn't been involved in for too long (15-20 years), and as a subsidiary of a bank, they don't really understand how catastrophes work, that sometimes you lose money due to occurrences outside your control (like the weather), and you can't live or die on one year's results.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Complex Operations Associate, Branch Associate in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. Management made sure you knew they were always there for you

Cons

There were no downsides to working there. I would work there again in a heartbeat

10. "Business Delivery Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fair Lawn, NJ

I worked at RBC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Best project management experience. good leaders

Cons

There are no downsides to the job I had. I learnt a lot

11. "Change is constant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cascade, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cascade, IA

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent career development experience
    Worked on top experience-building projects
    Worked in a tight-knit Caribbean team and with very knowledgeable and friendly Toronto staff

Cons

Second boss did not fully understand the environment, preferring instead to impose Canadian approaches, whether they fit or not
    Change is constant in this organisation. While at one time there was a dedicated department to handle change, the company has never fully settled down since RBC bought RBTT in 2008, leading to discomfort for staff and many negative reviews from clients.

Showing 2,087 of 2,362 reviews