RCLCO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Gadi Kaufmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "RCLCO consulting analyst review"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RCLCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it was a great experience with great co-workers who were always willing to teach me.

Cons

No additional bonus pays for overtime hours.

2. "Solid place to begin real estate career on balance"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at RCLCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High-agency, empowering environment
    - Tremendous opportunity for upward mobility and significant responsibility at very early stages
    - Analytically rigorous and engaging project opportunities
    - Surrounded by intelligent and ambitious peers, and upper-management
    - Well-respected within the industry, solid launchpad for career in real estate

Cons

- Lack of investment in lower-level employees -- very limited training and not much emphasis on professional development. Pressures of project workload leave little time for anything else.
    - Though branded as a generalist, small-office (e.g. Orlando and Austin) employees are pigeonholed into working on a narrow range of projects that office MDs sell
    - Long work hours and emphasis on sometimes unattainable quantitative metrics (e.g. Multiplier) creates stressful work environment at times
    - Disconnect between workload and compensation, though that appears to have changed a bit more recently

Advice to Management

- Do a better job of integrating smaller offices, both culturally and in terms of project staffing (especially on non-local projects). Long-term benefits of cross-office collaboration and knowledge sharing will outweigh short-term efficiency losses.
    - Invest in your employees and emphasize their professional development. Consider achievements in this realm more equivalent to project billings during reviews. Will yield long-term company benefits through both skill development and longer employee tenures.

3. "Perfect Place to Start a Career in Real Estate"

Former Employee - Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at RCLCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
    -Numerous professional development opportunities
    -Strong support from middle and upper management
    -Ability to learn market analysis and develop related skills very quickly
    -Opportunities for upward movement, if you are open to learning about all of the company's practice groups

Cons

-Somewhat of a mismatch/knowledge gap between what how many hours a project might take and how long it actually takes
    -Very heavy focus on your multiplier as a metric to determine performance and future with the company

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about weaknesses and opportunities for growth during performance reviews

4. "Great place to start in real estate, questionable culture limits desire for long-term growth"

I have been working at RCLCO full-time

Pros

Really smart team working on a wide variety of projects. You quickly gain broad exposure to multiple product types and markets in a short amount of time. Excellent pay. If you can stick it out, strong path of growth.

Cons

The company culture, which emphasizes long hours and lacks a sense of higher purpose, leaves something to be desired as indicated by the high-rate of staff turnover. Repetitive nature of the 3-6 week project cycles becomes stale after a couple years. Lack of camaraderie and everyone's stressed all the time.

Advice to Management

Define the purpose of the firm beyond billable hours. Improve communication about what's happening at the firm and why.

5. "Not a bad place to start out of college, but long-term potential limited unless you're devoted to real estate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RCLCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart, nice people: I made some lifelong friends at this company whom I still keep in touch with regularly. Not a cutthroat environment and people generally look out for each other.
    - Interesting work: I had the opportunity to work on high-profile projects with a wide variety of clients.
    - Skills development: Good place to hone your financial modeling skills, which can be transferable to other industries.
    - Growth opportunity: From my experience, it's possible to move up at this company relatively quickly, based on your aptitude.
    - Free drinks and snacks: Definitely took this for granted!

Cons

- Mismatch of work to project budget: There is a perfectionist attitude that forces people to go above and beyond on most projects, even when there is a limited budget to work with. This results in some late nights and general frustration, particularly when project managers or directors get too into the weeds on projects.
    - Office variability: Though sold as a generalist role, the work will vary across offices due to the focuses of the MD in each office. This makes some people considered more valuable within the firm, particularly if you work on the institutional advisory practice group.
    - High turnover: Something I encountered during my time there, both forced and natural.

Advice to Management

Understand when things are "good enough" and focus on bigger priorities.

"Things could not get better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RCLCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am here less than a year and I sometimes wonder why did not I join this place earlier. Yes, that is exactly how I feel about this place.

This is a small company with offices in 4 US metros, Washington DC and Los Angeles being their biggest presence. Why this place is so unique? We get to work with the best minds of industry and outside, majority from top notch colleges in US. Right from Associate to VPs, Managaing Directors and CEO - we all collaborate our ideas, we have ample opportunities to present ideas and if liked, we are given full responsibility to implement those.

The CEO, Gadi, a great visionary and he never fails to appreciate even a minuscule achievement.

Compensation is great, if one can perform, there is no limit to excel.

It's a fun environment too. Lots of themed days and office gatherings make things even more special. I always feel at ease here and strive to achieve more.

Cons

Health Insurance package could be improved.

Advice to Management

Great going.

7. "Summer Associate"

Pros

Working here gave me a lot of insight and knowledge into the real estate industry. I got way better at using excel and also learned what it means to think analytically. The firm is full of very smart and hard working people which provides for a learning environment. Additionally, most projects will only last a couple of months which is great if you get a project you don't like.

Cons

Everyone is always "doing their thing" and collaboration doesn't really seem to exist outside of scheduled phone calls and meetings. Although the projects are taken on as a team, collaboration could be improved.

Advice to Management

Improve the teamwork environment as some people actually enjoy working in teams.

"Senior Associate"

I have been working at RCLCO full-time

Pros

Lots of exposure to multiple projects, asset classes and geographies in a short amount of time.

Cons

Blisteringly high turnover rate. Consulting is not for everyone, but many are gently shown the door (aka fired) once management decides they have no future with the company.

Advice to Management

Encourage a better work-life balance. Don't burn through people at such a high rate.

"Great first job, great experience."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RCLCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a hire straight out of college, I was exposed to a large variety of product types across multiple geographies (even got a site visit to Latin America!). I was very pleasantly surprised with the amount of responsibility I was given and the high profile of the projects I worked on. Projects I worked on often ended up in the LA Times; RCLCO is definitely the go-to firm for big projects in LA and employees reap the benefit of that status.

RCLCO is a great place to learn about real estate. If you are hard working and motivated, you will be given a lot of responsibility very quickly. Opportunities for advancement are great; if you stick around for a few years and perform well, you can quickly make it to a management position. The culture in the LA office was awesome, my coworkers became great friends and working with people I liked so much made long nights much more bearable.

If you are interested in real estate, this is a great first job. If you are interested in real estate and want to be in consulting, there is no better place to be. Working at RCLCO was an amazing experience, and I highly recommend it to fresh graduates.

Cons

Consulting isn't a long-term thing for everyone, so there is a lot of turnover. However, most people who choose to leave do so not because they are unhappy at RCLCO, but because they find opportunities elsewhere that better fit their long-term goals. I suspect this is just the nature of consulting.

Hours can get long, especially when multiple deadlines fall within a few days of each other. It is really important to be realistic with your projections, and be willing to speak up and say no to projects when you don't have time.

The focus on billable hours can make you feel like you're working for nothing when a project is already already budget.

"Great learning experience. Great people."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at RCLCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RCLCO provides excellent growth opportunities, especially for people looking to start their career in real estate. As an Associate, I was exposed to a wide variety of land uses, project types, and clients. Working closely with senior management, (many with decades of experience), provides a learning experience that is uncommon for most entry-level positions in the industry. Compensation markedly improves as you progress to project management duties, and with that, more responsibility and autonomy.

Promotion track is largely self-directed: if you show that you can do the work effectively, and think on your feet, promotions will come quickly. This is not a firm where "blending in" leads to success.

If consulting is your passion, then RCLCO is a great long-term fit. If it is not your passion, the experience can easily be parlayed to a position with a variety of other real estate companies. The firm has a solid reputation in the industry, and will open doors for you going forward should you decide to move on.

Cons

-Work-life balance is challenging at times, especially when firm-wide work flow increases
    -Constant struggle between hitting your billable hours targets and being creative can lead to long-term challenges
    -Cross-office collaboration is also quite difficult, although this is probably an issue for all companies

Advice to Management

-Don't let the review cycle be the sole determinant of promotions, particularly for stand-out Associates
    -Team members seeking other opportunities with great companies reflects positively on the firm. There is no need to maintain secrecy about the subject
    -Clarify how billable hours are tied to compensation