RBC Reviews in Vancouver, BC | Glassdoor

RBC Vancouver Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Vancouver, BC, Canada Area (Canada)

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RBC President/CEO David I. McKay
David I. McKay

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be an issue (in 40 reviews)

• Long hours like any other investment banking job, but better considering the strong culture (in 49 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

I find the people great. Good benefits.

Cons

Cant really think of one

2. "Client Advisor"

Current Intern - Banking Advisor in Abbotsford, BC (Canada)
    Current Intern - Banking Advisor in Abbotsford, BC (Canada)

I have been working at RBC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Organization with an abundance of opportunities

Cons

Demanding work environment for all employees

3. "nkhhol"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

Best working environment and a cordial staff

Cons

working hours not flexible enough

5. "Compensation"

Current Employee - Banking Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great culture, friendly staff, reasonable goals for compensation

Cons

None, nice good management team. Work can be overwhelming like other jobs but great company

Advice to Management

Great coaching, great training, very supportive, proud to work for rbc

6. "Client and banking advisor deals with active sales management and client focused activities."

Current Employee - Banking Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at RBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading in industry, good charitable contributions, good benefits, strong in technology, strong products and services, support staff are very good, and good reputation.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, not always competent individuals in positions, call center has large turn around which leads to poor training and mistakes, executive staff more concerned with their bonuses then non executive staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to frontline staff more and distribute earning more evenly.

"Mental torture and humiliation"

Former Employee - Call Centre Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Call Centre Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct management is usually excellent. They are employees who excel at entry-level so they know the job. Charity giving and community volunteering organised through the company is excellent.

I worked in the contact centre so I loved the flexibility of the hours. Their seniority system is very fair and includes employees that left for a bunch of years to return.

Cons

1. Nepotism. It's who you had as a manager (or who you know in the company) that affects your career trajectory. I watched awesome and high-value employees (not me as I never wanted to be promoted) flounder and fail after disillusionment.

2. Scam Coworkers. While not "illegal" many high performers tricked customers into upgrades or scammed the sale (sorry, "solution" in RBC speak) tracking system. There was no anonymous way to report it and direct managers (who needed the high sales on their records) would do NOTHING unless the scammers were discovered by a third party (usually when a higher-up pulled a random call and looked like an idiot when the High Performer is scamming the client). So many calls started with a client screaming at me over a fee caused by an upgrade they didn't know anything about.

3. PUSH THOSE SALES, SON. I had phenomenal customer service stats (the highest on my team) but I was always on some form of probation based on my sales. So even though customers loved talking to me, I struggled every day with inadequacy and fear of failure. I started the job years previously when it was customer service with a small side of sales. Then through the years I was with them, the focus sprung onto almost SALES OOPS DID I SAY SALES I MEANT SOLUTIONS entirely but also whether customers would recommend RBC (No doubt so that they could win some bank award. If you want to retaliate at a terrible employee mark low on the Likelihood to Recommend portion of the survey. That's the only customer service they give any care about.)

3. Transparency. I have never worked in a place so riddled with gossip because the management refused to share ANY information with employees. The building was sold and we found out through a public news site. None of us knew it was up for sale or that they were thinking of alternatives for the call centre location. Or whether we would keep our jobs or not.

4. Abuse. No thanks for dealing with a man who threatened you but get your buttcheeks on that phone because STATS. Your mental health is important, but not reeeeeaaally. If it wasn't sales it didn't matter. I refused to hang up on clients who were completely verbally abusive because I had this misguided assumption that RBC gave a darn about me and them and would appreciate the effort of retention. Screaming wheels get whatever they want and so by encouraging this behaviour RBC has made it even more toxic an environment for front line. I would count each day by the number of screaming monsters I dealt with. Six people swearing at me and calling me some form of stupid meant it was lunch time. Or sometimes first break. It was brutal. I felt so small. So insignificant. My company thought I was stupid. The customers thought I was stupid. I began to believe it. The amount of therapy I went through to get back to where I was just before working at RBC has been so expensive I should send them a bill. I even spent some time on call escalations (you know, when the jerks amongst clients ask for a manager) because my customer service scores were so high. It broke me. No company no matter how much their bottom line should allow that kind of verbal abuse to come from clients. And if you have ANY empathy do not apply for a job at RBC. You will end up on stress leave and a concoction of three different types of antidepressants.

5. Goats to Pasture. Want to know why nobody says the same thing? Why does the branch tell you one thing, the call-centre another? Cause the central help desk is run by close to retirement goats who are just riding out their last weeks munching on cud and expleting nonsense. They are supposed to be knowledgeable, but half the time the explanations they give are WRONG. I am a rules person and read the policies and procedures. I would call for assistance with help desk for weird questions, but at some point realised that I was talking to the people the bank cannot fire. So they don't care. There was one guy who worked back east in Montreal and Toronto that would just make stuff up. All of us knew his name and would hang up to call again. He was never fired from help desk. I just imagine all the branches who didn't have the awareness that the guy was terrible probably listened to him and gave bad information or screwed up accounts completely.

Advice to Management

Give a dang.

Mostly stop focusing on the sales. Yeah you are not the Royal Bank of Charity but you ARE your employees. If someone is struggling with part of the job then get them training for another part. If they apply for a job WITHOUT sales don't judge their performance based on the sales portion. Focus on strengths and not ALWAYS SALES.

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Adjudication Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Adjudication Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with great people

Cons

Horrible shifts for my department, all good shifts taken by employees with longer tenure.

9. "Client advisor"

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at RBC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good training and supportive staff

Cons

Saturday need working and longer hours

Advice to Management

more touch base with staff

10. "good learning"

Former Intern - Teller in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Intern - Teller in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good entry level job for learning about banking

Cons

the pay is quite low and you fill like another cog in the system

Advice to Management

pay your workers more

11. "Being a Visa Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Visa Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at RBC full-time

Pros

Benefits were great but thats pretty much it.

Cons

Top down management approach. And definetly does not have an open door policy. Just too much politics in general.

Showing 90 of 2,429 reviews